Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GRX 2003
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, I have a 03 patrol with ZD30, and dealer says that my intercooler leak is causing some oil leak....is that possible?

·
Grenade Master
GU4 05
2,613 Posts
hi all, I have a 03 patrol with ZD30, and dealer says that my intercooler leak is causing some oil leak....is that possible?
Nope, there shouldn't be any oil in the intercooler, and if it is, it comes from a crankase breather hose or from a leaking seals in the turbo. Intercooler air leak causes just boost pressure to drop, so if anything leaking intercooler might contribute to reduced power output, black smoke etc.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Yes ther will be oil in the intercooler unless you have installed a provent or some other form of catch can. If you have a catch can fitted and you are still getting oil in the intercooler either the catch can is full or not working properly or you have a seal problem with the turbo. Oil leaking from the intercooler is a result of a chafing hole or more commonly a problem with the end tank seals. If you want to fix the problem permanently fit a provent and replace the intercooler with a cross country cooler or equal quality cooler.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Remove intercooler and clean out with meth spirits. You'll then find any leaks and also clean out the oil residue. I had what appeared to be oil around mine but no leak. Was just dirty.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GRX 2003
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh well, I'm not sure how much oil goes into the intercooler...but oil shouldn't be leaking when engine is stoped, or it does?

·
Registered
226 Posts
My cooler leaked enough oil to make it look like the engine had sprung a leak somewhere. Doesn't take much oil to make a mess.

Try cleaning the cooler as others have mentioned, and clean the engine down and see how you go. If it's the original cooler, there's a good chance it'll be leaking by now.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
oh well, I'm not sure how much oil goes into the intercooler...but oil shouldn't be leaking when engine is stoped, or it does?

Anthony, the amount of oil going through the intercooler could be as much as 100mls every couple of thousand Ks or as little as a teaspoon full, but that oil will drip all over the top of the motor and run everywhere. You need a new intercooler and a catch can!!! And yes it will continue to leak when the engine is stopped.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts