Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
My TD42 NA cracked No4 piston 2 weeks ago and I'm building new motor (not my old one) Where can I find info on TD42T internal specs like Pistons , Rods, and Oil squirters (could be other names they're the oilers that squirt up in to pistons for lube / cooling.
My Na has them in bores but I've heard they are shorter the the TD42T ones. (need to sus it out) Also TD42T Rods - I'm told that TD42T rods have 30mm gudgeon's what other things can identify them from NA ones?

Any help would be great.

David

nissan patrol y60
433 Posts
Td42t has bigger crank also if i was u id pick up a short td42t if u can and get ur td42 head rebuilt to suit everything else bolts on. Get ur pump and injecters redone to suit td42t this is what i did except i actually used td42t head also

·
Registered
nissan patrol
613 Posts
Was led to believe the piston cooling jets were the same with both engines.
Yes you will have the 30 mm gudgeon pins in your series 1 N/A engine and the turbo pistons will slip straight on, they will come with new pins also.
Rings will also be different.
Rods will not need to be upgraded.
Only difference in the cylinder heads is in the pre-combustion chambers.
Cam and followers are the same, push rods are the same. Rocker gear etc..
Maybe go for a higher flow oil pump if you can get you hands on one.

nissan patrol y60
433 Posts
Im running standard td42 oil pump no problems so far

·
Registered
nissan patrol
613 Posts
Im running standard td42 oil pump no problems so far
Yeah so am I but that was just the advice I got from a couple of comp engine builders.
I am not planning on anything crazy from mine, but after reading ModdedGU's thread, seems he is in the process of building this one up as a comp truck.
Might be advisable if he runs a separate engine oil cooler and a higher flow pump to get rid of some excess heat from the turbo bearings to prevent Varnishing under high load, high heat situations.
Doesn't have to, just a safety precaution to prevent premature turbo failure.
Will also help to keep the bottom of the piston crowns cooler too, if running high fuel and boost.

·
Registered
nissan safari y60
250 Posts
Is the crank, flywheel the same for pre Aug 93 na TD42 [siver top engine] as the TD42t?
I got a TD42t engine to do up and a TD42 [black top-later model], clearly the TD42t has a different flywheel. Need to know so I can source another flywheel.

nissan patrol y60
433 Posts
Yes different size boss at flywheel bolt up so will need to source td42t flywheel clutches are the same im running gu turbo clutch in my gq td42 n/a

nissan patrol y60
433 Posts
Black top silver top cranks are the same (td42 n/a)

·
Registered
nissan patrol
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes different size boss at flywheel bolt up so will need to source td42t flywheel clutches are the same im running gu turbo clutch in my gq td42 n/a
I'm pretty sure the NA flywheels can have boss engaging Dia machined out to enable them to fit onto TD42T crank...........Have been having conversations with Oldmav about this.

David

·
Registered
nissan patrol
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Was led to believe the piston cooling jets were the same with both engines.
Yes you will have the 30 mm gudgeon pins in your series 1 N/A engine and the turbo pistons will slip straight on, they will come with new pins also.
Rings will also be different.
Rods will not need to be upgraded.
Only difference in the cylinder heads is in the pre-combustion chambers.
Cam and followers are the same, push rods are the same. Rocker gear etc..
Maybe go for a higher flow oil pump if you can get you hands on one.
Cheers for the info Scuba, I have heard only one person mention a High Volume Oil Pump and a lot of others who have done all this before say they've never heard of a HV one. Does anyone know if TD42T Oil Pumps are different to TD42 NA Oil Pumps??
I knew about the Pre-combustions being different, I've also heard the late model TD42Ti head have better cooling. Water circulation I'm guessing.

Ok so by the looks To build a TD42T bottom end I would need to purchase TD42T Pistons and their rings sets, Find a TD42T Crank and the rest I could use my NA stuff, like rods and oil jets!!

nissan patrol y60
433 Posts
Factory td42t crank will not fit na 4.2 block as main journals are bigger

·
Registered
nissan patrol
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
nissan patrol y60
433 Posts
The crank is a much stronger crank u i am 80 positive main journals are larger also u will need td42t balancer as this has larger diameter also. The motor in project pat is out of 00 gu 4.2t it was a short motor and then i sourced new head when i was at nissan dealership ten the flywheel and balancer pretty much everything else was same from na 4.2

·
Registered
nissan patrol
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is the crank, flywheel the same for pre Aug 93 na TD42 [siver top engine] as the TD42t?
I got a TD42t engine to do up and a TD42 [black top-later model], clearly the TD42t has a different flywheel. Need to know so I can source another flywheel.
Factory td42t crank will not fit na 4.2 block as main journals are bigger
Now I'm confused!! Hey NZDAN can you measure up the Main bearing and big end journals for us I'd like to put this confusion to bed?
DAvid

nissan patrol y60
433 Posts
Main journal dia. "Dm" 70.907 - 70.920MM (2.7916 - 2.7921)IN THIS IS NA TD42
Pin journal dia. "Dp" 56.913 - 56.926MM (2.2407 - 2.2412)IN

NOT SURE ON TD42T AS I DONT HAVE MANUAL DOWNLOADED

·
Registered
nissan patrol
613 Posts
Ok so by the looks To build a TD42T bottom end I would need to purchase TD42T Pistons and their rings sets, Find a TD42T Crank and the rest I could use my NA stuff, like rods and oil jets!!
No need to worry about finding another crank,
Just use the N/A one and the rest of your bits will be a much easier build with out having to try and find bits that will fit. Flywheel, damper and pulleys, rods etc...
The N/A crank will handle anything you can throw at it.
Have seen more than a few High output engines built on an N/A base putting out over 260hp.
Even this requires the modification of inlet manifolds and cooling system upgrades anyway.
How far are you planning on pushing it??

·
Registered
nissan safari y60
250 Posts
Now I'm confused!! Hey NZDAN can you measure up the Main bearing and big end journals for us I'd like to put this confusion to bed?
DAvid

I can do just dont have the engines here and not sure when they will be, hopefully next week. One is TD42t the other is plain black top engine.
I will eventuallty strip both, do-up the TD42t and sell the the TD42 n/a silver top thats currently in truck, black top has apparently got a cracked head.
Might take a while to find time and funds to do, but with both engines side by side will be easy to see and measure differences, and will post up.

·
Registered
nissan
232 Posts
In all the workshop manuals I've looked at the crank journal sizes are the same, the flywheel mounting bolts are spaced on a larger circle (PCD) about 15mm by eye along with an enlarged mounting flange. The balancer on the front of the crank is retained by a larger bolt, M36 td42t vs M24 td42. Apart from those differences there is not much difference in strength between them according to Old Mav.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts