Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
4,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
all the time, switched on or do you take it out or switch it off and only turn it on when going out.

How do you use them?

·
Registered
449 Posts
It pretty much lives in there.
I unplug it, leave the lid open after cleaning it.
Plug it back in the night before departure,
Drop the basket of frozen and cold goodies in to help it cool down.
Haven't had a problem, so far.....

·
Registered
nissan
62 Posts
Nope. We keep it inside as the drinks fridge. We only put it in the car if we are going away for a couple of days. On day trips we just take the Evakool esky! The Engel is +10 years old and never missed a beat.

·
Registered
nissan
675 Posts
Leave it in the wagon, turned off, lid ajar. 240 it the night before its intended use. Load next morn with cold goodies.

·
Gone Fishing
NISSAN 1989 GQ PATROL
6,203 Posts
Leave it in the wagon, turned off, lid ajar. 240 it the night before its intended use. Load next morn with cold goodies.
Same I run it atleast once a month if not going away! Manual said too ,and turn it on when the missus goes crazy in the frozen section at the supermarket:)

·
Registered
nissan
1,086 Posts
always on. i run a small elec lead hidden under the seats to the drivers seat. pull in the shed and have a lead hanging from the roof and just plug it in to 240 through the window and walk away. anytime we go somewhere it has the kids cold drinks, a few beers and a rumbo. been like that for 5yrs and has been in 3-4 rolls onto its side while fitted and bounced all over the shop and never missed a beat. mate has the same set up and his is about 10 yrs old and has never been off for more than a day. gotta love a 40lt engel.:D

·
Registered
nissan
1,729 Posts
Mines in the house running the whole time as the deep freeze for the dog food. Comes out for trips out camping.

My father in law is a fridge mechanic and said it will last forever providing it doesn't sit too long without running. Each time they do they lose some lifespan out of the gas.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Mine is in shed at home with UDL's in it.

I know some insurance companies require your fridge to be permanently mounted to be covered.. Dudes on EO were bolting theirs down.

·
Registered
nissan
4,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The reason I ask is the Trailblazer is not 240volt only 24/12 so I didn't know weather it was ok to run full time.

·
Gone Fishing
NISSAN 1989 GQ PATROL
6,203 Posts
The reason I ask is the Trailblazer is not 240volt only 24/12 so I didn't know weather it was ok to run full time.
I think you can get a 240-12V box for them!, my evakool came with one (transformer i mean) I got rid of the ciggy plug and put anderson on mine aswell.:)

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
439 Posts
The fridge is in the back when we go away.

·
Registered
nissan
354 Posts
Runs 24/7 in the back, may occassionally stop when the 2nd and 3rd battery get a little low.

Always has something in it to drink, even if it's just water. Also good for grocery shopping, can go shopping, chuck the cold and frozen stuff in it and don't have to race home.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,194 Posts
My old Engel is in and out of the car as neccesary, can sometimes sit for months in the shed turned off, then might fill it with booze for a few months, then might use it as an extra freezer when something special is on, happens as the whim dictates. Nothing regular, still going beautifully 20+ years later.
It's been around and across AU, the outside looks a bit second hand though.

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
334 Posts
my trailblazer lives 24/7 in the back with at least two six packs in it and a few bottles of water as well. Even throw my smoko in it every day so there is no need for an esky anymore.

·
Registered
Nissan
1,442 Posts
My Autofridge lives in the car and stays on all the time, My car normally gets pluged in to a ctek each night via an anderson to keep eveything tip top :)

·
Registered
Nissan
786 Posts
Not sure what kind of fridge you're talking about, is it as this factory cool box:

The case/box in front of the passenger is also a cool box, all of them are connected to the central/rear AC

Though you can close them separately

Comes from factory for all Y60 (GQ) models 1988-1997, GCC Spec, highest package (super safari), available too in Y61+Y62 models of course.

·
Gone Fishing
NISSAN 1989 GQ PATROL
6,203 Posts
Not sure what kind of fridge you're talking about, is it as this factory cool box:

The case/box in front of the passenger is also a cool box, all of them are connected to the central/rear AC

Though you can close them separately

Comes from factory for all Y60 (GQ) models 1988-1997, GCC Spec, highest package (super safari), available too in Y61+Y62 models of course.
WOW! never seen them in aus! Good setup.:D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts