Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed the oil and filters in my TD42 this morning and had to use after market filters ( Purolator L30001) because the Nissan dealer did not have any in stock. After changing the oil and filters, I started the engine and it ran for approx. nine seconds with the oil light on and then it shut down. I restarted it again and it ran for two seconds and the oil light went off and everything seems fine. I stopped it, topped up the oil level and started it again and it ran perfectly!

So my question, does the TD42 have a low oil pressure cut off switch? The vehicle is a 1993 Y60 SGLD.

·
Registered
nissan
275 Posts
I dont know about an oil light, mine has never come on after an oil/filter change. Should I be worried.

·
Registered
nissan
317 Posts
Ah so the inline fuel pump TD42's have a edic system similar to the old 2H yota motors do they ???? As far as how long to fill filters... My light stays on for about 3 secs max on fresh filters...... To test light see if it comes on with key "on" or start engine with the sender wire unplugged.....

·
Registered
nissan patrol
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As far as how long to fill filters... My light stays on for about 3 secs max on fresh filters...... QUOTE]

My question was after you install new filters, how long will it take for them to fill up the first time?

·
Registered
98 Posts
As far as how long to fill filters... My light stays on for about 3 secs max on fresh filters...... QUOTE]

My question was after you install new filters, how long will it take for them to fill up the first time?
Is that not what Giddyyarp was saying 3 seconds?

Being after market filters they may take longer to fill due to size and maybe flow rates

And if you are that worried you can try putting some oil into the filters before installing them
I know that can be awkward as they are on their side but they will still hold some oil in them

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hi Carib,

I have the same setup as you and the same thing happen to me every time I change the oil. I don't know how long it takes the oil filters to be filled out, but it takes some seconds, no like 3, it's more time.

Then the engine suddenly shuts it self. The first time I was worried about it, but not any more, I never had any issue with it.

If i'm wrong please correct me, but I think that's a normal thing in this inline TD42 setup.

Maybe Tractor can help us to clarify this !!!

Cheers
Marco

I changed the oil and filters in my TD42 this morning and had to use after market filters ( Purolator L30001) because the Nissan dealer did not have any in stock. After changing the oil and filters, I started the engine and it ran for approx. nine seconds with the oil light on and then it shut down. I restarted it again and it ran for two seconds and the oil light went off and everything seems fine. I stopped it, topped up the oil level and started it again and it ran perfectly!

So my question, does the TD42 have a low oil pressure cut off switch? The vehicle is a 1993 Y60 SGLD.

·
Registered
nissan
258 Posts
dunno much bout the inline pumps on td42's but on cummins engines they have a oil feed from engine oil supply if the oil pressure is too low it would have a shutdown switch to stop the pump failing inside because it is not getting fed oil that it uses for lubrication in the pump

cheers mitch

·
Learned the hard way - RD28t out TD42 in
4,415 Posts
Not tested it, but only the in-line IP would have that feature. Numerous posts by SD33 (In-line pump set-ups) users having that problem after oil changes, so I guess it could be related. The main reason for the Injection Pump Controller to sense the oil pressure switch is to move the pump control motor from the start to run position, I guess it could also move it to stop should the oil pressure switch close (no oil pressure) ? Need to have a play some day !

Maybe the OP could check it out - just watch the IP control lever - see if it moves over to stop after the motor starts and oil pressure doesn't build for a while ?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not tested it, but only the in-line IP would have that feature. Numerous posts by SD33 (In-line pump set-ups) users having that problem after oil changes, so I guess it could be related. The main reason for the Injection Pump Controller to sense the oil pressure switch is to move the pump control motor from the start to run position, I guess it could also move it to stop should the oil pressure switch close (no oil pressure) ? Need to have a play some day !

Maybe the OP could check it out - just watch the IP control lever - see if it moves over to stop after the motor starts and oil pressure doesn't build for a while ?
My concern is can it burn the main or con-rod bearings while it is running for 11 seconds with no oil pressure? My engine idles at 600 rpm, so it means that the crankshaft will rotate 110 times before the oil pressure builds up!

·
Registered
nissan
317 Posts
Your idle is too low...... It needs to be 700 rpm +50rpm..... 3 secs max is all mine takes on fresh filters to fill up and turn the light off.......\

Boundary lubrication... (Whats left from the last time the engine ran) will be enough for a few seconds... Your sender might be duffed as well causing the light to stay on longer.....

If there wasnt enough oil there you would have seized the engine very quickly when you started it...... Tom is spot on the rotary pumps will not shut down the engine on low oil pressure...

·
Registered
nissan patrol
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Your idle is too low...... It needs to be 700 rpm +50rpm..... 3 secs max is all mine takes on fresh filters to fill up and turn the light off.......\

I will have to fix the idle speed. When I start up in the morning the oil light normally takes 4 seconds to go off! So do I have a defective oil pump?

·
4,415 Posts
6 - 7 secs is normal for the TD42 to build oil pressure after a overnight stop, so stop worrying ! Up the idle speed a touch and it'll build pressure quicker.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
6 - 7 secs is normal for the TD42 to build oil pressure after a overnight stop, so stop worrying ! Up the idle speed a touch and it'll build pressure quicker.
Thank you kindly Sir! I guess some of these guys have been trying to scare me when they say that it takes 3 seconds to fill new filters.

I can't remember how to adjust the idle speed; I would have to check the manual. Most of my diesel experience over the past ten years has been with the ones where you climb into the intake manifold and inspect the rings through the ports, or you open the crankcase doors and measure the crankshaft deflection to find out if the main bearings are worn!

·
Registered
nissan
11,208 Posts
my inline pumped td42 takes ages after an oil change for the light to go out. and yes mine also stalls once. then its fine. after that even on overnight start oil light goes out almost instantly. using fleetguard filters.
i think the inline pumps being that they are lubed by oil rather than diesel its a fuel pump safety device more than anything. but its all perfectly normal

·
4,415 Posts
Filters do seem to have an effect on the time it takes the OP to build. Some say it's due to the anti-drain valves built into the filters, some are better than others (Fleetguard are good by all accounts). I have another theory that if the oil is thickish and the filters a touch too restrictive, then the bypass valves open and the OP light goes out straight away cause there's no filters to fill !

Idle speed and max revs on the In-line pump set-up are set by the limit stops on the throttle body - remove the air filter housing and all will be revealed.

CARIB - tell us ore about those big diesels you've worked one - I just love BIG diesels !

·
Registered
nissan patrol
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
CARIB - tell us ore about those big diesels you've worked one - I just love BIG diesels !
The big diesels are a lot easier to trouble shoot because it is possible to go inside and do an inspection!

This is what the rings of a 30MW 9 cylinder two stroke MAN B&W engine looks like from inside the intake manifold. This is a marine engine but the application is land based, it is used for power generation in one of the Caribbean Islands.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts