Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i ordered what i thought was a 45mm lift from Dobinsons, springs and shocks, supposeably medium weight to suit 2nd battery, winch, steel bar and sliders. No rear seat, just a lightweight plywood shelf. Its a manual TD42 and this was made clear. They seller had to call Dobinsons and double check since he didnt know what model to choose.

I installed it today and its LOWER that what was on there. I used to have an OME kit, from the centre of the hubs to the wheel flares was 550mm on every corner. the reason i replaced it is that its from 2003 and handled pretty badly. The part numbers are OME970 and OME980, which is a 50mm lift apparently.

The new Dobinsons kit is more like 510mm from the centre of the hubs to the wheel flares!! Which looks a bit silly and means i've lost clearance! So the brand new Dobinsons 45mm kit is LOWER than a sagged old OME kit from 2003 and LOWER than stock height! (Apparently the STOCK suspension is supposed to be 550mm.)

The part numbers on the boxes appear to be what i need but why is it so low?

Surely Dobinsons aren't selling kits that lower the vehicle?

Dunno what to do about this but its ridiculous. Dobinsons and the seller are closed on the weekend so i cant call them.

The Dobinsons parts i got are C45094, C45097V and GS45-114, GS45-115.
http://www.dobinsonsprings.com/vehicles/nissan/patrol/y60-gq/niss-56/

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
They should swap the springs over to higher rate for you .

·
Registered
nissan
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I damn well hope they do!

I just measured the bumpstops, 55mm at the front and 100mm at the rear. I believe that standard is 60mm at front and 100mm at the rear so its not higher at all. What a mess!!

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
Yes your right with bumpstop measurements , front is lower than standard , rear is standard height

Very odd

·
Registered
nissan
1,089 Posts
Mate you have a steel bull bar & winch & dual batteries & sliders & TD42
Simply the wrong coils for the job
You need heavy duty coils for that weight.
The seller has no idea what coils to use

·
Registered
nissan
1,820 Posts
My TD42 has a steel bar winch and no second batt and has tjm 50mm lift with extra heavy duty coils in the front which is what they recommended for mine and they support the weight very well.

·
Registered
nissan
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok thanks for the advice guys, hopefully they are good about it and just replace them.

The seller specifically called Dobinsons to check what was suggested so im not blaming them just yet.

·
Registered
nissan
885 Posts
My best guess is that someone screwed up in the factory and put the wrong labels on it.

My car is certainly not that heavy.
Been over a weighbridge? Be interesting to see what it weighs.

Swap them for heavier coils, just the wrong rate for the job.

·
Registered
nissan
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess thats what they're gonna have to do.

Its such a pain in the arse because i specifically told them every detail about my car so this didn't happen. All the accessories i have are pretty standard so you'd think they'd know what suits by now.

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Was going to say that every Dobinsons lift I've seen is higher than most other brands for the spec.

Member RicknJo went Dobinsons 2" in his GU IV, and next to my GU IV with OME 2" his looked more like a 4" lift!

·
Its a unimog thing, understand?
452 Posts
I would suggest after my experience that Dobinson's may have given the wrong part nbr. I was given different recommendations from Dobinson's depending which branch I spoke to.

I ordered my coils based on the head office recomendations (emailed them f/r weights, corner weights, acessories etc etc) , but speaking to the guys here is Sydney, after they finally arrived and fitted, their comment was that no way would they have recommended those coils.

Given that experience and the 9 weeks it took them to actually get me the coils..I don't exactly have much faith in them any more and they are probably going to get pulled and replaced as like you the rears are sitting a bit lower than the front and that's with the patrol empty.

They won't swap them either as I ordered them by part number, even though I have the email from them with their recommendation.

·
Registered
GU IV TI 4.8
356 Posts
i'd recommend to anyone to download the dobinsons 4x4 suspension catalogue, have a good browse and work out the most suitable springs for your car yourself based on desired height and accessory weights.

after ordering a lift kit a few years back by giving someone full vehicle setup details and them deciding what to supply, i eventually worked out recently that the springs i was given were not suitable at all for the vehicle setup i have which was why my ride was so rough. (was given 3" no load springs for a 2" front lift with steel bull bar, dual batteries and winch)

i browsed the catalogue, chose some new springs, got some quotes for supply, ordered them and ended up fitting them myself at home. big improvement in ride.

if you're not confident enough to make a final decision yourself, at least get an idea of what's available before consulting a pro.

·
Registered
GU IV TI 4.8
356 Posts
ah yeah sorry the section for your swb doesn't have the same details as I was referring to with the gu lift (no load, 50-100kg etc). seems to be just choices between linear and variable springs. hope you work it out

·
Registered
nissan
105 Posts
im also tossing up on what dobinson springs to get, td42 ute, steel bar, winch, dual batts. not sure on wether to get the 50/100kg or 100/200kg ones??

1 - 20 of 22 Posts