Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any body now if the gear boxes and diff's are same or different from td42 GQ & to the ZD30 GU patrol's cheers Ken

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,062 Posts
Manual box is the same, transfer case is not, as the linkages are different. Axle housings are different.

·
Registered
96 GQ TD42T
5 Posts
Manual box is the same, transfer case is not, as the linkages are different. Axle housings are different.
Oh really? So I could replace my 95 td42 gearbox with anything from a zd30 gu?
My 2nd and 3rd synchros are not great and looking to replace, but I don't have the know how. Read a few posts here and from memory someone was saying that had to make a bit of space in one area. Have to dig it up again

·
Registered
nissan
11,120 Posts
boxes are all different. shifters are in a different location gu to gq. and as said gq transfer wont fit gu box as transfer shift leaver is totally different.
you can put a complete gu box and transfer in a gq with the correct bellhousing. but you will have to mod the floor and centre console to make it look aesthetically pleasing.
all gu gearboxes bar rd28 are the same. i cant remember off the top of my head which one it is but some gu engine combos had slightly different 1st and 5th gear ratios but otherwise its all the same.

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,062 Posts
I was not aware that the GU & GQ 5 speed manual had a different shifter position. I will have to defer to BeNos here.

·
Premium Member
nissan
39 Posts
hi
I changed the TD42 gearbox to a ZD30 gearbox with absolutely no problem. Just keep bellhousing from TD42. Attention, the ratios in the box are different, those of ZD30 are for a more powerful engine. I mention that I changed the complete assembly, gearbox and transfer box, and as the total length corresponds, drive shafts had not changed or modified

it is true that I mounted on a Y61 (the TD42 box was on a Y60), so the levers came in much better positions. I didn't have to make any changes at all, but I had to loosen engine mount and lift the engine front to fit the box on engine 5 cm, the tunnel in the body is very small and does not allow the box to rotate for easy mounting (on Y61). At Y60 the place is much bigger, and allows much easier installation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts