Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sometimes i can't get it into or out of gear with motor running. Most of the time the problem occurs when trying to get it into gear for take-off. sometimes I have trouble changing gears or cant get it back into gear when running. rare occassions i cant even get it out of gear. yesterday an additional problem started - whenever pressure is applied to clutch peddle (not even fully depressed) there is a high pitched metal squeal. cluth doesn't disengae until peddle is near the floor. i have a new slave and master cylinders.

Any help would be grately apprceiated

(YES, I do use the clutch)

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,149 Posts
xx2

·
Registered
33 Posts
Has the gearchange been getting progressivly worse, If so probably syncros in gearbox, especially if klms are high.
If the problem came on suddenly more likely clutch is not fully disengaging.
High pitched squeal is the thrust bearing on the way out.
To check for clutch fully disengaging, raise rear of vehicle and support rear axle on CAR STANDS
Start engine,idle,depress clutch, engage 1st gear,release then depress clutch and hold in ,the rear wheels wiil come to a complete stop. If they do not then clutch is still partially engaged. Bleed system and adjust pedal height then test again.(as above bent clutch fork is a possibility)If wheels will not come to a stop keep looking for clutch probs.
If clutch fully disengages then It's syncros or gearbox oil. You will be able to guess from the klms and if it is a progressive fault.

·
Registered
nissan
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks heaps...

progresively getting worse and about 290k's.

when motor is started in gear with clutch peddle on floor, we have movement (sometimes)

seems to be ok when 1st started. problems seem to increase with use (heat).

Why, oh why do I have a little voice telling me that the gear box has to come out????

·
Registered
Nissan
797 Posts
As in the clutch booster line?

·
Safari Hoarder
nissan
4,775 Posts
Clutch hydraulic line. Do you have the extra line that goes to the left hand side?

·
Registered
nissan
94 Posts
My gq developed the same problem when i was going through heaps of water crossings and puddles. The only way to get it into 1st was to start it in gear. The clutch had a late take up aswell.
When the rain stopped and everything dried out i could get it into gear fine. Strange i thought

·
Registered
nissan
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
got the old girl on stands. running cold, the gear changes are good. When in gear with the clutch in, wheels don't turn (good sign). Everytime pressure is applied to the clutch peddle that high pitched squeal is there.

Looks like i'm going to learn how to remove gear box to change bearing *oh what fun it it to...)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts