·
Registered
nissan
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.
Ok, so some history.
Its a '02 GU3 4.8
Got a 2" ultra flexi kit, however i think its a little higher due to me stating i have a front winch and rear draws but i dont, but will be in the next few weeks, so thats why i stated those things, so it may come down slightly.

Installed it all, and at the same time put some 33" mud tyres.
I have done everything but the castor correction.
Drives ok, but at the same time feels a little different and being new to 4wd, i dont know if its the castor or just the fact i went higher with a lift as well the the 33" mud tyres causing some of that feeling ( im use to sports cars with 295/30/18 profile tyres, 2.5deg camber and as much positive castor as possible etc)... so you can see how im not use to the feel of a 4wd, and that is why i want you're feedback, help.

Had a wheel alignment today, the guy said he would leave it as is but if im not happy with the feeling at high speeds, to put a castor correction kit.( basically drive it and see how it feels).
The specs for the GU3 is +3.30' plus or minus 30'( so 3deg to 4deg).
Mine reads:
left -1 deg
right -0.27'
So im out by about 4 degree?

What do you guys think or recommend?
1). Do i go castor correction bushes and if so how many degree?(2deg, 2.5deg, 3deg?)
I heard rubber bushes is the way to go, correct?
2). Drop boxes? will i get too much castor if i go the smallest drop box ( ive seen them say 3"-4" drop box).
3). leave as is, as the castor isnt too bad? whats acceptable?

Like i said, it could be just the way the 4wd is with the lift and tyres and im just over reacting, and replacing the bushes may not get any improvement in feeling different, but with the specs i supplied of the castor, im hoping someone can tell me if thats within reasonable specs, i mean is 4deg less a big deal, major issue on 4wd's?

Car drives relatively straight,no major pulls but does kinda feel light? but ive only managed to test to about 80km/h and going to go now on a 100/110km/h test.

cheers guys.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,006 Posts
I would definitely be fitting some castor correction. Incorrect castor not only causes a vague floaty feeling to your steering but it will also increase bump steer which I hate with a passion. With you castor out by that much you are putting excess pressure on all your front bushes which will not only make them wear out prematurely but also limit flex. Fitting correction bushes will fix the castor however it doesnt fix the downward angle of the radius arms and you will keep wearing out the mushroom bushes where the arm mounts to the chassis. Personally I would be going for drop boxes as the drop the rear of the arm down and also push the diff forward slightly, and you have the advantage of continuing to use the factory bushes.
Another option is to wait untill you get your bar and winch fitted then get the castor corrected again, however the longer this tskes to do, the more chance you have of destroying your current bushes and facing dredded Patrol Death Wobble. Not much fun ant 60kph and pretty f***ing scary at 90-100kph.

·
Registered
nissan
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Id fit a drop box in a heart beat vs bushes, im just worried if it will end up with too much castor? As supposedly I only have a 2inch lift kit.

Ill try and read up on the link given and see if I can work it out.
Ia too much castor bad? And how much over correction is acceptable

·
Registered
nissan
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, yes do have a front steel bar and lights just no winch yet. I also tow 2t my race car

·
Sydoforumsuperfan :)
nissan gu patrol
8,929 Posts
BIG PANDA Have you clicked on the superior link yet and worked out your lift size ??

·
Registered
nissan
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sydo,
Ive measured as per the link you gave me, this is what i got.
Fronts 120mm
Rears 180mm
I could be out by a mm or two but its about that.
From reading the link, says front standard should be 50mm and rears 90mm, so from my readings im getting:
fronts 70mm higher
rears = 90mm higher
So what does that mean now, i dont understand the bottom table!

With those measurements, are you able to calculate if i could use the drop boxes or if they would be no good?

cheers.

P.S. Dad just drove it as well, for the first time and also said all feels good but just the steering feels light.

·
Sydoforumsuperfan :)
nissan gu patrol
8,929 Posts
Front lift is 70mm so 5mm less than 3"

Rear lift is 90mm so 10mm less than 4"

So you should fit 3" Castor correction

·
Registered
nissan
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So the drop boxes that i see advertise as suitable for 3"-5" lifts, does that mean i would be able to get away with them? since mine is closer to 3" lift.

Anyone know the slimmest ones/versions?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts