Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
A year down the track and I'm still excited and ecstatic about this addition to my mods, it made the later transition from the std GT2052 turbo to the Eclipse without issue, love it, no dramas whatsoever. Full details in my build thread (index first post) if anyone is interested in reading up on it. Not cheap but to me it leaves Dawes, Tillix and Turbosmart gear for dead, so much flexibility.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
272 Posts
I'm still wanting to put digiboost on mine but been lacking time and funds. Although my Dawes works great, I realise the limitations. Hopefully later this year... heck, it only took me a year to get round to putting the water/meth in!

Sent from my Patrol using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan
352 Posts
A year down the track and I'm still excited and ecstatic about this addition to my mods, it made the later transition from the std GT2052 turbo to the Eclipse without issue, love it, no dramas whatsoever. Full details in my build thread (index first post) if anyone is interested in reading up on it. Not cheap but to me it leaves Dawes, Tillix and Turbosmart gear for dead, so much flexibility.
Pretty much the same for me. Ive had the system since 15 March 2017 and had initial issues with dodgy MAP sensors and a dodgy boost regulator, but once these were upgraded all sweet. The electronics have been very reliable and the wiring and connectors are faultless.
I really believe this mod is the single best thing you could do for a ZD30

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Pretty much the same for me. Ive had the system since 15 March 2017 and had initial issues with dodgy MAP sensors and a dodgy boost regulator, but once these were upgraded all sweet. The electronics have been very reliable and the wiring and connectors are faultless.
I really believe this mod is the single best thing you could do for a ZD30
Thanks for that. The later version like mine from mid 2018 had a few more tweaks and after long discussions with Ron it was sent back just before Christmas 2018 for a few mods to expand its flexibility, so now people can buy one specifically for a ZD30, Sure it takes a bit of time to setup with 16 variations and then the added flexibility, but the result is great,

Did you run it with existing MAP and VacSol? I used the VW VacSol which Ron sent me, I originally ordered his 45psi capable MAP, of which I was never intending to use its full capability, I suspected later it was a little insensitive to lower boost values but have no real proof, just a gut feeling. While mine was in the UK being modified we discussed MAP's and I finished up going with the 30psi all stainless model (still have 45psi MAP on the shelf) and it is great, have used it to max for a few days and on the dyno but wasn't interested in maintaining it there for obvious reasons and as it turned out 25psi sings like Bird and stings like a Bee ;).

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Seems like bulk effort for not much gain
Not as far as I'm concerned, I actually have one I played a small part in developing and I've tried everything else ;), it is an alternative that works well.

·
Registered
Nissan
6,685 Posts
Can you suggest a better way of controlling cruise boost requirements than fully programmable vac sol device?

Dawes and similar are OK if you like cruising at 25PSI...
Does the factory ecu work?

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Not to the extent we modify, especially on the DI and there are still plenty of them around, this is well documented here.

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,370 Posts
The Di uses the MAF to calculate airflow in order to gestimate boost levels. This has lead to pretty erratic boost control. It only uses the MAP sensor to trigger overboost limp at 28psi.
The CRD uses the MAP sensor so boost control is somewhat better.
Both engines run better with aftermarket boost control.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
CRD Wagon
797 Posts
Not on early ones such as Ross'.

On CRDs it does. Mine runs factory boost control with a Dawes to stop it going much past 25PSI. WOT under load it peaks at around 27PSI. I still wouldnt mind getting digibooster in order to see if I can gain a more personalised approach to boost control, particularly in regards to opening vanes when I lift my foot.

·
Registered
nissan
352 Posts
Thanks for that. The later version like mine from mid 2018 had a few more tweaks and after long discussions with Ron it was sent back just before Christmas 2018 for a few mods to expand its flexibility, so now people can buy one specifically for a ZD30, Sure it takes a bit of time to setup with 16 variations and then the added flexibility, but the result is great,

Did you run it with existing MAP and VacSol? I used the VW VacSol which Ron sent me, I originally ordered his 45psi capable MAP, of which I was never intending to use its full capability, I suspected later it was a little insensitive to lower boost values but have no real proof, just a gut feeling. While mine was in the UK being modified we discussed MAP's and I finished up going with the 30psi all stainless model (still have 45psi MAP on the shelf) and it is great, have used it to max for a few days and on the dyno but wasn't interested in maintaining it there for obvious reasons and as it turned out 25psi sings like Bird and stings like a Bee ;).
I used the supplied 45psi MAP because the RD28ETI doesn't have a MAP. Only a MAF.
And yes, used the VW VacSol.
But I agree, the supplied MAP is a little variable. I was thinking it might be dirty...
Wouldn't mind trying the stainless one. Does Ron supply this?

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I used the supplied 45psi MAP because the RD28ETI doesn't have a MAP. Only a MAF.
And yes, used the VW VacSol.
But I agree, the supplied MAP is a little variable. I was thinking it might be dirty...
Wouldn't mind trying the stainless one. Does Ron supply this?
Yes he does.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Nah, he only sells the 15-45psi ones now. That's a shame...
Have you contacted him just now? I'll look for a brand on the one I have.

·
Registered
nissan
352 Posts
Have you contacted him just now? I'll look for a brand on the one I have.
Yes, emailed him last night. If you have a part no too that would be great.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #37

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
NOTE, Seeing as this discussion had moved to a completely different setup I have moved that conversation to here

·
Registered
NISSAN PATROL Y61 3.0 Di (ZD30) 09/2000
356 Posts
thank you Ross, but please change the title to one dawes two needle please, as the current title is misleading.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts