Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys. I have a 2006 GU patrol ute.

I have only just noticed that when i turn corners the wheel on the outside of my diff is chirping as if the diff is locking up.

also the other day when i had a load of about 600kg on the back and was reversing it almost felt like it was binding up.

it does not have air lockers or anthing like that in it. my mechanic said it sounds like someone has put the incorrect oil in it and has said to change the oil to ls90 diff oil. just wanted to get a couple of opinions before i went ahead and spent the money on oil.

thanks.

·
Registered
nissan
486 Posts
I had the same noises and chirping. I normally do all my own servicing but didnt feel like this time and you guessed it.........they put the wrong f&^%king oil in. Drained and replaced with the right stuff and no more problems.

·
Registered
862 Posts
even if you put the right oil in and then do something stupid (like I did) you will get this as the oil wears out. I put on a spare (which was a long way down) on the rear. The other rear tyre was new. The difference in radius meant that that the LSD was working all the time and the oil lasted only about 300 km before the chirping started. New oil and putting the old spare on the front fixed the problem. The lsd still works and that was about 12 years ago.

·
Registered
nissan GU iv 2006
1,720 Posts
Hey mate, I think the other guys have covered it.
I use castrol lsx 85w/140. Penrite also make a 85/140.- DONT use lsx90

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GRX 2003
121 Posts
I think mine has the same issue...
how many qt it needs to replace all diff oil?

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GRX 2003
121 Posts
any 85w/140 diff oil will work? or it has to be specific for LSD?

·
Registered
Nissan
331 Posts
hi guys. I have a 2006 GU patrol ute.

I have only just noticed that when i turn corners the wheel on the outside of my diff is chirping as if the diff is locking up.

thanks.

It should be the tyre on the INSIDE that is chirping if any ie the wheel closest to the roundabout etc . Are you sure it is the outside wheel ? Not only is easier for inside wheel to try and speed up than the outside wheel to slow down , all the weight of the vehicle is getting transferred to the outside wheel . The weight is also being lifted off of the inside wheel .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.