Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Y61=WIN
nissan
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gday

Getting mixed opinions on if it's OK to use diesel fuel additives, such as Chemtech Diesel power in CRD engines like the modern GUs

Q: What is the concern that people might have?

Q: Is there any clear data to support such a position?

Ta

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,331 Posts
Have herard the odd whisper, as you often do but nothing to show it would have any negative impact. To my knowledge all it does is add lubricity to the low sulpher fuels and act as a dispersent for small amounts of water and keep a lid on Algae growth.
Compatibility with seals seems to be OK.

·
Part of the furniture around here
nissan
19,131 Posts
Chemtech should be fine to use, it helps to disperse water and to prevent fungal growth in the diesel. I use it eevry so often, more so in winter when you're more likely to get condensation in the fuel tank.

Cheers

Ray

·
Registered
nissan
1,113 Posts
Ive always run it in my 02 MB Sprinter van (413CDI) ,these things are the most sensitive CRD when it comes to bad fuel, i do only fill up from big "truck" servos, but mine has a 180L tank so the fuel can sit for a while, never had any issues yet.

·
Registered
nissan patrol Gu6
1,276 Posts
I used it in every tank full of diesel for 127000kms in me old 2008 CRD wagon (god bless her, may she rest in peace). 1ml for every litre. I honestly do not think I missed adding it to one tank. I swear by it.

·
Y61=WIN
nissan
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys

So I caught up with Andrew Leimroth from Berrima Diesel at the 4wd show today. Asked him about it, and he said:

* Useful as a biocide
* He's done A / B comparisons of injectors that never ran so called injection cleaner products like diesel power and those that ran it every time, and he said he found no difference in their state.

He sighted no concerns about using it in CRD engines for microbe control

·
Registered
nissan
10,919 Posts
thats the main reason i ran it was to rid of diesel algae. it also adds lubrication to the injection pump which is a good thing due to low sulpher diesel. this is what used to lubricate the pumps. diesel these days has basically no lubrication properties compared to old stuff.
of another note the best thing you can do to help injectors and also pump life is a little 5micron cav filter and change it every 5k. this gets rid off all the real small stuff that does the damage over time.

·
Y61=WIN
nissan
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ben I dont believe that an on filters in CRD engines is a good idea. Flow restriction messes with the injection pump. I asked Cooma diesel about this, and they advised me not to do it. Also I understand the CRD engines run lower micron filters than 5 micron. I will be doing a water watch, but that does not provide any restriction and is not a filter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,About CRD engines and injector cleaners I use RISLONE DIESEL FUEL SYSTEM TREATMENT in every second tank,and I've been using it now for two yrs without any problems...I do around 15000 kms a yr..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts