Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Browsing through the plumbing section at Bunnings I came across 80mm downpipe joiners, so for an investment of around $5.00 I purchased a couple to see what I could achieve in improving the dismal standard console drink holders.

When you purchase them they are of course round, and at 80mm they are slightly too big to fit in what is not a circular space, but that is an advantage, because if you heat them up with a heat gun until they are soft and then force them down into the drink holder space, you end up with what you see in the picture above.

I only had some left over grey rattle can paint which isn't a real good match, but they are a real improvement on standard, and hold drink bottles, travel mugs, mobile phones, keys and any other bit of clutter, really well. They are a really snug fit and haven't even looked like coming out on their own accord. As you will see in the pic below they could be shortened up a bit if you are fussy about looks.

For a less than $10.00 investment, that works really well, I am rapt with the result!

·
Registered
nissan
776 Posts
maccas large cups, the lids touch each other and then manage to fall off. gives you the ****s.
Grab some bits for me bevan

·
Gunner
nissan patrol
4,165 Posts
There is nothing worse than hot coffee on your feet, I think this is a brillant idea. Will be giving this a try. Neccesscity is the mother of invention. I like the way your brain works. Good on you..

·
naturally asthmatic
4,387 Posts
Great idea for the GQs too. A little bit of grey plastic paint on them and you'd think they were factory.

·
Registered
Nissan
192 Posts
That is freakin' awesome and probably one of the best mods I've seen. Especially in my MK that doesn't have any cup holders at all. Not even thought about back in '85. Job's on. Going to Bunnings on the way to work this morning. No more more putting up with unrestrained beverages. I can guarantee it ain't for coffee though. Jamus, you are a leg end mate.

·
Registered
Nissan
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No worries, I know what a PITA spilt drinks are, as it happened every time we used the standard drink space.

Only thing I should add is that you need to soften and fit both pipes at the same time to get them to fit properly and shape them up before they re-harden.

cheers.

·
Registered
Nissan
192 Posts
Guess what...... I get to freakin' Bunnings in Joondalup this morning all excited and they don't have any of the freakin' bits I want. A Holes.......
Must have been a rush of GU owners in there this morning.

·
Registered
nissan
776 Posts
Haha, I went and there was only 1, I was so angry, and I had my brother with me, so I was like man, we need these, and turns out there was 3 mixed in with other cartons on the other side of shelfs. So I got 4, enough for me and patroladdict. Will be heating them tommorow

·
Registered
Nissan
439 Posts
A good idea. The standard holders cost me $700 when my coffee spilled on my Barrett radio

·
Registered
nissan
369 Posts
Hey Jamus, I went to Bunnings today but couldn't find these items. Can you remember what they are listed as on the product identification tags? And could only find 90mm joiners. Waaaaa, I wanna cup holderrrrrr!!!

1 - 20 of 126 Posts