Registered
Nissan
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and do they work as advertised?

Cost Effective Maintenance - Flushing Oil Concentrate

Cost Effective Maintenance - FTC Decarboniser

Cost Effective Maintenance - Cleanpower fuel Treatment

Or are these snake oil or do they cause more problems than they fix?

FWIW: my 1994 TD4.2 runs fine, blows no smoke, makes reasonable power, does not run hot, uses some oil sometimes (it will go months without using a drop of oil and then decide to use some for no particular reason.)

I really really really want to extend the life of my motor for as long as possible.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Run a PROPER heavy duty diesel oil, change them out at the correct time and the expensive engine treatments become just another waste of money. Dello 400 and delvac are just 2 of the available offerings you cannot go wrong using. Not many of the common diesel oils sold at super cheap etc are good oils if we are talking at this level.

Fuel treatment..... well use whichever you want even the stuff from supercheap will be fine.
interestingly buy a bottle of chemtec diesel power (I think, it been a while now, anyway blue bottle) read the active ingredient then google this, you will find it's a very commonly used automotive engine oil detergent used for decades........MMmm wonder what the main ingredient in every engine flush must be...hint hint :)

I use this every 2nd or 3rd time as a flush...why pay for panadol packaged in gold and sold like it when plain brand is the identical substance.

cheers

·
Registered
nissan
675 Posts
Haven't used the products you listed mate, but from research I have done, using a flushing oil should be a last resort. Using a cheap oil as FNQ suggests, as a flush, is a good idea.

Hope you can get decent engine oil there. 5k changes with good filters is the go.

I use chemteck in the fuel every 3 (LR) tanks to guard against algae, good old 2 stroke does everything else, (including decarbonizing)

Some reading here:

Car Bibles : The Engine Oil Bible

·
Safari Hoarder
nissan
4,791 Posts
Don't use snake oils....if you want to flush your engine use a lighter weight oil for a few kms then dump it. Quality diesel oil, regular changes and proper maintenance are the most important engine savers...and done rev a cold engine.....

·
Registered
nissan
1,887 Posts
Yeah I used the engine flush a few months ago 350,000km diesel GQ my neighbour was with me as a witness to see if it worked as well I only put a measured 9lts of cheap oil in it just to allow for the extra that is suppose to be stuck to the motor instead of running it on high idle for 20min I went for a casual drive then dropped the oil out I got a measured 11lts out thats 2lts more than we put in.I use the fuel additive now and it blows less smoke and has a bit more power also tried the fuel additive in my wifes 2008 Barina 25,000km on the clock and it deffinately gave it a power increase I say it works.

·
Registered
Nissan
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got it, everyone. Much appreciated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts