Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I've got a 2001 ZD30dti. I read the ZD Reference Document (twice, from end to end, every word). It says that one of the fixes was to have a shorter dipstick. My dipstick has a new level etched onto it.

1. Is this a Nissan "fixed" dipstick? (It didn't push right down into the oil at first, it got fouled on the bung at the end you hold - so I've trimmed the bung so the stick goes right home now)
2. Or has someone just guessed where the new level should be?
3. Has anyone got a part number please for the new, shorter, dipstick?

I will go to the local Nissan dealer, but first I need a bit more information. They are off-hand and patronising in the dealership and I am a woman, as soon as I say anything vaguely technical they get all defensive. It's very unhelpful.

Thanks

·
Registered
nissan
77 Posts
Hi Karinofnine , there was a post on this previously and here were the responses from other users:

"If it is later than Nov 01 it will have been modded anyhow.

The 2000 model was recalled for the fix and it should have a notice fixed near the front drivers side door hinges.
Only about 40mm Square so if it's dusty or dirty etc you may have to rub some of the muck off to see it.

Anyhow if you measure the amount of oil that you put in next change, it should be about 8.3 litres if the mod has been done.

the long dipstick has a part number stamping of VC102. The shortened dipstick has a stamping of VC105

Personally I would get it down to Nissan and get them to verify it against you engine number if you are concerned

The dipstick in my 2003 Patrol measures 710mm in total length. Hope this helps. Steve."

There was a recall in late 2000 for a "sump capacity increase" on the 3.0TDi Patrols. There will be a recall sticker on the vehicle (on panel near hinges on front drivers side). All vehicles built after the recall are OK (as far as anyone knows

there is some info on this thru out the forum -

I have just copied what others have said.

·
Premium Member
Triton n Lovin it.
26,270 Posts
Put 8.5ltrs in and don't ask why, this is the correct amount of oil!!!!!!!!!!:)

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
Hi Karinofnine , there was a post on this previously and here were the responses from other users:

"If it is later than Nov 01 it will have been modded anyhow.

The 2000 model was recalled for the fix and it should have a notice fixed near the front drivers side door hinges.
Only about 40mm Square so if it's dusty or dirty etc you may have to rub some of the muck off to see it.

Anyhow if you measure the amount of oil that you put in next change, it should be about 8.3 litres if the mod has been done.

the long dipstick has a part number stamping of VC102. The shortened dipstick has a stamping of VC105

Personally I would get it down to Nissan and get them to verify it against you engine number if you are concerned

The dipstick in my 2003 Patrol measures 710mm in total length. Hope this helps. Steve."

There was a recall in late 2000 for a "sump capacity increase" on the 3.0TDi Patrols. There will be a recall sticker on the vehicle (on panel near hinges on front drivers side). All vehicles built after the recall are OK (as far as anyone knows

there is some info on this thru out the forum -

I have just copied what others have said.
X2 Mine was done on 30-4-01, look for that sticker if it's not there check with a dealer to be safe, for your own peace of mind.

·
Registered
nissan
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, thanks for your replies. I did do a search before posting and couldn't find anything. I will try again, I think maybe you call it an oil stick and here (England) we call it a dip stick. The one that is in the car is VC102, with the inexpert etching, the one the dealer is getting for me is VC10a. I'm picking it up tomorrow.

I wish I shared your faith in dealers. They are not very helpful and their attitude is pretty poor, disinterested at best and, frankly, huffy if you dare to suggest that you have more/other knowledge than them. Visits are a trial, and an expensive one at that!

I'll go and have a look for the stickers/find out when the car was built/speak to the dealer tomorrow.

Thanks all.

·
Go Hard or Go Home
3,197 Posts
8.2 ltrs of oil exactly, just like in the service manual.

Put 8.5ltrs in and don't ask why, this is the correct amount of oil!!!!!!!!!!:)

Foo, wrong, wrong, wrong. This is bad information. The service manual clearly states the oil capacity as 8.2l with a filter change & 7.7l without a filter change.

By putting 8.5l into any ZD will ensure EXCESSIVE BLOWBY & will be blown into the intake especially if the vehicle has no oil catch can.

Service Manual Oil Capacities.jpg

I run around ~8.2 and only get a very, very small amount of blowby collected into the catch can.

·
Go Hard or Go Home
3,197 Posts
Hi, thanks for your replies. I did do a search before posting and couldn't find anything. I will try again, I think maybe you call it an oil stick and here (England) we call it a dip stick. The one that is in the car is VC102, with the inexpert etching, the one the dealer is getting for me is VC10a. I'm picking it up tomorrow.

I wish I shared your faith in dealers. They are not very helpful and their attitude is pretty poor, disinterested at best and, frankly, huffy if you dare to suggest that you have more/other knowledge than them. Visits are a trial, and an expensive one at that!

I'll go and have a look for the stickers/find out when the car was built/speak to the dealer tomorrow.

Thanks all.
As for the dip stick part numbers. This is from the Nissan Fast parts catalouge for my 2003 model.

ZD30 Nissan Fast Dipstick Part Number.jpg

Clearly it shows 2 part numbers, the 11140-VC105 & the alternatve part number of 11140-VC10A. Either will be fine.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
Foo, wrong, wrong, wrong. This is bad information. The service manual clearly states the oil capacity as 8.2l with a filter change & 7.7l without a filter change.

By putting 8.5l into any ZD will ensure EXCESSIVE BLOWBY & will be blown into the intake especially if the vehicle has no oil catch can.

View attachment 19617

I run around ~8.2 and only get a very, very small amount of blowby collected into the catch can.
Agreed, this is where the correct dipstick is so important, it is very easy to lose where you are when refilling the sump. Considering, with the early ones anyway, part of the Nissan solution was to just overfill the the damn sump anyway, this put more pressure on getting it right so you don't turn your oil into a thickshake.

I meassure out and fill about 7.5L using my 2L container, wait 5 min, check the dip stick then add until it is halfway up the sight gauge, restart and do it again until it is steady at hafway up. That to me is a safe way, time consuming but safe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts