Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I've just purchased a GU TD42, essentially because of the motor potential, reliability and simplicity combined.
My motor was fully rebuilt to turbo spec 38k k's ago with new head,springs and valves. it has an 11 mm injector pump with boost compensator and injectors all reconditioned.
It has a Kinugowa TD05 18g large fitted and 3 inch mandrel exhaust.
It currently has an ironman snorkel and standard Nissan air box. I've put a deposit on a Cross Country big A$$ intercooler, as by all accounts, they cost money, take ages, but are one of , if not the best for this model.
Now, I want to have all this tuned properly and hopefully only once ( once I get inter cooler).
Can someone advise if the Current snorkel/ air box will make a BIG difference on my output figures? Do I really need to replace existing snorkel with 4 inch pipe and modded air box and if so, about how much difference is this likely to make?
Last but not least, in the above mentioned configuration, any idea what kind of figures I should be expecting ( I tow a 2 ton boat which is tough work currently).
Cheers in advance, H

·
Registered
nissan
217 Posts
If it was me I would look at doing the airbox lid modification as the factory lid is terrible for restriction of air.

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts
If you want to run more than about 20psi then the factory airbox needs to go in the bin (or eBay). Otherwise at the very least modify the lid..you can do the diy pvc mod or buy a smancy replacement lid.

I'm not familiar with the ironman snorkel but the safari and airtec snorkels are very restrictive where they bend near the airbox. There is a diy mod for that too. The rest of the snorkel ain't too bad if you're only running 20-25psi..above that it is recommended.

What type of kinu have you got.. 6 or 8cm?

·
Registered
nissan
1,093 Posts
Don't bother with the airbox and get rid of it. You'll get $200 for it on Ebay to go toward a new one that is more efficient toward flow and filtering with elements at least half the price of OEM. Buy some stainless length and joiners from Bunnings if your budget is restrictive. Help get the Kinu at full boost by 1850!

·
SUI GENERIS UTE
GQ Ute 1990 Silvertop
6,046 Posts
I have posted a lot about this subject. But to condense it a little for you. Your snorkel and air box will work just fine, just not very well. I always talk ideals and the STD air box just doesn't cut it for any ideal, even for that matter a N/A engine, the filtering ability and restriction for the STD assembly including tubing to turbo, is very compromised.

All this talk about induction systems is not about KW's with a 11mm pump, your max possible KW's is 150rwkw best possible from a tricked up 11mm IP. You cannot feel KW you feel torque and response. Your induction system is about response which will effect your torque rise curve which is driveability. You know that stuff that makes towing a pleasure.

For your tune level the outside snorkel bit is not a issue but the crap inside the GU guard is a big problem if you are after response, Your STD air cleaner assembly is fail but there are things you can do that will improve it but these modifications are marginal at best. My logic suggests filtration is key to engine life, trying to pull 300 to 375 cfm of air through a STD air box assembly will see 14 metres / sec air speeds across the tiny bit of element exposed to the inlet opening. A filter element is designed for 4 metres / sec max. So you see you are only filtering rocks not dust regardless of element type.

You suggested the Kinugowa TD05 18g is your turbo. So I suggest to you strongly this turbo needs all the help it can get with induction improvements for response, to be anything like what I would call ideal for towing driveability..

I will say this again your induction system is not so much about KW or boost psi but its all about filtration and your torque curve rise and its relationship to KW rpm's curve. Or if you must its about how quick your turbo shaft can reach its ideal shaft rpm for its efficiency point of lbs/minute pumped, NOT bloody psi..

Another thing to consider for response ideals on your CC cooler when you have the ideal air box and tubing ideals installed, is that silly dork system connecting cooler outlet to intake manifold inlet, that bit is fail for the TD42..

·
Registered
nissan
1,429 Posts
I have posted a lot about this subject. But to condense it a little for you. Your snorkel and air box will work just fine, just not very well. I always talk ideals and the STD air box just doesn't cut it for any ideal, even for that matter a N/A engine, the filtering ability and restriction for the STD assembly including tubing to turbo, is very compromised.

All this talk about induction systems is not about KW's with a 11mm pump, your max possible KW's is 150rwkw best possible from a tricked up 11mm IP. You cannot feel KW you feel torque and response. Your induction system is about response which will effect your torque rise curve which is driveability. You know that stuff that makes towing a pleasure.

For your tune level the outside snorkel bit is not a issue but the crap inside the GU guard is a big problem if you are after response, Your STD air cleaner assembly is fail but there are things you can do that will improve it but these modifications are marginal at best. My logic suggests filtration is key to engine life, trying to pull 300 to 375 cfm of air through a STD air box assembly will see 14 metres / sec air speeds across the tiny bit of element exposed to the inlet opening. A filter element is designed for 4 metres / sec max. So you see you are only filtering rocks not dust regardless of element type.

You suggested the Kinugowa TD05 18g is your turbo. So I suggest to you strongly this turbo needs all the help it can get with induction improvements for response, to be anything like what I would call ideal for towing driveability..

I will say this again your induction system is not so much about KW or boost psi but its all about filtration and your torque curve rise and its relationship to KW rpm's curve. Or if you must its about how quick your turbo shaft can reach its ideal shaft rpm for its efficiency point of lbs/minute pumped, NOT bloody psi..

Another thing to consider for response ideals on your CC cooler when you have the ideal air box and tubing ideals installed, is that silly dork system connecting cooler outlet to intake manifold inlet, that bit is fail for the TD42..
Have I missed something or should I say welcome back Oldmav & NO this isn't a thread steal

Reactions: MQTray

·
SUI GENERIS UTE
GQ Ute 1990 Silvertop
6,046 Posts
Have I missed something or should I say welcome back Oldmav & NO this isn't a thread steal
HaHa you missed nothing of real interest. Just a few life changes of no real consequence.
I never went away, just not a lot that is new or interesting to comment on. This was worth a comment because I get annoyed when boost psi is used as a measure of a turbo's capacity. It has absolutely nothing to do with it, Hence the "bloody" comment..

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts
I never went away, just not a lot that is new or interesting to comment on. This was worth a comment because I get annoyed when boost psi is used as a measure of a turbo's capacity. It has absolutely nothing to do with it, Hence the "bloody" comment..

Did someone mention boost psi as a measure of turbo capacity in this thread? .. I mentioned boost psi as a unit of reference to help the OP determine if they "had" to upgrade their airbox or not. Boost psi is a useful unit of reference as most people have boost gauges in their car not air flow meters and most people get that as they dial up more boost they put more demand on their induction/filtration system...a system that we know is not ideal even at stock levels thanks largely to the testing that you pioneered and shared.

·
SUI GENERIS UTE
GQ Ute 1990 Silvertop
6,046 Posts
No offence intended Tim. I do understand your reference. But I still get annoyed with the psi reference. The reason being it doesn't matter how much boost pressure you push the Kinugowa TD05 18g or a ht18 too they have a finite lbs/minute pump value. I used the HT18 for example cause I know the outputs. This unit at 17 psi pumps less lbs/minute than at 14 psi due to it turning its pumped Air into a heat. And it doesn't matter what cooler you attach to it either.. or another example because we can compare outputs on the same engine regardless of fuel and efficiencies. it doesn't matter what psi you push this Kinugowa too a GTX3071 surpasses its max lbs pumped hence KW/Nm's at less than 16 psi boost on a TD42.. Hence my annoyance.. Then again people like me have very strange logic..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts