Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
NISSAN PATROL Y61 3.0 Di (ZD30) 09/2000
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bekow is what I can read on their website about their turbo.
They mention "boost values" , and give no reference about Airflow / MAF values except when they mention 'no limp'.

It is worrying to see that limp values are said not to be reached, so MAF values remain below the known threshold(s).
Reach your own conclusions gentlemen.

I do have stable boost pressure, and Airflow with my stock turbo.

Stable Boost Pressure.

RED LINE: This is a typical boost pressure graph for a factory ZD30 GT2052V turbocharger with a factory vacuum solenoid. This being our 2012 GU ZD30 CRD that was starting to suffer the signs of compressor surge. It is not known if this turbocharger has already been replaced before, but we do know this one is not good. From new these turbochargers can experience boost pressure fluctuations, spiking and surging and is commonly acknowledged as the weak point of these engines.

GREEN LINE: Eclipse ECP540 turbocharger with stable boost pressure.
The Eclipse Turbochargers unique turbine wheel design and function, displays stable boost characteristics and a predictable boost curve while still using the factory vacuum solenoid. Consequently due to this design feature, we have not encountered any limp criteria events whilst running our turbocharger on a standard ZD30 engine at 20psi and above using the standard ECU.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,006 Posts
@Phdv61 I do have some experience with this turbo, this is the one I've run successfully for thousands of k. It is a good unit that works extremely well

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mate, You know I like going deep into technical stuff, and understand all details.

I am concerned about the data and information I read, when they do not add-up as they should.
I was happy with one dawes and one Needle. Did not mean it was right. And I now know it wasn't at all.

I am worried when I read that a brand new tubo does not create LIMP on a ZD30. If it doesn't , it just means it does not push more air in as it should be (?) able to. If it does not create LIMP, it DOES NOT push more air in. It is a non-questionable fact.

I have no doubt Eclipse do fantastic turbos at the moment. But I'd like however to see its MAP, boost vs MAF and its spinning RPM like what we get for any turbo. That will speak to me. It will tell us its range of use, max boost which can be reached, and for which airflow.
I am no longer satisfied with 'I tested it, it is fantastic' answer. like for Digibooster that I have now measured and analysed in details. You have some of it in your hands. I bought one and it is now in a drawer.

Only MAF value matters, and this is what turbos are supposed to do : if at 2000RPM your MAF well exceeds 3.55V, then YES, it pushes more air down low than a stock turbo, REGARDLESS of the boost.
However, if you inlet is modified, you may have lost the stock reference for MAF voltage. All you can do now is compare your MAF value vs RPM BEFORE the turbo change, and AFTER the turbo change, if you have access to it.

And if your vanes opening is wrong for one or the other test, then what you get as a result may just be crap.
Sorry for playing again the bad messenger...

·
Registered
nissan patrol
323 Posts
I'm still yet to see some good results from the eclipse. And by good results I mean people running 35+psi through them.

Ross, we all know you're about torque and you're getting amazing result for your application but unlike gturbo, noone is pushing it to really 'sell' the product (so to speak)

I know it's not all about power, and I know people want reliability but I want to see some stupid power figures on an eclipse to see what this bad boy actually does.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Boost/psi is NOT power.
MAF voltage + adequate fueling is.
I still don't understand why many still do that mistake ;)

·
Registered
nissan patrol
323 Posts
Boost/psi is NOT power.
MAF voltage + adequate fueling is.
I still don't understand why many still do that mistake ;)
Yes I'm well and truly aware of that, sorry I didn't add all the specifics, I assumed everyone in here knew how it all worked.
I don't car about the fuelling side of things I want to see what these turbos are capable of.

I have +50% injectors in mine but have the maf voltage clipped because my turbo is too small.

If the insurance company comes through I'll be opting for the eclipse Turbo but need it to produce the proper air flow for my injectors.
I haven't seen any results on any vehicles with over std injectors

·
Registered
508 Posts
If the insurance company comes through I'll be opting for the eclipse Turbo but need it to produce the proper air flow for my injectors.
I haven't seen any results on any vehicles with over std injectors

You really don't need to look very hard to find these results you're after, plenty of info out there on guys running the Eclipse with bigger than standard injectors. Quite a few examples in this forum alone never mind what's out there on the net be it Facebook, Instagram, even the Eclipse pages have examples. Maybe just contact them and simply ask, I'm sure they have plenty of data to let you look at of setups running oversized injectors.

Edit- forget most what I said, I just read your first comment about wanting results from guys running over 35psi. I don't believe you'll find many if any considering that's not what it was designed for. Maybe one day they'll designed one for the "boost lovers" for the maybe 1% of people who actually want/need to run that much boost.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I have no doubt Eclipse do fantastic turbos at the moment. But I'd like however to see its MAP, boost vs MAF and its spinning RPM like what we get for any turbo. That will speak to me. It will tell us its range of use, max boost which can be reached, and for which airflow.
What other turbo company do you know of that designs turbo's for specific vehicle applications provide any of this information? I highly doubt any company be it Eclipse,Gturbo, UFI, Procharge etc will provide you much in the way of this other than maybe dyno runs with boost/AFR graphs. This type of info is normally gathered and shared by tuners or owners of said turbos who like seeing data. Good luck finding any company outside of OE manufacturers to provide info such as MAF, Shaft RPM, compressor maps etc

·
Registered
508 Posts
Ross, we all know you're about torque and you're getting amazing result for your application but unlike gturbo, noone is pushing it to really 'sell' the product (so to speak)
I guess you never saw this one;

Just seen this one as well from Modified Diesel Performance. Using smaller injectors and a gated turbo.

350hp - 760nm ZD30CRD 😈
Alpha Tech Strom piggy back ecu, F55 Gated turbo @43psi, Custom High Mount Manifold, Plus 50 injectors, Custom FMIC.

zd3010.jpg

zd3011.jpg

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,006 Posts
I am no longer satisfied with 'I tested it, it is fantastic' answer. like for Digibooster that I have now measured and analysed in details. You have some of it in your hands. I bought one and it is now in a drawer.
Phil, as said earlier I am no stranger to the eclipse turbo, being the first ZD30 to receive one mid last year, many hours of dyno testing was carried out and evaluated over a week then it was driven for some time and removed, inspected and retested in further dyno runs over 2 days. Street testing was also done many times, with the guys in my car measuring many aspects and timing runs in various gears/loads etc on a set course so no deviation in conditions took place. We did test it at 30psi at one stage and yes on the dyno there was a difference but as for driving around the actual difference between high boost and the lower setting I have it at now is so negligible it isn't worth mentioning. So I'm confident that what I have suits my vehicle very well.

As for digibooster, I've said to you many times it is horses for courses, I am very happy with what I have achieved and I've done a lot of testing and changes, to be honest these days I don't need to look at a graph to know how mine performs, I have hundreds of pages of exell spreadsheets on every bit of data that comes from the ECU, one I recorded on a 1400K round trip and then analysed to see (among other things) what the vacsol was doing, I did this many years ago to get a better understanding of our vehicles and it also helped me to setup MAF maps for the JayCar units I built for many people, if you don't like the digibooster then that is your prerogative, if no one ever buys one again I don't care, I'm happy with what I have achieved and that is what counts. I'm not here to please you or anyone else.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
323 Posts
I guess you never saw this one;

Just seen this one as well from Modified Diesel Performance. Using smaller injectors and a gated turbo.

350hp - 760nm ZD30CRD
Alpha Tech Strom piggy back ecu, F55 Gated turbo @43psi, Custom High Mount Manifold, Plus 50 injectors, Custom FMIC.

zd3010.jpg

zd3011.jpg
Yes I've seen that one as well as Gturbos crd's both pushing over 360whp but I'm not interested in them, I want to see what the eclipse is capable of.

Ross, you said you pushed the eclipse to 30psi, but aren't you still running standard injectors?
Of course you were never going to see much happen.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I want to see what the eclipse is capable of.
You have seen what they are capable of, I've seen quite a few results now for setups running within their range of intended operation. They are only rated and sold as a 30psi upper limit turbo so I very much doubt you're going to see any 35psi plus results getting around.

All these high powered examples you are referring to and wanting to compare against are all using turbos specifically built for such which is not what this version of the Eclipse turbo was built/designed for so I don't really see why you keep wanting to see results for it being pushed over 35psi plus when the people buying this turbo won't be doing this and have no intention too.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,006 Posts
Yes I've seen that one as well as Gturbos crd's both pushing over 360whp but I'm not interested in them, I want to see what the eclipse is capable of.

Ross, you said you pushed the eclipse to 30psi, but aren't you still running standard injectors?
Of course you were never going to see much happen.

Incorrect, plus 50% I had on the shelf for over a year before I replaced my IP.

·
Registered
CRD Wagon
849 Posts
You really don't need to look very hard to find these results you're after, plenty of info out there on guys running the Eclipse with bigger than standard injectors. Quite a few examples in this forum alone never mind what's out there on the net be it Facebook, Instagram, even the Eclipse pages have examples. Maybe just contact them and simply ask, I'm sure they have plenty of data to let you look at of setups running oversized injectors.

Edit- forget most what I said, I just read your first comment about wanting results from guys running over 35psi. I don't believe you'll find many if any considering that's not what it was designed for. Maybe one day they'll designed one for the "boost lovers" for the maybe 1% of people who actually want/need to run that much boost.
To be fair to WYO, I'm not sure if I've seen a CRD with uprated injectors and a full build on an Eclipse.

If I was closer to where all the tuning action is I'd be keen to try it, in fact the mail order tune I was sent seems to have some headroom for extra fuel with STD injectors so I'm actually still keen because I know this thing isnt at it's potential yet.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
323 Posts
You have seen what they are capable of, I've seen quite a few results now for setups running within their range of intended operation. They are only rated and sold as a 30psi upper limit turbo so I very much doubt you're going to see any 35psi plus results getting around.

All these high powered examples you are referring to and wanting to compare against are all using turbos specifically built for such which is not what this version of the Eclipse turbo was built/designed for so I don't really see why you keep wanting to see results for it being pushed over 35psi plus when the people buying this turbo won't be doing this and have no intention too.
I haven't read or heard anywhere that they were only intended for operation up to 30psi.
That would explain a few things then hahaha
From what I understood they were much different.

Anyway we are getting off topic here. I will probably be looking into a different turbo for my application.

·
Registered
CRD Wagon
849 Posts
I'm still yet to see some good results from the eclipse. And by good results I mean people running 35+psi through them.

I know it's not all about power, and I know people want reliability but I want to see some stupid power figures on an eclipse to see what this bad boy actually does.

The G-Turbo build you see on facebook is probably awesome in a comp truck but I doubt it for a daily. I'm sure if he really wanted, just like GTurbo, Peter could build a one off, offroad or dyno use only ZD turbo, but what's that gunna do? Attract guys to a product I'm assuming Eclipse dont really want to sell? It wouldnt be any different to what JustAutos did years ago IMO.

There was some negative feedback re: Eclipse on Faceache the other day... they tuned it at GTurbo and said "Eclipse doesnt match what they claim". If I was in the business, I'd be very wary of what statements came out with pictures of my workshop attached.

This was a few days back and still no feedback.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
323 Posts
The G-Turbo build you see on facebook is probably awesome in a comp truck but I doubt it for a daily. I'm sure if he really wanted, just like GTurbo, Peter could build a one off, offroad or dyno use only ZD turbo, but what's that gunna do? Attract guys to a product I'm assuming Eclipse dont really want to sell? It wouldnt be any different to what JustAutos did years ago IMO.

There was some negative feedback re: Eclipse on Faceache the other day... they tuned it at GTurbo and said "Eclipse doesnt match what they claim". If I was in the business, I'd be very wary of what statements came out with pictures of my workshop attached.

This was a few days back and still no feedback.
Yes I've read that, also come Ted as well I believe. But I 100% agree with what Patrick and Lindsay said on there

·
Registered
nissan patrol
323 Posts
The Eclipse website has the specs for the turbo, screenshot below;

View attachment 516558
Haha wow, I've never seen that. Thanks.
Even Drew didn't mention it when I spoke with him telling him what I needed.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Haha wow, I've never seen that. Thanks.
Even Drew didn't mention it when I spoke with him telling him what I needed.
I can see now why you were trying to compare the Eclipse to those other turbos more suited to higher power applications. This model of the eclipse was purely focused on drivability and not losing any of the low end torque/response that the factory gt2052v offered while still working well within the factory level of fueling but also had plenty of headroom to cater for those that wanted a lil bit more with upgraded injectors and remaps etc.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts