Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Master Coalroller
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive my non-comprehensive lack of understanding of all things net webby etc etc, but I was wondering do we have a wiki type function at all?

If we do can someone please be forthcoming with an explanation of it.

I know this is a question about our site, however it is general so I'm posting it here.

·
___BTDT___
42,663 Posts
Forgive my non-comprehensive lack of understanding of all things net webby etc etc, but I was wondering do we have a wiki type function at all?

If we do can someone please be forthcoming with an explanation of it.

I know this is a question about our site, however it is general so I'm posting it here.
No, when a question is asked about Patrols we are the first option on google, there are a few reasons for this which I won't complicate the thread with.

The closest thing you have is the google custom search at the top of the page.

OK now it is my turn, what makes you ask this question?????????

·
Master Coalroller
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Please be seated, this will take a while.

So whilst the miles were thumping away under the truck wheels today I came to a thought, Why couldn’t I find that post I made in that thread about the TD42 overheating? Well the answer is simple; there are too many bloody threads about the kettle being a kettle and so on and so forth.

So I thought why not have an all Australian sub forum containing locked stickies for each component of the Patrol? A reader or members can then access the relevant information easily and quickly.

Let’s begin with engine section. An ALL Australian sub section: A Nissan engine list would contain a locked sticky for each engine type. All Nissan engines will be listed.

All Australian P40; All Australian SD33; All Australian SD33T; All Australian TD42; All Australian TD42T; All Australian TB42; All Australian TB45; All AustralianRB30; All Australian RD28T; All Australian TD42Ti; All Australian ZD30Di; All Australian TB48; All Australian ZD30CRD.

It may well be that there is a requirement for high tune engines to be included also, however best to be discussed further.

Locked Sticky first posts should be written as an introduction, begin with a basic description of the engine and an engine bay pic, and explain to the reader the how the compilation of the further information was achieved.

Below these would be a thread for each engine listed. Discussion in these threads will be subject to the following no BS rules:

In the beginning, every post will begin with “regarding the (component): and the proposal regarding that component follows. Quoted posts are the same as currently performed, and the onus is on the poster as to the relevance, quality and integrity of the supplied content being appropriate.
EG: “Regarding head bolts: I rather use Green stud kits over Yellow TTY head bolts due to the yellow being typical of a lower boost rated engine tune. I found this through trial and error”.

Eventually a suggested paragraph containing the product of knowledge gained from the group discussion of a component, is tabled in the following fashion: In a post beginning with “@MOD(member), I propose that: (insert component, modification, process or measure) be included in the All Australian TD42 Sticky”.
EG: “@MOD(member), I propose that Head fastening should follow the following process, using the following components: either Green stud kits to ???PSI boost, or Yellow TTY head bolts under ??? PSI boost ETC ETC.

So all posts would begin with:
"regarding the (component):"
or
"@MOD(member), I propose that:"

The product of knowledge and linguistic skills of both the discussion group and relevant MODS would then be carefully trimmed and edited to form a post in the sticky. When two differing opinions are produced, the proposal to include both in the sticky as an option should be proposed, as such appropriate behaviour is necessary for this sub forum to perform its intended function.

Oh, FIGJAM meh...

:cool:

·
Pass the Popcorn
6,492 Posts
Great idea mate.

However I would think every mod here is going to bed with a headache after reading that.

Can you imagine the workload that would take.

·
SUI GENERIS UTE
5,812 Posts
BR This is not such a bad idea but it has been discussed many times in the past even right at the conception of this forum to be different from outer limits.

The sticking point has always been who has the time and commitment and dedication to make this sort of sub forum work as it should.

For example when i decided it was time to lift the ZD engine and its issue to the forefront of help and discussion. i deliberated a lot on how to make this new sub forum work with the emphasis it deserved. That attribute of course was obvious it needed a old guy with knowledge and dedication to manage this section. I had that guy on this forum so he was made a mod to make this section what it is today. No disputing this section is a success beyond my wildest dreams. I have no doubt it is the best information forum on the ZD engine in the world and probably the best info section in the world on any engine. But it is only like that due to one mans passion and dedication for this little engine.

Truly i would love dearly to set up sub forums for each engine using your suggested format. But to drive this sort of thing it needs a moderator with at least half of the passion and dedication of the man i chose many years back to drive the ZD forum.

In saying that i know our admin members would love to structure such a ambitious project. But who to drive so many engine section with the required passion is the hard bit. Its not just the structure the info in those sections it has to be correct and probable to be successful.

We have already added a new subsection for the chev 6.5 conversion as a lets see what happens.

Please dont think i am being negative here, i am not that couldn't be further from the truth. We are always on the lookout for fresh ideas and concepts to try to keep our forum positive and flourishing. Your suggestion has a lot of merit especially the format idea.

I am sure GU2 and i will discuss your suggestion in our weekly phone con.

·
___BTDT___
42,663 Posts
Have moved this to Forum News where feedback of this type is welcomed for discussion and is more easily found. Let me tell you that putting together the ZD30 sections was a mammoth task, as Pete has said this has been discussed several times over the years, the problem is will it get used and add value or will it stagnate and not be worth the input it took to establish the section? We already do have an archive section in GPD, and I offered to setup similar in the Y62 section but I've had no feedback for either.

·
Rogue
20,643 Posts
If we're talking true wikis, whilst I love wikis and have established a few business ones, in the context of the forum, establishing a wiki essentially eliminates a significant portion of contribution and traffic. Unfortunately, rehashing the same problems over and over again is a necessary evil. Asking the same question every now and then can also bring the conversation to new audiences as new members join, members have different experiences since the last discussion and new technologies or methods are developed for dealing with issues.

A better accomodation would be sub-forums like the ZD30 ones. One sticky thread with a paragraph of history and a few key links to tried and tested methods

1 - 8 of 8 Posts