Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets play a game, by looking at the 2 pictures,

did the vehicle that left these skidmarks have Stability control and ABS or not?

Ignore the patrol in the background, these skidmarks did not belong to it.

I will post up the full story of what happened and what vehicle it was in a few replys.

Attachments

·
Creepy Lurker
nissan
542 Posts
I'd say neither or faulty ABS, But did it go in backwards? There is some strange angles there, or maybe its just the way I'm looking at it!

·
Registered
2003 GU PATROL
20,262 Posts
Looks like only the rears locked up and stopped past 90deg to the road.

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,673 Posts
Vehicle did not have a functioning abs or asc. Skid mark is continuous so no abs. You end up sliding straight ahead when you lock up a vehicle with asc on dirt. (Think major understeer) I turn it off on the VE Sportwagon on dirt roads because it will straighten out the car on high speed corners. You can not steer with the throttle if you have asc.

·
Registered
Nissan
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the skid marks belong to our 2012 Toyota Rav4, this Rav4 comes with Vehicle stability control and ABS standard. Did it work? Skid marks say No, 39,000kms on the clock

So driving home from Toowoomba Last week, on the last 30Km on our 850km journey, spotted a few Kangaroos so speed was back down to around 80-90km/h on this patch of road.

Had a Kangaroo hop out in front of me hit the anchors.... very little response didnt seem to want to pull up pushed them even harder and was not pulling up right at the end tryed to manuver around the kangaroo ( as you do with a vehicle equiped with VCS and ABS) clipped the kangaroo and spun out into the table drain with no control.

minor panel damage so the roo should not have spun the car off corse

No Beeping or warning lights as you get when things get out of hand

4th Car i have owned with stability control so i know how its suposed to behave

1st ever insurance claim in nearly 13 years of driving so I am a carful driver and know how to handle a vehicle.

Apperas somthing has gone completly wrong with the Saftey systems in the car

Toyota has been notified and the car is going in on Wendnesday to get checked out

An incident like this needs to be reported to Toyota australia!!!

·
After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says W
06 Td42ti coil cab chassis
17,237 Posts
That's a bit of a mind bender,

but anyway, I usually go by this chart...

The unsolved crime would only happen if the brakes completely failed wouldnt it L J.??

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
11,014 Posts
the skid marks belong to our 2012 Toyota Rav4, this Rav4 comes with Vehicle stability control and ABS standard. Did it work? Skid marks say No, 39,000kms on the clock

So driving home from Toowoomba Last week, on the last 30Km on our 850km journey, spotted a few Kangaroos so speed was back down to around 80-90km/h on this patch of road.

Had a Kangaroo hop out in front of me hit the anchors.... very little response didnt seem to want to pull up pushed them even harder and was not pulling up right at the end tryed to manuver around the kangaroo ( as you do with a vehicle equiped with VCS and ABS) clipped the kangaroo and spun out into the table drain with no control.

minor panel damage so the roo should not have spun the car off corse

No Beeping or warning lights as you get when things get out of hand

4th Car i have owned with stability control so i know how its suposed to behave

1st ever insurance claim in nearly 13 years of driving so I am a carful driver and know how to handle a vehicle.

Apperas somthing has gone completly wrong with the Saftey systems in the car

Toyota has been notified and the car is going in on Wendnesday to get checked out

That is definitely not right!
No experience with stab control in a Rav, but on a commodore you can go from a 60km/h out of control slide to pointing in the right direction and in complete control in a couple of secs. The Rav should be the same.

Reactions: skegbudley

·
Registered
596 Posts
I wont get into the debate of if it does or doesn't have this or that;)

In saying that though, there are PLENTY of high Euro's that go sideways into something hard, so you can definitely outdrive ABS\ESC, I would put my nuts on high end Euros having better stuff than a Rav4, so it's not impossible to do it I would say, more so cause we are looking at the pics:D

I would have thought though, that IF there is a fault, the car would be letting you know:confused:

Never EVER swerve to miss Skippy, even with the hand of god on the steering wheel, it can end I tears ;)

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,673 Posts
Exactly James.
If it was functioning. You can do stupid sh t with asc and the car will fix it. I've found that it is very hard to get the ve sideways with asc on. With it off, it is drift city. ;)
That rav 4 has issues.

Ps i have driven rav 4 s fast on and off road so I know how they should behave. (Hire cars are awesome)

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,351 Posts
Interesting that the car left a solid skid mark on the bitumen. I agree it should be reported but given Toyota's history of covering their ass at the risk on the publics safety I would consider reporting it to someone more independent as well like the RAC, ANCAP or a government body. Toyota aren't going to issue a finding that results in a recall...

·
Registered
Nissan
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The stability control in the rav4 is not right, Every other car i have owned with it will start activating nearly instantly when in a slide.

We will see what the outcome is in the next few days

If you do some reasearch Rav4 sold in the US had a recall where a plug would come loose and disabeling VCS and ABS with no indication, Apparently US models only tho.

Seems toyota have had a sketchy history with VSC in their vehicles, many coustomer complaints according to Google, Wheels magazine even managed to put a kluger on its side during testing on a track a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,351 Posts
I think you are onto something...

Did you get a part number for the faulty plug? Can you see where it is on your RAV?

The stability control in the rav4 is not right, Every other car i have owned with it will start activating nearly instantly when in a slide.

We will see what the outcome is in the next few days

If you do some reasearch Rav4 sold in the US had a recall where a plug would come loose and disabeling VCS and ABS with no indication, Apparently US models only tho.

Seems toyota have had a sketchy history with VSC in their vehicles, many coustomer complaints according to Google, Wheels magazine even managed to put a kluger on its side during testing on a track a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
This is why everything I own has a big slab of metal on the front of it... fark ya stability control.

If in doubt just run the farker over. Dont even worry bout hitting the anchors, keep your monentum up and plow through.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
1,685 Posts
Do you know what wheels are responsible for what marks

Regards Don
Judging from the story and the skid marks, I'd say front wheels into the bottom of the ditch and the arse kept sliding along the road for a bit, hence the 2 skids on the road getting closer together as the car went more sideways.

Happily stand corrected though.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Judging from the story and the skid marks, I'd say front wheels into the bottom of the ditch and the arse kept sliding along the road for a bit, hence the 2 skids on the road getting closer together as the car went more sideways.

Happily stand corrected though.
If that is the case i would say that the abs was operating on the sealed road and the skid mark on the sealed road is the rear sliding across the road at a angle and the pronounced marks in the gravel are from the fronts locking up when the gravel road strategy function of the abs system activated

I think that abs and vsc were working but they cannot override steering input from the driver in a panic situation at a reasonably high speed and this is why it ended up sideways off the road

Both systems are aids only but ultimately the driver still has control of the vehicle

Regards Don

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,348 Posts
That's right! Get some metal on ya front!

And unsolved crime happens on the way to the dungeon when they're dragged :naughty:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts