Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

Does size matter?

2K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  T0nka 
#1 ·
Is it possible to run 35's at the rear and 33's at the front, I'm not keen on a lift however i cant fit 35's under the front guard (apparently). Don't see any problems getting 35's under the back.

has any one ever done this?

#3 ·
Not recommended in the gregorys. Because when your in "4h" or "4l" they will spin at different speeds. Possible yes, recommended no.

#7 ·
ROFL... I don't think Truckster likes the idea... :p:p:p

You could put a set of 175/70/12 on the front and make it look like Herman Munsters truck... however within about 100 metres of selecting 4WD you would solve the question of whats the weakest link out of Transfer Case, Drive Shaft, Diff, Axles or CV joints.

Would make a good Utube Vid

#8 ·
I know ya shouldn't but just a question. How would it effect running gear? Wouldn't the smaller tyres just revolve faster? Only if you had massive traction would it cause running gear to fail?

I'm not a car nut, just trying out the why's of it all.

#10 ·
Wouldn't the smaller tyres just revolve faster?
That is exactly what will happen, and with the rear and front outputs from the transfer case being the same speed will overload the transfer case and blow it. I have replaced 3 transfer cases on a triton, and 2 bravos from running only minor tyre diameter differences (15mm I think).

#11 ·
Ah cool, so new tyres an balding tyres could put more strain on the transfer case an possible make it go pop.

Very interesting. Wasn't personally planning on running 2 different sizes but seems to cause a pretty serious problem if you did.

#12 ·
tyres

plus you don't want to end up looking like a independant front end 100 series landcruiser nose down bum up style.......

#14 ·
yea but why go to all the trouble of changing diff ratios and stuffing around when you could spend that money and lower it..... (if you dont want to lift it) would look way better and you wont ever need to worry about blowing your transfer case cause you wouldnt be able to drive anywere to get stuck....!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.