Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
5,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering about the type of differential that comes with 1990 GQ TD42 model.
Is it H233B? What ratio is it?
Thanks for any ideas.

·
Registered
Nissan
5,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Should be h233b 4.11. But check your compliance plate.
Thanks mate.
I've been offered this complete diff which says it's from a Patrol 1990 TD42 drum brake.
I'm just wondering whether this is the standard H233B diff centre and axles or different?
Complliance plate information is not available. Diff has been abandoned for years, but the internals should be in good condition.
For example, can I use the diff centre from this(Patrol 1990 TD42 drum brake) for using on a standard disc brake GQ Patrol with a H233B diff centre?

Are the axles from drum brake diff different from the axles from disc brake?!!
Is the axle diameter same between drum brake and disc brake rears of GQs?
I'm guessing axles can't be interchangeable between drum and disc brakes, but the diameter should be the same?!

The owner says he changed from drum brake to disc brake some time ago(1990 GQ TD42).
Why would somebody do that?
Isn't drum brake better than disc brakes(for rear)?
If I'm right, drum brake rears come with full floating axle bearings.
Isn't that an advantage, as well as easier to change the bearings?

Attachments

·
just a good guy.
2009 gu ute
9,711 Posts
its an LSD diff takes Sae LS80W/90 GL5 oil. book says h233b for wagon. h260 for cab chassis. be careful as torque of nuts is different for LSD to standard diff. when u open it up it should have what ratio it is stamped on it somewhere on crown wheel. axles are the same.

·
Registered
Nissan patrol gq
751 Posts
I would use the diff head but would have the disc brakes any day over drum brakes, better stopping & easier changing pads rather than shoes.

·
Master Coalroller
nissan
3,230 Posts
1) why do you want to convert to drum?
2) that diff looks awful with the pinion been buried in mud for who knows how long, and will probably leak from pinion within minutes of warming up.
3) axles aren't interchangeable but centre carrier assembly should be. Nor are the axles floating. I fact the drum axle has only one wheel bearing, the disc axle has two.

·
Registered
Nissan
5,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1) why do you want to convert to drum?
2) that diff looks awful with the pinion been buried in mud for who knows how long, and will probably leak from pinion within minutes of warming up.
3) axles aren't interchangeable but centre carrier assembly should be. Nor are the axles floating. I fact the drum axle has only one wheel bearing, the disc axle has two.
Hi mate,
1)No, I don't want to convert to drum. It's bit too much work for me even if it's better.
Obviously disc brakes(which I have on mine now) are better for maintenance and obviously less trouble for bush driving. I thought drum brakes are more trustworthy on the road for some reason. Obviously I'm wrong.
2)I would have to replace the pinion seal and generally give a good clean of the inside of the diff centre. I would have to either wheel brush or sand blast the diff centre housing exterior to see if the rust has eaten into it too much. As it is in the picture, it would be pretty bad for use, I totally agree.
3)Thanks for letting me know axles aren't interchangeable. I won't need the axles from the above diff anyway. It's that I would've to pull the axles out to get the diff center.
I haven't seen the inside of the drum brake diff. So, I wasn't sure about that. I got the idea it's a fully floating bearing setup with two bearings on each side, either from a service manual or I read it somewhere.
Mine is a disc brake one. As far as I could see, there's only one huge bearing on each side torqued with some 350Nm. I've pulled out the left axle(not the bearing itself) quite a few times to deal with a diff oil leak from the axle oil seal. The oil leak was apparently caused by a blocked diff breather. I had to dismantle the axle too many times and replace oil seal too many times before I "discovered" the actual issue.

Thanks

·
Registered
Nissan
5,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would use the diff head but would have the disc brakes any day over drum brakes, better stopping & easier changing pads rather than shoes.
Yes. I haven't been aware of it before. I learn something new everyday. :D
Changing drum brake shoes is a PITA. That much is certain. :doh:
Thanks

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts
That's definitely a h233b in the photos. I wouldn't be using that housing. Note someone has cut/shut the shock mounts too.

Disc brakes are way better than drums. What's the reason you want this diff?..is your pumpkin damaged or do you want to change the ratio? If you want to change the ratio you'll need a front pumpkin too.

·
Registered
Nissan
5,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's definitely a h233b in the photos. I wouldn't be using that housing. Note someone has cut/shut the shock mounts too.

Disc brakes are way better than drums. What's the reason you want this diff?..is your pumpkin damaged or do you want to change the ratio? If you want to change the ratio you'll need a front pumpkin too.
Hi mate,
I just need the diff centre as a backup and then to fiddle with it for backyard projects.
At the moment, I'm rebuilding the existing diff centre.
The housing is pretty bad obviously in above pictures. Probably even too heavy for scrap metal. :D

What did you mean by the "Front Pumpkin"?
Did you mean the diff centre carrier housing(the bit I'm planning to pull out by taking
off the 11 bolts holding it)?!
Can't you change the ratio simply by changing the pinion gear and crown wheel?
Of course the bearings should be changed as well.
I thought the housing is the same between 4.375 and 4.11 diff ratio differential housings in GQs with H233B housing.

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts
Yes mate when I said pumpkin I was referring to the diff centre. And yes the housings for 4.1 and 4.3 are the same if they are both h233. All I was saying is that if you are changing your ratio you need to do both front and real...obvious I know but mentioned just in case.

·
Master Coalroller
nissan
3,230 Posts
Well Dom14 it really is good that you're keen to grab the spanners and get into it. Just make sure you make good decisions. That will make the blood sweat and skinned knuckles worthwhile. I don't know what your location is but in Oz you can get replacement diffs from wrecks easier and cheaper than awful donated ones.
Here's more info on diff ratio changes:
http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/niss...tory-diff-locker-can-i-change-gearing-188946/

All the best

·
Registered
Nissan
5,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes mate when I said pumpkin I was referring to the diff centre. And yes the housings for 4.1 and 4.3 are the same if they are both h233. All I was saying is that if you are changing your ratio you need to do both front and real...obvious I know but mentioned just in case.
That's c00L. Thanx mate. I'm only wanting to put the 4.11 diff in my 4.375 diff for the time being. So, no 4WD'ing during that time. Once I get the 4.375 diff completely rebuilt, I can take the 4.11 out and slide in the original 4.375 one. Mine is an RB30. 4.11 diff should be ok as a temporary replacement.

·
Registered
Nissan
5,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yer it'll be fine in the RB30...just don't forget and go 4wding..;)
Yep. It's the manual hub. So, I won't be putting into 4WD accidently, unless of course, I am pixx drunk. :mrgreen:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts