Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GQ SWB
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we got the good news last night that number 2 is cooking away nicley inside the missus which is fantastic. However, I have a shorty of which I love dearly also and I used to own a ute that I loved that I had to sell when number 1 came along so now I am reluctant to sell the shorty also. The missus has an Outlander (female softroader!) so the issue of having a family car is not an issue for day to day struff. But when we plan to hook up the boat or camper trailer and head off camping I am not so sure how things will go having a 4 year old and a baby in the back of the shorty. I am already looking at getting a roof rack basket type thing to help with carrying all the crap and I can whip up another cage to sit on the camper for when we go camping to carry the extra camping gear, but has anyone out there actually owned a shorty and done much in it with 2 kids in the back? Is it possible or a pain in the ass and should I just suck it up and sell the thing and by a LWB (GQ of course!)? I am reluctant to do this as I don't want to start the process off adding all the goodies and hard work again, at least not yet anyway and I really don't have the extra cash to pay anymore than what I will get for the shorty, unless push really does come to shove.

What to do, can a small, young family of 4 fit in a shorty on weekend trips??

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
If you have a well designed camper trailer you should be able to fit all of the gear you need at this stage for a week end, but as they grow you will eventually run out of space. If you want to do remote area travel you will need a LWB. I have a LWB and that is just enough room for 2 ( dont tow a camper ).

·
Registered
146 Posts
Mate we had a shorty MQ and two kids and we had it for 7 or 8 years and we went camping in it, Ya just gotta learn to pack better hehe, So mate if ya love it keep it and add a cage to the trailer or roof :punkrock:

·
Registered
nissan
11,208 Posts
Yeah you should be fine. I could get an 80l Waeco inthe back of my swb with the seats down. And you can cram ALOT of stuff on a roof rack. I'd say you should be sweet. I guess wait till the little tacker shows up and gl for a trial weekend. But I've seen a few families with swb and campers and they have no dramas

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Shorties are still going for ok money, and you could easily buy a LWB for the money you get from the shorty. Keep it until you really REALLY need to swap.

·
Trolitised
236 Posts
A good shorty is worth bucks, and getting a baby in and out of one is a nightmare for a woman, so if it was me I would be doing the move it on trick and get a good LWB for the same money, keep the lady happy and do more trips...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yea.... sorry to say it but...
Happy Wife Happy life.

Hopefully you can cross
some gear over to the new unit.
And the room helps.

CheersIan.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I had the same problem ( still have the pick-up Mq parked at a friends dealership, I think it is time to bring it home, and my son turns two next month)

Get an offroad trailer it works great, when you get to the camp site, you can park it, and all your kit stays behind while you go play, you dont need to pack-up camp if you need to go get something, and there is still enought space in the SWB for the cooler.

I took my trailer with to Botswana this year, and I went every where with my trailer, where the fully loaded 4x4's went, the fact is of all seven vehicle's there I was the only one not to get stuck.

That's me with the blue Navara, this is salt pans with a 100mm Layer, and if you go through that your in [email protected], we had to leave the Colt there as we could not get it out, and had to go back later to recover it.

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan gu
1,195 Posts
remember when you were a kid & liked riding around in the back of box trailers...hint hint!

·
Registered
nissan
1,528 Posts
You can definitly go camping in a SWB with two kids, there is enough seats for 4 people, and you say you have a camper. I must say I have never done it, but we have four kids in a LWB & everything goes in the camper trailer. On the odd occasion I take the roofs rack & basket. The only thing in the car is people, entertainment stuff (no DVD player), food & munchies. So even though we have a LWB, we are still in the same position as you - the car is full of people every time we go out.

·
Registered
84 Posts
had 5 adults in my shorty on one of the trips we did to fraser.. obviously we towed a trailer and it was pretty cosy in the truck, but still lots of fun :)

·
Registered
851 Posts
Shorty back seats are mounted higher up than in the LWB. These are actually better for kids as they see more, but no good for teenagers nearly as tall as their dad, so with the camper you could delay the change for quite a while. Once you have more than 2 kids you will want something wider than a GQ (dare i say GU? I have both.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts