Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 4.2TD, fairly standard expect for a 2"lift and winch bar.
Was going to put a snorkel last on my list of upgrades, but have found a relatively cheap second hand Safari one.
Question is, do I really need one?

I expect most people with them will say yes, and those without will say no....

Mostly touring with a the odd weekend bush bash - going Melbourne to Darwin this winter.

Should I save the cash (half price of new) or grab it now while I can?

·
Registered
nissan
291 Posts
simple answer is if your going to go through deep water =yes
if not = no

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,803 Posts
Got a 4.2TD, fairly standard expect for a 2"lift and winch bar.
Was going to put a snorkel last on my list of upgrades, but have found a relatively cheap second hand Safari one.
Question is, do I really need one?

I expect most people with them will say yes, and those without will say no....

Mostly touring with a the odd weekend bush bash - going Melbourne to Darwin this winter.

Should I save the cash (half price of new) or grab it now while I can?
Grab it while you can, could save your engine if you heading to the NT, and even in Melb when you get a bit of flooding. Even in winter, or the dry, there is still plenty of standing water, river crossings around in NT. However, if your just doing the black top tourist route then you may not need one, but they are cheap insurance any way you look at it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Never really thought it necessary myself - but because in my 4800 and I think the diesels the air inlet is connected to air filter via big black U shaped duct.
This duct easily pulls off the air inlet and can be rotated backwards hence making the air inlet at a height of 1.3m - I chicken out when water gets much over a metre anyway - so never bothered - if you do ensure its installed rated for water ingress , standard isn't and is designed to reduce dust only.

Robin Miller

·
Registered
361 Posts
I presume that the 4.2 has the air intake from under the wheel arch, so unless you want all the dust, moisture etc from under the wheel arch sucked in to the air cleaner, then I reckon a snorkel is necessary for traveling off road regardless of the height of water crossings etc.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,364 Posts
id say yes, my old td42 drowned in 800mm of water, the air intake is pretty low in the wheel arch. in saying that i was in a hole which had a bit of a incline to get out, well the bow wave hit the incline and came back which is when i copped it.

If its cheap then u have nothing to lose, IMO getting a snorkle for cleaner air is more of a con job

·
Registered
nissan
48 Posts
I asked the samething. It paid for its self first river crossing. There was a hole that we couldnt see from the bank. Without the snorkle i would have drowned the motor.

Also, i noticed a big difference airfilter. It seems to get cleaner air through the snorkle. Before i was pulling bugs and shovel loads of crap out of the air box.

I would rather have it and not use than be somewhere, rain over night and get stuck.

·
Registered
nissan
1,181 Posts
Most of the time you wont need a snorkel ,heaps of people go everywhere without one, i rush purchased/fitted mine, after reports of bonnet deep water @ Fraser just before our trip, i thought, the time you find you do need one, its to late ,hate to destroy a engine over $400, (getting towed home would cost more than that) so for me, having one fitted was good peace of mind.

When i was fitting my snorkel, i was surprised at how many water droplet/splash marks i saw had got right up into the intake pipes (before aircleaner) i had not gone through anything over 1M.

I also like the way i can now add a pre-cleaner to the ram head, usefull in dusty convoy conditions

·
Registered
nissan
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys,

Hit the "buy it now" button after reading your replies ($225 for a Safari snorkel).

For that sort of money, would seem silly not to, as most of you say.

Cheers

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,803 Posts
Thanks guys,

Hit the "buy it now" button after reading your replies ($225 for a Safari snorkel).

Cheers
Just make sure you sikaflex all joints, when finished the installation have the engine running and put your hand over the snorkel ram head. If it does not want to pull your hand in firmly, then you still have a leak somewhere. I not only coated the joints before assembly, I then ran a bead of sikaflex around the outside of the joint and pressed / forced it into the joint with a small paint scraper as well.

·
Registered
nissan
34 Posts
Thanks guys,

Cheers

Well done mate sounds like a bargain.

Now your next big project will be to cut a big hole hole in a perfectly good panel:toothmis:

There has been times that my snorkel has been worth it's weight in gold:lol:

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
I want one simple for the extra dirt dust and crap they keep out of the airfilter. My last two cars have had snorkles and the airfilters lasted a lot longer. Great buy I reckon.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,229 Posts
No just moisture on his balls.

·
builder not a buyer!
nissan
2,702 Posts
Lucky he had brown jocks on I reckon!

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
In reality no you dont need one

but you dont also NEED a lift kit, bigger tyres, storage, roofrack, etc.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,149 Posts
In reality no you dont need one

but you dont also NEED a lift kit, bigger tyres, storage, roofrack, etc.
DO if you wanna keep up with me...

·
Registered
nissan patrol GU
307 Posts
Yeah, I have one I havent fitted yet purely because Im trying to build up the courage to cut a hole in my perfect panel...

But they are certainly worth it, just open up your airbox n have a look at the crap on the outside of your air filter, I have splash marks and dust, i was told once you fit the snorkel your air filter lasts a lot longer because of cleaner air from up high ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts