Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased the below unit several weeks ago and jury rigged it into my ZD30DI, I have been writing it up in my build thread but I know many don't read that so I thought I would give it it's own thread (but will continue to write in there as well, started writing it up in post #1127).

As some would know I returned to using the std Vacuum Solenoid to control 'running' boost while keeping my Dawes to control max boost, the idea being to have the VNT vanes in the optimum position at all times (something you don't get with full manual control). This worked well to a point but when others tried to emulate what I had done they couldn't, only 2 others that I am aware of, there is also an issue with the std VacSol where it can stagger which mine seems to do more and more, so the search was on for alternatives, something Geordie said in a post got me thinking and researching again.

The system is from a small company in Scotland run by a guy named Ron who is a very helpful person (the company name is Ronian), I spoke to him for weeks before taking the plunge so I did have some idea of what to expect. I have had a couple of issues but have worked my way through them with help from Ron and today overcame the final hurdle, which turned out to be an earthing issue.

Basically this could be the end of manual boost control devices as we know them, the potential this unit has is quite amazing, not cheap but when compared to other devices used to control VNT vanes it is cheap and you can adjust it yourself. The combinations within the unit give great flexibility and basically you can set it up so that how you drive gives the flexibility rather than making adjustments on the run like we have in the past with needle valves etc. After a remap I can see this being the icing on the cake. This will work for those running high or low boost it is all in the setup that at first looks complicated but becomes clear as you proceed. The unit comes with a choice of MAP, the upper one can cope with 40psi boost and that is the one I chose, not that I will ever use it as 22psi is enough for me but it gives lots of leeway, and for those running big turbo's this could be the answer to a few problems.

Digibooster
Digibooster Setup.jpg

·
Registered
nissan
352 Posts
Hi GeeYouToo,
I've had a Digibooster fitted to my RD28 with the ZD30 turbo for over 12 months now.
There are a few problems I have managed to sort out, but one cost me an engine rebuild, so be careful.
The problem is Ron has been shipping these with poor quality MAP sensors, with the first one causing a massive overboost which lifted the head and split the No5 cylinder. ($8k)
He managed to source one capable of handling 20psi reliably (the one you say is 40psi), but it was a Chinese ripoff of an Audi one. It too played up, and so I sourced the genuine Audi part, and all good.
The electronics are fine, but not waterproof, so you need to think about how you can protect them from water crossings.
Of course you get much greater control than a manual boost, especially when you feed in some other sensors like MAF and TPS.
These are really developmental products, and carry associated risks. I carry a spare Digibooster in case the car gets submerged in the middle of nowhere. No such risk with a manual boost setup.
So just a word of caution.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi GeeYouToo,
I've had a Digibooster fitted to my RD28 with the ZD30 turbo for over 12 months now.
There are a few problems I have managed to sort out, but one cost me an engine rebuild, so be careful.
The problem is Ron has been shipping these with poor quality MAP sensors, with the first one causing a massive overboost which lifted the head and split the No5 cylinder. ($8k)
He managed to source one capable of handling 20psi reliably (the one you say is 40psi), but it was a Chinese ripoff of an Audi one. It too played up, and so I sourced the genuine Audi part, and all good.
The electronics are fine, but not waterproof, so you need to think about how you can protect them from water crossings.
Of course you get much greater control than a manual boost, especially when you feed in some other sensors like MAF and TPS.
These are really developmental products, and carry associated risks. I carry a spare Digibooster in case the car gets submerged in the middle of nowhere. No such risk with a manual boost setup.
So just a word of caution.
Thanks for the warning, I am aware of a few things, and yes they are still in development but I don't see that as a major issue as I have been part of DI development myself for many years and writing this up in my build thread may help others make up their mind, DI remaps were developmental not that long ago. We do have protection against overboost as our original MAP remains inline so it sends the vehicle to limp when the tolerance is exceeded, I have had this happen several times while setting up.

Your correct the waterproof quality is something you need to be aware of when doing the install but not insurmountable. I don't see a need to carry a spare as it is a simple task to switch over to the Dawes valve if it was ever required, it can sit in the toolbox, there were changes made to the unit at the middle of the year, this S would be different to yours.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Spoke to Ron last night, I brought up about the mentioned failed MAP, my understanding is they were a 30psi unit that was a clone of the Reno/VW MAP of the time, he said there was an issue and that it was 12 months or over (when I raised this I didn't mention that sort of detail). He assures me they stopped with those when it happened and apparently it was very limited, anyway he also assures me the replacement st/st 30psi unit they sell at the moment is reliable as is the 45psi unit that I bought with mine.

·
Registered
Nissan patrol GU
138 Posts
Hi Ross, how much is the purchase price for digiboost unit out of curiosity, not connecting TPS limit its potential in anyway.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Ross, how much is the purchase price for digiboost unit out of curiosity, not connecting TPS limit its potential in anyway.

Just over $300, still more testing to come though mate.

·
Registered
Nissan patrol GU
138 Posts
Hi Ross , no hurry still got other mods on the go also. Let me know if you do a group buy

·
Registered
nissan
352 Posts
Hi Ross,
Just recalled that the first boost control solenoid that Ron sent was also dodgy. I ended up buying another on eBay from memory. It made the Digibooster behave quite strangely and was impossible to resolve with any fault diagnostics.
So, 2 dodgy MAPs and a dodgy solenoid over a 12 month period.
To keep costs down, Ron has obviously been sourcing parts from the "cheap" bin.
Everything is sweet now I sourced my own sensor and solenoid from known brands

cheers

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Ross,
Just recalled that the first boost control solenoid that Ron sent was also dodgy. I ended up buying another on eBay from memory. It made the Digibooster behave quite strangely and was impossible to resolve with any fault diagnostics.
So, 2 dodgy MAPs and a dodgy solenoid over a 12 month period.
To keep costs down, Ron has obviously been sourcing parts from the "cheap" bin.
Everything is sweet now I sourced my own sensor and solenoid from known brands

cheers
Thanks for the warning. No such issues like that here so far though, have had many conversations with Ron on reliability as I have been working through my setup with him as I reckon detailed feedback is the best possible info base, I did speak to him about the early failure of your MAP sensor and he assures me that has been addressed, the vacsol I received looks as solid as the proverbial, weighs twice as much as the std one. This is still developmental gear with the last upgrade happening in May this year, there are only just over 100 units in use around the world on many different makes. I must say he has been very forthcoming with advice and info, when I send him an email I get a reply ASAP, I did say one day sorry for all the questions and observations, he came back with 'no problem pleased to do it' I think the last email was #32 in the chain.

I'm not averse to a bit of developmental work as my build thread is a testament to and indeed that is why I write things up in detail so that people can make up their own mind based on my experience. My Dawes is still in position and if it ever comes to a problem it only takes a few seconds to switch lines over and I'm back to square one. Hopefully that never happens and I'm very pleased with how things hae gone so far.

This is the vacsol that came with mine https://www.google.com.au/search?client=tablet-android-samsung&ei=SzX7W6a1K5jdrQHdv7HwDA&q=pierburg+3+port+7.02184.01.0&oq=pierburg+3+port+7.02184.01.0&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-serp.3...38968.58942..59952...0.0..0.229.2496.0j12j1......0....1.........0j0i71j0i22i30j33i160.Q1SnWM2wgXg#imgrc=iN2kpD76DXMe8M: as said I also have the upgraded 45psi MAP

·
Registered
NISSAN PATROL Y61 3.0 Di (ZD30) 09/2000
364 Posts
I bought my Digibooster recently, together with an original N75 vacuum Solenoid, plus a MAP sensor. Ron and Ross were quite helpful during my testing. I am very happy with the result, and Ron is about to provide some specific settings/mods to his Digibooster to fit our Patrols better.

I was very happy with the progressive opening I had managed to get from our VNT with a Needle on one hand and a dawes coupled with a second Needle. But Digibooster will most certainly outperform that arrangement.

Nothing else will be able to match the end result I am afraid.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bought my Digibooster recently, together with an original N75 vacuum Solenoid, plus a MAP sensor. Ron and Ross were quite helpful during my testing. I am very happy with the result, and Ron is about to provide some specific settings/mods to his Digibooster to fit our Patrols better.

I was very happy with the progressive opening I had managed to get from our VNT with a Needle on one hand and a dawes coupled with a second Needle. But Digibooster will most certainly outperform that arrangement.

Nothing else will be able to match the end result I am afraid.

Absolutely it out preforms normal manual boost control. I spoke to Ron again last night, we have been working towards a setup that is more specific to a ZD30, he has been quite receptive to ideas after the testing that has been done, so if anyone was going to order one they could have the pot for switch #3 start from say 0.6v (instead of the current 1.1-1.2v, personally I feel 0.75-0.8v would be where I would adjust mine though, as our TPS is quite sensitive (if people were using a sensitivity control device then a lower setting maybe of more benefit).

Have added this to my build thread as well to keep tuning info in a single place.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thought I should post the latest in here as I know a lot don't read my build thread.
These units are maybe not for everyone, but after a remap if you have a bit of spare cash this is a great mod that leaves manual boost controllers in the weeds, it can be tuned to suit your vehicle whatever stage yours is in. It is flexible and works really bloody well. I sent mine back to Ron in Scotland to make a few changes we had been discussing for some time, these changes make it more specific for our ZD30 and our VNT turbo.

Refitted Digibooster after getting it back from Ronian (Ron) in Ireland who did a couple of mods for me. Please note that if you ever do purchase one of these units take pics after each adjustment so you can always relate back, because during optimisation you will make a change that doesn't work.

Recap of old setup:
Boost rate control, Switch 5 off, 6 on, 7 off, 8 on.
TPS control with switch 4 on.
Vacuum cut off switch 3 on, vacuum cut off operational at minimum 1.1v.
45psi capable MAP switch.
Max boost pot adjusted to suit switch programme and 45psi MAP

Issue. On back off, boost would drop quickly to 0psi and would not return until TPS voltage had reached 1.1v, this had a lag effect down low. Ron was contacted and discussions took place re how we could improve the setup to more suit our ZD30's. We settled on reducing that TPS voltage from 1.1v to .7v and to also have a stepped vacuum cut off using the first 3 switches (2 of which were unused)

New settings for upgraded unit.
Boost control switches the same, 5 off, 6 on, 7 off, 8 on.
TPS control switch 4 on with new 0.7v minimum setting (adjustable upwards at new pot).
The new vacuum cut off settings are:
Switch 3 on = 0% vacuum
Switch 2 on = 6% vacuum
Switch 1 on = 9% vacuum
I selected vacuum cut off switch 1 on (9% vacuum) to go to other end of the scale to the original.
45psi MAP replaced with stainless steel 30psi MAP which meant I had to re adjust max boost pot.

The full writeup with pics is in my build thread, post 1337 link Digibooster Refitted after Mods

·
Registered
Nissan patrol GU
138 Posts
Well done Ross, l will be looking at trying the digibooster later on , sounds good from all the time and effort you have put are well worth the results. Great work

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well done Ross, l will be looking at trying the digibooster later on , sounds good from all the time and effort you have put are well worth the results. Great work

Thanks, if you ever need help in setting one up I'm always around mate.

·
Registered
Nissan patrol GU
138 Posts
Thanks mate, I will let you know when I’m ready

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All my recent Digibooster testing has been done with all functions on, while the unit was away I had my Dawes working and did around 500k, since getting the Digibooster back I have done just over 400k and as said with all functions switched on, so my fuel eco was better using the Digibooster over manual boost control, yes I know I'm not going to start jumping up and down for joy on one tank figure, but seeing as I've owned this thing 19 years now I reckon there is a trend. I have just turned off the vacuum cut setting so now the digibooster is managing boost without that option so lets see if there is going to be a slightly higher reading. It will be a long process but I'll get some long term numbers. In the meantime I'm extremely happy with how it is performing, outguns manual boost control that is for sure.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just a note raised by something said to me recently. The reason I put this thread in the Y61 section and not the DI subsection is that this unit works on any Variable Nozzle Turbo, whether that be Vacuum or Electronic, seeing as the DI and CRD are both vacuum VNT it will work equally as well on either. It stands alone from the ECU but does connect to the MAP and can be connected to the TPS if that option is chosen.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
276 Posts
Thank you for bringing another interesting mod I would not have conceived of off my own bat!
At present I'm relatively happy with my dawes/needle setup compared to what it was like standard.
However, the thing that niggles me is the compromise between having a descent spoolup for driving and having to live with cruising at high boost.
What I've noticed is sustained high boost on cruise is both not needed and sky rockets the intake air temp. Its amazing how quick intake temps come down with a slow spool but then you loose driving response...
This mod I think will keep driving response with fast spool and enable intake temps to drop between duty cycles.

Sent from my Patrol using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan
15 Posts
It is sounding promising. How does it compare to tillex/Dawes and VacSol in terms of performance and fuel economy?

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It is sounding promising. How does it compare to tillex/Dawes and VacSol in terms of performance and fuel economy?
As I've mentioned here and in my build thread, if someone is looking for a significant increase in performance then they will be disappointed, it is an alternative that offers improved driveability.

Direct comparison to a Dawes (Tillix works the same) over a 3 week period showed my WM usage dropped by 30% while using the Digibooster, this indicates to me that I'm spending less time in the 'injection zone', further eco testing is ongoing.

If your ECU and existing vacsol play nicely together you may not notice anything, but I know mine doesn't even though it started out fine and I know others who couldn't even get a look in on the combination, I tried several vacsols and they all reacted differently before trying the Digibooster path.

Hope this answers your question.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts