Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 3ltr crd Patrol with over 600k and have an intermittent 1409 error - no Daws, but egr blocked. I believe there was an egr control solenoid prior June 2004, but since then, this was replaced with the more complex egr volume control valve. My question relates to limp mode - is this achieved by purely a reducing fuel, or does it include retarding the timing?

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,371 Posts
As far as I know it only effects fueling. Can't see a point in changing injection timing.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that. I'm trying to understand the process. When receiving the 1409 error code, it goes into limp mode, but when cleared, I can avoid it returning by keeping the revs down for a minute or so in 3rd gear and then gradually increase the speed working up to 5th gear. It stays away for long periods before returning. I'm still looking for the cause of the fault. Thanks again for your input.

·
Premium Member
25,371 Posts
Error 1409 is a fault in the EGR Vacuum regulator circuit. Either voltage in or out will be too hogh or low. Check and clean connectors first. Check wiring harness for damage. Odds are you have a faulty solinoid.

·
Premium Member
25,371 Posts
There us something you can easily do to disable EGR and therefore quite possibility not have that issue anymore. At the MAF. Pull back the plastic sleeve on the harness and expose the pink wire. Cut wire and solder in a 6.2k ohm resistor. Use heatshrink to seal the joints and slide plastic sleeve back over the wires. Takes 5 min and costs around 48c to do. This mod tricks the ECU into thinking the air temp isn't suitable for EGR to operate.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Roger that - I working my way through all the cables and connectors - the old beast has served me well, so this glitch should only be temporary...... I hope!

·
Registered
nissan
8 Posts
There us something you can easily do to disable EGR and therefore quite possibility not have that issue anymore. At the MAF. Pull back the plastic sleeve on the harness and expose the pink wire. Cut wire and solder in a 6.2k ohm resistor. Use heatshrink to seal the joints and slide plastic sleeve back over the wires. Takes 5 min and costs around 48c to do. This mod tricks the ECU into thinking the air temp isn't suitable for EGR to operate.

What else does the resister trick the ECU with - meaning are there any more process affected ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I installed the resistor, but never got a handle on whether it worked because the problem was intermittent, but appeared to give me some trouble-free mothering in the short term. I've now grabbed a later model with only 100,000km on the clock and gave the old one to the Grandson. He's doing a diesel mechanic apprenticeship, so getting the small list of problems corrected, it will be a great learning curve.

·
Registered
nissan
8 Posts
What else does the resister trick the ECU with - meaning are there any more process affected ?
OK, from what I could research the resistor on the pink wire alters the voltage that is sent from the Air Temp sensor to the ECU. Apart from the ECU then operating the EGR valve a lot less, it also affects fueling and other parameters within the ECU. Me thinks it's too much of a reliability gamble to do this mod. I would not do it.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts