Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a leaking front crank seal and am having a hell of a time getting the pulley off. I have been using a good 3 armed pulley but no luck getting the pulley to budge. I even had a mobile mechanic come over and he tried with his gucci snap-on pulley and still no luck (he gave up and luckily didn't charge me for his failed attempt).
I'm loath to take it to Mr Nissan as I feel I can do it but maybe there is a trick to it that I'm missing. It has been in place since new (2002) so I'm thinking it's just ceased tight. The nut took a bit of effort to get off as well.
Any advice is welcome as I don't want to damage anything else (brother broke radiator hose off).
Cheers

·
Banned
2,050 Posts
Hi,

First try some anti seize spray a couple of days before your next attempt.

Have you thought about getting a 2nd hand one as a replacement and cutting it off ? If so be VERY careful not to damage the crank. Sometimes you have to sacrifice a cheap expendable part to make a job simple and not risk an expensive part - or your hands if things slip trying other ways.

Another thing I would try first though is a can of spray freeze ( from an electronics store ) spray the crank from the bolt hole, and then put a hairdryer onto the pulley ( or run hot water over it ). It will shrink the crank, and expand the pulley. A few taps on the front to shock it loose, then try the puller again.

Regards B M

1 - 2 of 2 Posts