Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering replacing my standard size (31") tyres with 33" on my 2005 GUIV ZD30 manual wagon.

About a thousand years ago when I replaced the 28" tyres on my series IIA SWB Land Rover with 31" ones it made big difference to the effective gearing - hills I used to be able to climb in low second before needed low first after. The old landie motor was a mighty 45 kW at the fly wheel so I guess it was not surprising that a 10% change in wheel diameter had a noticeable effect. This was also a problem because in low first there was no chance of using any momentum - there wasn't any.

So my question is whether increasing to 33" has any noticeable effects on crawling, climbing or decending abilities. I have also been thinking about lower transfer gearing, but the budget won't stand it a the moment.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
37 Posts
I noticed a little bit of difference with the gearing on mine (GQ TD42T) after going from 31's to 33's, but it was mainly on road, like take off and pick up etc.

But the offroad ability improved heaps, mainly due to the extra bit of clearance and more aggressive tread patterm though.

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
I've driven both chipped and standard GU's on 33" muddies at Glasshouse, and there is ample power where you need it, both in high and low range work. Steep hills are about the only place that the gearing change has a noticable negative affect, but you could easily get that back with a 3" exhaust system, plus more everywhere else too.

2" lift and 33" tyres is perfect for a GU.

·
Registered
nissan
4,454 Posts
I can honestly say that I didn't feel any difference at all when I changed, I even went from Pirelli scorpions to Maxxis bighorns and the tyres got quieter at low speeds, the old ones were truly stuffed.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
587 Posts
I noticed a MINOR difference when i went form 31" highway tyres to 33" bighorns, top speed dropped about 8-9kph, but the car is 10000000X easier to steer off road, definitely recommended

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,157 Posts
I changed from 33's back to 32's, and I certainly noticed the difference in gearing and engine response on road. Quite noticeable in my opinion. I have a turbo 4.2.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
It all comes down to personal expectations... 500 maybe happy, but you might not be.

Good to see a new question being asked.

·
Registered
nissan
32 Posts
I felt it. Running 305s on mine and its definately a bit slower on takeoff. Once its going its fine. Easy to overtake and plenty of power. Its just that initial takoff.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts