Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm looking at a mild lift kit on the GU and got stuck on shock selection. Am asking for "recent" info/experience on both of these. I've searched around, and found a fair bit saying both items are rubbish, but then also find that many say they thought the issues had been resolved now.

Would love to know peeps opinions on the quality / reliability of both. Considering the Superior product adds an additional $1K to the kit price, I'm wondering if it is worth the extra coin.

Registered
I've had the superior ones for 3 years now still going fine. Worth the extra well that's an individual thing. I bought them when they were on special and wanted adjustable so no point me comparing them to the price of non adjustables. Handle similar to the Konis I took off because they were too short.

Every dog has his day
nissan
I鈥檝e got the 2鈥 remote res superior shocks. It鈥檚 a temporary thing as I have neither the time nor the inclination to rebuild my kings any time soon.

They鈥檝e only been on less than two months, and for the price I am bloody impressed. The adjustment mechanism offers a very nice solid click, and the build quality appears very good.

Superior hasn鈥檛 always had a sterling reputation for their shocks, but I suspect all the years of experimentation has paid off and these things appear to represent exceptional value for money.

I rate them and I鈥檓 now not in any mad rush to rebuild my kings any time soon, box is ticked and I have heaps more pressing stuff to mod on the car for now.

Sorry I can鈥檛 speak first hand on the dobbos... so no direct comparison.

Registered
nissan
put a set of superior shocks on the sister in laws 3l and they are fairly good for the money. one of the swivel fittings on hers is leaking but thats nothing new for superior. most of the things about them seem good but she jumped in my truck with 2.5" radflos and commented on how much better the ride was. but price wise they are not comparable either.

i think for the money they are hard to go past but there is definitely better shocks out there.

Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
My only knowledge of the Dobinson was a friend of mine had some that very poor quality, and he eventually got a full refund for them and bought something else. But that was a number of years ago. I don't know anyone else that has them.

As for Superior, I have a set of the adjustables, and cannot find fault with them from a manufacturing point of view. If you look at one stripped down, and side by side with a Fox shock, you will see they are very similar. Some people will rubbish them and say they are poor quality, but I cannot see it.

I am doing a development tuning job to suit Firestone Airide airsprings, so I have been pulling mine down to make changes to the valving to get them to work how I want. So far, I have stripped the rear shocks down, and put them back together again using the same seals etc without any new parts, 201 times. Seem quite well made to me.

Registered
Nissan
put a set of superior shocks on the sister in laws 3l and they are fairly good for the money. one of the swivel fittings on hers is leaking but thats nothing new for superior. most of the things about them seem good but she jumped in my truck with 2.5" radflos and commented on how much better the ride was. but price wise they are not comparable either.

i think for the money they are hard to go past but there is definitely better shocks out there.

You are comparing a 2" shock with a 2.5". Completely different class.

Bang for buck can't complain with them

Registered
Nissan MK,GQ & now GU.
I have the superior adjustables in my GU ute. Cannot fault them. They replaced bilstiens and compared to them they are a bit better on the softest setting.

No idea about dobinsons.

Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
Looks like a full set of Fox 2.0 remote res adjustables are only an extra $370

Edit: I could have that wrong. Not sure those Fox shocks are adjustable. Or at least not clicker adjustable like the Superior. I'm impressed by the superior at that price.

Registered
nissan
You are comparing a 2" shock with a 2.5". Completely different class.

Bang for buck can't complain with them
im aware of that. it more says there is better riding shocks out there but for the money the superior shocks are hard to beat.
though for a couple of hundred more id probably get foxes

Registered
Nissan
im aware of that. it more says there is better riding shocks out there but for the money the superior shocks are hard to beat.
though for a couple of hundred more id probably get foxes
If you're willing to put the time in you could get the 2" shock working well for your car, but it will never have the flow of a 2.5"

Registered
nissan
I had Dobinson MRR fitted to the rear of my previous vehicle (NW Pajero) a mate also had them fitted at around the same time. We both had issues with the reservoir lines blowing off and dropping the contents of the shock everywhere. Mine had done less than 2000km's and the first one blew on the road out to Middle Lagoon at Cape Leveque after only a couple hundred km's of rough stuff. I changed them out in Broome for OME's as that was all I could get at short notice.

Later on the same trip while on the CSR, my mates vehicle also blew a reservoir line, so we fitted the one spare MRR I had to his vehicle, this lasted less than a day before suffering the same fate and he had to end his trip and exit the CSR at Kunawarritji. They were all eventually sent back to dobinsons for warranty repair. I didn't trust them after that and sold them, unfortunately the guy I sold them to had the same issue happen. All 3 of them blew the line off from the shock end as shown in the pic below.
I'll never use them again.

To be fair we were both heavily loaded and the OME's that I had fitted in Broome also failed on the same trip. My 100,000km old Bilsteins that I had taken along as spares came to the rescue for me and I finished the trip with them fitted back in.

Registered
nissan
Hey guys. Any new developments on the Superior Vs Dobinson? Ill be in the market for some new shocks soon.
I'm pushing 3000kg empty and 3400kg loaded so shes a big moose. Thoughts?

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
I ended up going with the MRR. Only been a few months on and haven't really done too much due to bloody COVID. They ride well on the road and handled a recent trip to Landcruiser Mountain park without any issues, but its prolly still to early to say about longevity.

To date I have no leaks or anything that i can see, so I'm keeping fingers crossed.

I wasnt really all that impressed with Dobinsons that installed them though TBH, it does tend to lurch quite a bit around corners, and when I went back they said "oh yeah, you need new swaybar links". They should have advised on that from the start I think. I went in and asked for remote res kit installed drive in drive out.... grumble grumble....

Registered
Hey guys. Any new developments on the Superior Vs Dobinson? Ill be in the market for some new shocks soon.
I'm pushing 3000kg empty and 3400kg loaded so shes a big moose. Thoughts?
I have done a bit of stuffing around over the last few years with Superior remote res shocks. If you have a look will be a thread I started to supply some general info on the experience of trying to set them up to my liking. Mine were the first ones to come on the market, so second generation will now doubt be slightly different.

I do not like to give up. As a mate of mine said to me recently "you are not a quitter". So I persisted with the project, believing I could get a good set-up. I changed valving specs on the front about 140 times roughly, and on the rear, I did exactly 250 valving changes. I experimented with my own hand made bleed shims, and even modified the pistons to try and get some results. But at number 250 I gave up. They are now back in boxes on the shelf.

I concluded they were either not good enough, or that I was not good enough. So I replaced them with US made shocks, and using the same methods of tuning have gained results after 3 valving adjustments. Not finished yet, but each valving change shows a result without a corresponding problem elsewhere. So, the quality of the US made shocks is showing, and it is significant.

Sure, Asian made shocks are cheaper, but they are not good value when they end up on a shelf rather than in the car.

So those are my "thoughts" on the subject.

Registered
Radflo's?
Yes I went Radflo. I was intending to buy Fox, but the supplier, Down South Motorsports, has started to use Radflo more often than Fox now. They have had supply problems, and were not able to guarantee delivery times. But more concerning was they found the quality of the product was dropping off. Pistons now nylon instead of aluminium, was the big one. And they found the nylon pistons were not giving them the results they were used to. The owner has the Fox DSC units on his Patrol and told me that he had never managed to get them right. So they are doing a lot of Radflo. Plenty of Kings stuff in the shop too, but most of it appears to be bypass competition stuff for offroad racing.

Registered
I should also add that I reckon the next step up from ARB, Tough Dog, EFS etc etc would be Koni or Bilstein for me. I think the extra you pay for them would show in their performance, based on what I read from users. After that, if you want or need remote res stuff, then I would not go the cheap options. Remote res shocks, especially adjustable ones, are a high end product, and should perform as such. I would be saving the extra money for the dearer stuff.

That has been my experience anyway.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts