Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G’day everyone,

I have a 1990 GQ wagon with 4.2TD motor that’s been put in it by a previous owner so I’m wondering do I need an engineers certificate because it’s not the original motor even if it’s out of the same model vehicle?

Cheers,

JD

·
Registered
nissan gq
383 Posts
I don't have an answer mate but if you let us know what state your in it will help others to give you an answer.

jim

·
Registered
nissan
1,737 Posts
I think it would be up to the previous owner to get it compliant before they sell it if you bought it registered. I'm in QLD, bought my twin cab 10yrs ago the previous owner had it converted from a wagon to a twin cab but failed to write down it was reduced from a 7 seater to a 5 seater I didn't notice for a couple of yrs which could effect insurance. I saw the rta they inspected it then said the previous owner may be up for a $3,000 fine for failing to change the info.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Going off the plate with my chassis number on it the motor that was originally in the vehicle was a TD42 NA so the only difference would be the motor that is in now is factory turbo TD42 so I was assuming seeing as though I don’t need a certificate for putting an aftermarket turbo on a non turbo diesel motor it’d be no different in my case?

going off the VIC rules about no difference in engine mounts that’d make sense I’m just sceptical about ringing a local engineer as they’d probably just say yes it needs doing to make the quick couple hundred bucks

·
Registered
nissan
1,737 Posts
That changes things I though you meant it had a different motor altogether like going from a 2.8ltr to a 4.2ltr for eg it's just the same thing with a turbo shouldn't be a big deal. Just ring the rta and make an enquirery first and if you have insurance they should be told it's a turbo engine.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Pretty sure adding a turbo technically needs to be certified. I had to when re registering from wa to nsw. But i didnt have to do the emissions test they seem to have to do in vic.
If its already registered im sure it would be easier to get away with. If the rta doesnt flag it when you give them the new engine number then it will likely not get picked up on the yearly pink slip.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I rang the RTA they but they couldn’t give me a straight answer they just kept redirecting me and no one seemed the know. The closest I got to an answer I got was i need to get a blue slip then my rego will state it’s turbo, that makes sense to me but really I have no experience with this sort of thing so making sense to me didn’t mean much haha

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,366 Posts
A bit sad one of our engine swap experts hasn't answered this, but looking at it realistically, if it was just a straight engine swap with no cutting and you didn't go backwards in pollution gear and your above the age restrictions on driving a turbo powered vehicle, then I doubt very much you need it engineered.
Maybe @OldMav can shed some light on it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just spoke with a local engineer he said it needs to be certified as 1990 GQs didn’t come out with a TD42 turbo they were all N/A, the only turbo model was the 2.8

I’ll be doing a bit more research before I spend the 500 bucks though

·
Registered
766 Posts
I guess it will cone down to the guy doing the blue slip.
When i got mine changed from WA i took i found someone that would do a blue slip inspection without putting it in the system as im pretty sure even if it fails then all the non compliant things may be lodged to the RTA.
That way i could decide if there was too much to fix i had time to decide what i wanted to do.
Ended up getting a 3" lift woth superflex arms, commodore seats, steeri g wheel and turbo amd intercooler all engineered.

·
Registered
nissan
128 Posts
I thought some of the safari models came out turboed but they could've all been imports so I don't know how that might change things in your senerio.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts