Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
I filled up at my local last week and my 4.8 petrol ran a little rough I went back today for another item and all their unleaded browsers were closed.I asked about mine running like #### and he told me a tanker had put diesel in the unleaded underground tank.They are paying for a new fuel filter and think if i fill up the tank which is 1/2 full and top it up a couple times it will clean it out and then replace the filter it should be OK. My question at last is it OK to run it like this or will I do damage as I know from experience that petrol into diesel don't go but a little of diluted diesel into petrol maybe OK

Cheers Russell

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi All
I filled up at my local last week and my 4.8 petrol ran a little rough I went back today for another item and all their unleaded browsers were closed.I asked about mine running like #### and he told me a tanker had put diesel in the unleaded underground tank.They are paying for a new fuel filter and think if i fill up the tank which is 1/2 full and top it up a couple times it will clean it out and then replace the filter it should be OK. My question at last is it OK to run it like this or will I do damage as I know from experience that petrol into diesel don't go but a little of diluted diesel into petrol maybe OK

Cheers Russell
Geez Russell, doesn't sound like a good idea, i'd be asking him to pay for a mechanic to drain the tanks and clean the fuel system to the motor including any filters. What state R U in? Hopefully not one i fill up at :confused:

Cheers, Col

·
Registered
nissan
10,919 Posts
Diesel in petrol isn't the best idea. I'd want it drained and flushed IMO
And for the record petrol in diesel will run fine up to about a 50/50 mix but may not be very good for The lubricating properties of the pump.

·
Registered
468 Posts
50/50????

As far as the Dino in the ULP, if it has been running, just top it off with more petrol and it will be fine.

There is no need to drain the tank or flush the fuel system, just top it off and it will be fine.

I concur

:cheers:

·
Registered
nissan
10,919 Posts
dunno when i done the engine swap in mine petrol to diesel. i never drained the tank and at a guess there would have been 15l or so of petrol in the tank. i only put 40l of diesel on top of it and it ran 100% fine. so thats what 30% or more. and it was about 25c when i was using it.
and i did read it somewhere that a 50/50 mix will run. mayby not like a race car but will run.

·
builder not a buyer!
nissan
2,703 Posts
mate works at chemtech reckons petrol does the same cleans out the injectors n so on,,, so every 100ltrs diesel put in 20to30 mls petrol works a treat..
So every time I fill up I'm to put 20ml of petrol in the tank? Mmmmm I'm abut sceptical about that considering there are diesel additives designed to clean injectors and the like....

·
Registered
nissan
1,335 Posts
Maybe its me but hasnt he got a petrol with diesel in it?
If so i wouldnt be to worried, if it was petrol in a diesel it would be a concern.

·
Registered
Nissan
308 Posts
Diesel will soot up the O2 sensor which may throw the check engine light on , it may also coat the Ceramic core of the Catalytic Converter with soot and render it useless .

·
Registered
nissan
642 Posts
jeez off subject guys,,, the poor fellow asked if he needs to do more,, yes mate get the tank empitied and flushed and have the petrol station pay for it,,, be on the safe side

·
Safari Hoarder
nissan
4,726 Posts
Diesel in petrol can be damaging. How many liters did you put in, did you fill up, guess the ratio? How long and at what power setting did you drive? Certainly document this, demand the tank and full system flush be paid for and discuss with Nissan. I know in older lead burning petrol engines, the use of Jet fuel (kero) will cause a loss of lubrication in the upper cylinder leading to valve failure. The engine will run cooler (no significant EGT) as well. This is burning high mixtures of kero at 75 percent or more power for a few hours or more.

Your engine is not designed to burn lead so I really don't know what will happen, nor is it at power for long periods.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts