Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys as stated in the title do any of you go our and play by yourself (no not that way). I mean in your patrol usually I am to scared to go out by myself incase something happens although considering I have a winch and all the gear I am beginning to think I shouldnt be scared, afterall when I so go out with my mates I am the one who recovers them or is forced to go first to make sure we will make it.

·
Banned
nissan patrol
178 Posts
yer just to get my fix, there are a coulpe of tracks close to home and there fairly tame so good to do on the way home with my son(4yrs) and loves going wheelin in dads truck :) he does come out regularly on some of the half day outings but anything longer than that he gets over it.

·
Registered
nissan
308 Posts
I head off with my missus and my dog camping / 4wding often .. get stuck often. Nothing better than being out in the bush with no one else around. Gotta stay out of the boggy stuff tho.

·
Banned
nissan patrol
178 Posts
only if your solo :)

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
439 Posts
Yeah most of the time the missus and me go out on our own as we can please ourselves on what to do and when to do without having other people to worry about.
We also go out in groups aswell.
We are doing the GRR on our own in April/May this year and then in October we are off to do the Holland track with a group.

·
Registered
nissan
539 Posts
Yeah - me and the missus go off on our own. I have HF radio and loads of water for the worst case scenario. I also don't tackle anything too difficult.

·
Registered
581 Posts
yeah i head out by meself sometimes just cause, may aswell try a different way home sometimes when you have a 4bie.

·
Registered
nissan gu
166 Posts
I have done a few trips into the high country on my own, well with my son in tow. Only on one occasion was I concerned about getting home. The mighty Nissan got me out ok :)

Sometimes you just have to get out and have that 4x4 / bush fix, without it I would go mad. If I waited for the mates to find an opening in their calendars I would be in a home by now.........

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
i remember my missus had a friday night off work,so we went and hired a movie at about 9.30pm. i decided against my girls advice to go have a quick look down at a local bush area... i let her drive for a bit, she attempted to climb up and over some sort of fire brake. not enough speed, we bottomed out hard. we tried for at least and hour and a half..i even tied some rope to the front drive shaft and tied the other side to a tree and slowly wound it in, just as it started to pull the car slightly,the rope snapped and then it wasnt long enough to try again! finally got it out by wedging rubble under the wheels and rocked up and down on the rear bar whilst she had her foot flat stick on the gas.

was about 11pm and well dark. i decided to go have a look around still(against the missus's wishes again)

all was fine till we returned to the same spot we were stuck before,it was the only way out and i was confident a bit of momentum would see us out easily. i gave it some **** but bounced around on the rubble i had previously placed in the ruts. she bottomed out even harder than last time.

anyhow...to cut an already long story short.... we dug and rocked untill 1.54am till my mate finally found out he had 20 missed calls from me and came and pulled us out.

didnt have any food or water or blankets or anything,lucky the heaters worked well :)

still good fun though

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,675 Posts
We do most of out trips solo.
Have never seen an issue with it other than the fact that I get to be winch bitch and she drives during recoverys.

·
Registered
175 Posts
anyhow...to cut an already long story short.... we dug and rocked untill 1.54am till my mate finally found out he had 20 missed calls from me and came and pulled us out.
What can i say, i was at the pub haha. Interesting night that one.

Perfect example of going out solo was on the weekend, went out with oilrig, both of us in my 4WD to get our fix of off road action. I got perched on some uneven terrain and we had to winch our way out, using my old towbar of all things as a sort of land anchor to pull me out. Unless no one knows where you are going and none of your mates have phones or fourbies you are pretty set. It might take a few phone calls and some patient waiting, but if you get stuck someone will eventually be silly enough to stop what they are doing (leave the pub in my case) and either pull you out or come and offer some sort of assistance.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,225 Posts
I go out by myself and just about every time I do it something goes wrong. Worst one was my clutch completely packed it in about 2 hours from civilization, had to walk many kms to get to a pay phone as there is no phone receiption and call a mate in his crusier to drive 3 hours to come and tow me. I always have a winch, chain block(hand winch thing), food, swag, jackets, camp stove, water, maps (electronic and paper), etc with me. I can easily live a week in the bush with just the stuff I leave in the car.

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
I have done lots of solo trips some short distances a fare few around 400klms, I go prepared, I have heaps of recovery gear, two winches.

But I did get caught out once with mechanical falure and had to walk 40klm to find help.

·
Registered
nissan
1,177 Posts
We gave up inviting our friends on small trips and now just make our own plans, if we waited for the people we know with 4x4s, we would never go anywhere, i really dont know why some people bother owning a fourby ?

·
Registered
449 Posts
I prefer going out with others, it makes the conversation around the fire a bit more interesting!

However, when I go out alone, I try not to get my ambitions and capabilities of myself or my GQ confused...
I've got stuck a couple of times but I've always been able to get myself out.....

so far!

·
Registered
nissangupatrol
496 Posts
We gave up inviting our friends on small trips and now just make our own plans, if we waited for the people we know with 4x4s, we would never go anywhere, i really dont know why some people bother owning a fourby ?

thats the hard part! and i think it was said earlier in the thread if we waited for friends to get organised to go 4wding we would all be in a home....

i just think its entertaining....if get the bus stuck....i am the shovel pig and winch bitch
when she gets the bus stuck....i am the shovel pig and winch bitch

we go out regularly with about a 200-300km range and make sure someone always knows when we are expected back and where we are going. just as a safety measure...we just dont try anythign to extreme

·
It's all good
nissan patrol
4,206 Posts
we gave up inviting our friends on small trips and now just make our own plans, if we waited for the people we know with 4x4s, we would never go anywhere, i really dont know why some people bother owning a fourby ?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts