Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy.

I'm chasing all my rattles and also taking the opportunity to replace all the flogged out bushes. My panhards were toast!

The following videos are of the end of the arm that goes to the rear of the front diff. They move very easily.

Gu patrol loose arm 1: http://youtu.be/NrJYNHXA-3k

Patrol loose arm 2: http://youtu.be/TnbLV0PH9QQ

Are yours the same? Are these knackered?

If they are is it worth trying to replace the ends (it Does look like they come off) or is there something shinier that is a worthwhile upgrade?

Thanks in advance

Padded from my LG-D855 using Padatalk.

·
Registered
nissan
472 Posts
My track rod is the same, they roll around on the ball easier as they wear but the real test is to jack the wheel off the ground then hold it at 9 and 10 o clock positions and push/ pull back and forth while looking at the ball joint.
You will feel and see to any slop between the two parts.

Was going to replace it due to the bend in it, but ball joints are still good and previous owner must of had the wheel alignment done with it bent so havnt bothered yet.
Superior and Road runner make HD versions

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool I just jacked it up and there is no sideways movement in the joint so I guess it's ok.
I just had a wheel alignment with the new tyres so I guess they might have mentioned it if they were rooted(maybe)

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dronus, to check if the ball joints are worn grab slip joint/multigrips pliers (provided you have such big enough) and squeeze the joint in downwards against the arm. Or use a pry bar and pry downwards against it. Any movement over 1 mm is considered ball joint worn.

Cheers
Cool I'll give that a try now

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool. I can't get any up and down movement, but it twists backwards and forwards quite loosely as per the videos.
Is that ok?

·
Registered
nissan
472 Posts
Yes just normal wear.

Regarding the multi grip method.
Unless you know what type of tierod you have, the multigrip can actually make you think the tierod is bad

·
Grenade Master
GU4 05
2,613 Posts
Yes just normal wear.

Regarding the multi grip method.
Unless you know what type of tierod you have, the multigrip can actually make you think the tierod is bad
If I had the ball joints like that in my cars/trucks the first thing of order would be hammer and bar to condemn it where it belongs in the garbage bin. WTF! Never seen shyte like that before. I remember as an apprentice fiddling with adjustable ball joints (aka re-buildable) there would be internally threaded adjusting nut but POS like above makes me speechless. Is that from Ford T model or 1949 Austin?

Regards

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What do they have in them these days?

Would be interesting to learn .. Its all a bit of black magic to me..

·
Gone Fishing
NISSAN 1989 GQ PATROL
6,203 Posts
My old man had a bashed and cracked one , looked similar to this but not 100%

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
472 Posts
Being a sealed unit how would you know.
I cut one open about six years ago and found a spring loaded ball. Mind you it was on a falcon and not a patrol and after that i have always relied on the way i check by jacking one wheel off the ground to look for play in the tie rod and it been fine.
I have never seen a wheel alignment shop pull out a dial gauge to check ball joints even though your read about it in manuals and such.

Forgot to mention this ball joint did not have a grease fitting

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
With the steering unlocked jack one wheel at a time and grab the lifted wheel and try to turn it left to right as hard as you can. Look and feel for any free play in all the rod ends. Easier and better if you disconnect one end of the stg damper and an extra person to look and feel while one turns.
I think your rod ends are a little on the loose side

1 - 15 of 15 Posts