Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

Door plastic sheet under door trim, what is it stuck with?

11K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  geordie4x4 
#1 ·
I have just had my rear barn doors repaired after a minor rear-ending by a truck.
http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/general-discussion-18/just-been-rearended-mazda-truck-169962/

It has taken four months to get repaired as I was waiting and waiting and waiting on a new Kaymar rear bar.

I have a new big barn door and the other door re-painted. But the panel beater just stuck the old plastic sheet inner back under the door trim, it is torn and clearly needing replacing to keep dust and moisture out. I have some plastic sheet, the panel beater suggested mastic but that melts in the heat and is sticky crap. He said they often just use spray glue contact adhesive.

So a question to the paint and interior trim Gurus.

What is that sticky black stuff used to hold the door plastic sheet under the door trim panels.

The stuff is not silicone or Sika sealer as it does not cure but it stays tacky, it can be peeled off and re stuck. It stays stretchy, it never seems to harden or dry, it can be peeled off and does not leave a sticky black crappy mess like mastic.

So who knows what it is and where to get it.

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks guys, yes I am thinking about other alternatives but things like the double sided tape and bitumen rubber based mastic, or Sika all stick far too well and are hard to remove when I want to get back in the door to do wiring or other stuff.

I really want to find what the oroginal stuff is and if it is available.

#5 ·
Just go to Officeworks or some such place and buy a roll of adhesive contact.
Blanket cover the whole door space and then just cut out the bits that you need to. And the best bit is you just have to peel it all off if you need to access inside the door sometime and just replace it all again.
Did this to mine about 5 years ago ...works a treat...and is waterproof and dustproof as well.

HTH.

Cheers Keith

#8 ·
Yes there was ...and no it doesn't matter as the contact is single use only. It peels off pretty easy...but as long as dust doesn't get past it and then past door trims I was bloody happy....as the missus and I are both asthmatics....and really need a dustproof truck..
..Which I have pretty well achieved with this contact ...and adjusting doors and keeping door seals and their mating surfaces clean.....along with proper use of A/C etc

Cheers Keith

#7 ·
OK for others who are looking at the same thing, after a bit of searching on other car rstoration forums I have come up with this stuff as the best options for the sealer. 3M 08610

4130 Products - Vapor barrior replacement

It was called Dum-Dum tape by a panel beater I spoke to and it is a butyl rubber window glass adhesive tape or ribbon that can be stretched to make it thinner for door trim vapour barrier plastic. Not as cheap as I thought it would be, but a roll might do all the panels in the whole car.

Window Weld Round Ribbon Sealer 08610 1 4" X 15' KIT 3M 8610 Brand NEW | eBay

Dumdum Butyl Tape 1 4 Inch 6 5mm Round Sealer Waterproof Sealant 4 5M Roll | eBay

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.