Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Pass the Popcorn
Nissan Datsun Patrol
6,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick Question! Is there any difference between the 7" round headlights in the GQ compared with the ones in the MQ Patrol! Do the GQ headlights have H4 globes in them? Is the bolt pattern the same? Reason I ask is I accidently picked up some 24v H4 globes b4 checking the globe assembly in the MQ.

Mq globes seem built in to the rear of the light itself :confused: Can anyone confirm? Ive taken the bullbar off so (if I can fit GQ round headlights and using the H4 globes) b4 it goes back on, it would make it easier to fit.

If anyone has had any experience with this or can point me to the right post I would love to hear about it.

Thanks in advance! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
106 Posts
yeh can be done although if they are higher wattage you may want to relay them to save the light switch can also just go into any parts shop and buy 7 inch semi sealed assemblies and use them doesnt have to be gq specific

·
Registered
nissan MQ
185 Posts
I replaced my original sealed beam lights with after market lights that I could fit my own choice of bulbs. I chose the 50% plus bulbs. 50% more light for the same current drain as the standard bulbs. They cost $20 per bulb, rather than the $10 each for normal bulbs. Well worth it. So no need for adding driving lights to the car. Am very happy with them.

·
Pass the Popcorn
Nissan Datsun Patrol
6,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aftermarket Sealed beam Lights

I replaced my original sealed beam lights with after market lights that I could fit my own choice of bulbs. I chose the 50% plus bulbs. 50% more light for the same current drain as the standard bulbs. They cost $20 per bulb, rather than the $10 each for normal bulbs. Well worth it. So no need for adding driving lights to the car. Am very happy with them.

Hi Millsy, Can I pick up these sealed beam lights from anywhere, or is one place better than another (or brand for that matter) Is there anything I need to watch out for? Do they provide HID in 24volt? :confused:

·
Rusty, but Trusty. Most of the time
nissan
1,185 Posts
Yeah most HID kits are multivoltage

·
Banned
682 Posts
Yeah most HID kits are multivoltage
Yeah as in 12 volt or 24v not like LEDs that can interchange.
The only differance in sealed beams is some are those multi faceted reflectors and some GQ had a differant shaped front face but any 7" light will fit

·
Pass the Popcorn
Nissan Datsun Patrol
6,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What are you guys running? Havnt you thought of upgrading?

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
411 Posts
TasMQ; said:
Yeah as in 12 volt or 24v not like LEDs that can interchange.
The only differance in sealed beams is some are those multi faceted reflectors and some GQ had a differant shaped front face but any 7" light will fit
hid run 9-36 volt. Voltage for hid's is not so much a problem as is current, they really don't like fluctuating currents and need the special electronics in the ballast to keep them happy

·
Banned
682 Posts
Mine were 12volt not multi but then some LEDs are set voltage and some are multi too so maybe HIDs are the same.

·
Pass the Popcorn
Nissan Datsun Patrol
6,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been told regular LED run btween 12 & 18 volt. Are these different?

·
Banned
Nissan mk 84
59 Posts
Don't mean to be a thread jack but I can't find any info on this here or elsewhere, can 24v bayonet (indicator brake lights etc.) Still be bought and if so where from. I already have a converter but it goes to other uses..

·
Registered
nissan patrol mk
3,306 Posts
there shouldn't be a difference between the layout of the two (12V vs 24V) only the bulb you use

You can buy all the indicators etc off eBay, and you can definitely get the bulbs from REPCO, too easy :)

In fact, I'm pretty sure that was the case when I rewired mine (Link: http://www.msdesigns.com.au/?q=Electrical) I used two rear lights out of an MQ (24V) as my MK ones (12V) was no good

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Generally only the bulbs and power source thats different
The indicator,taillights housing are all the same
24V bulbs, getting a touch hard to get,well not as easy to get as 12V bulbs
But from the larger parts places yeah easy as

The taillight housing from evilbay,
The wiring needs mods depending on the wiring plug on the car,wiring plugs are between MQ and MK

The taillights from evilbay have the MQ style lenses , not the MK which are coloured differently

1 - 14 of 14 Posts