Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so this is my first post here.. or any car forum for that matter.
So i recently bought a 1989 TB42 dual fuel ford maverick, running fine for $1700.
The plan is to eventually get it converted into a sleeper and do a trip around Australia but the mechanics of the car need to be addressed first (obviously). I had planned to do most things myself (As much as I can) but I'm certainly not a mechanic. Although the car is running fine there is a fair few things that i have spotted that indicate a car that has not been well looked after (very very sloppy electrical work, low/empty fluids). Was thinking of starting by dropping all the fluids and oil and working from there? But hey, thats why I'm posting here, seeking all the knowledge and wisdom of those that know a F%$K load more than me :D

Cheers guys.

·
Registered
nissan
472 Posts
Hi, download the workshop manual that can be found at the top of this section and go to maintenance section MA. It has all the info you need for doing a full service on drive train and chassis.

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
Welcome to the forum mate.

That is exactly where I'd start. When ever I purchase a new secondhand vehicle, unless I know for certain and trust the service history, I change all oils and fluids. Engine and filters, gearbox, transfer, diffs, brake, clutch, cooling system, you name it I change it. It costs a bit in oils and fluids, but by doing it yourself you will save some serious coin. The other advantages of doing this is one, you can start a fresh service history, and two you will learn a lot about your new machine.

I would also put checking the wheel bearing high on the priority list, as these are frequently overlooked for way too long on a lot of vehicles.

There, that will keep you busy for a while. Good luck and don't hesitate to ask if you have any queries with the manual procedures.
Catcha;)

·
Registered
nissan patrol
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply mate, am in the process of buying all the fluids and oils online. So far i have the engine oil, coolant, brake, power steering, front & rear diff oils, spark plugs, all new light bulbs, wipers, belts, oil filter.

The air box is really dodgy (has electrical tape keeping it closed), annoyed i didn't see this earlier. Haven't bothered getting an air filter as i think a mechanic will have to sort out the airbox (probably replace) and will be able to sort the air filter out.

I don't really know much at all in terms of hoses, just wondering what i need to know about all the hoses, is replacing them a difficult job? Should i leave them to a mechanic?

Really appreciate your help, can't wait to get started on her 8)

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
Which hoses are you thinking of replacing mate? If it is just radiator hoses they are a piece of cake.;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts