Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to change the pads at home...removed the wheel, undone the top bolt to swing the brake caliper upwards. It doesn't go all the way up because it touches a swivel joint on the tie rod.
Is this the case with all GU's? I didn't know I have to crack the swivel joint to change brake pads!
It's the same both sides of my 2009 GU.

Or...??

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,470 Posts
It's only two bolts to unbolt the whole caliper, so just do that ;-)

Reactions: Streaky

·
Registered
nissan
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In every write up that I've seen it says to undo the bottom bolt and swing the caliper upwards to remove the pads....none of them say to remove the entire caliper.....I did think about it but didn't want to take a chance on Christmas morning since I was going out for the day.

Cracking the swivel joint is just a single nut so it's not a big job.

·
Registered
nissan
11,155 Posts
You unbolt the 2 bolts that connect to the slide pins. Leave the pad cage in place. Off memory all gus have this problem and I'd suspect gqs arnt much different.

·
Registered
nissan
11,155 Posts
Should also note the cage bolts to the swivel hub directly. And the piston section that you need to ride bolts to this cage. Don't remove the 24mm bolts only the 19mm ones.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Or as I have done so a few times this past week, use the 22mm... May have been the 24mm socket, I was changing my brake rotors as well, easy to get confused ha ha, and undo the 2 bolts at the back and rotate the whole assembly out and up. After changing pads, just put the bottom section in first before rotating back around so the top bolt hole lines back up.

Yeah it's tight up against the steering swivel joint.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts