Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just been getting a couple of quotes for detroit lockers and lock right front auto lockers. There is only $400 difference in price between them.

will there be a difference in installation costs and is there really $400 difference in quality.

I'm a keen believer in doing stuff right the first time so i'm leaning towards the detroit unless the installation costs are huge.

Cheers
Hayden

·
Registered
Nissan
527 Posts
I just had an E-Locker installed $1900 in the front... i prefer to switch the front on/off as required & no need to change driving style/techniques.

i think the Detroit Auto was about $1700 fitted & in the rear would be great...

·
Registered
nissan
14 Posts
I have a detroit 'no-spin' locker in the front diff.
Good unit, works well and no clunky engage/disengage noise.

It was installed at about 10,000 kms and now on 167,000 kms and so far no problems.
No real issue with loss of steering, only on full lock or near full lock turns as sometimes it may not
disengage. Occasionally, on tight turns (where there is reasonable traction) I will just shift back into 2WD to avoid too much bind up.
A selectable locker would be better in that instance.
But I guess if you've got dual air-lockers and your compressor fails or there is an electrical problem (admittedly rare event), then both you're lockers are out of action.

I like the idea of having the front locker a solid-state device and have a E or Air locker in the rear - then the two systems (front & rear) are separate and not sharing common points of potential failure.

·
Registered
nissan
777 Posts
I paid 480 for my auto locker to be installed, pretty much a ball park figure and I believe it would be the same for a detroit. Thats drive in, out

The main differences are the detroit replaces the carrier also, so it should be less likely to break in the long run

·
Registered
Nissan
1,260 Posts
Would install an AussieLocker rather than a LockRight-they're stronger. The additional cost of a Detroit is not warranted. Auto lockers must have been invented for Patrols-they are just perfect LOL. Wouldn't swap mine for quids!

·
Registered
nissan
625 Posts
A Detroit is stronger because it replaces the whole carrier rather than just the spider gears. Installation costs should be similar. I went for a Lockright as I prefer to choose the easier track/line to drive and I only run 33" tyres. If your into lifting front wheels and giving it plenty of right foot then go the Detroit.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I ran a lokka front and rear of my old cruiser without one bit of trouble, since them at least three of mates run them in the front of there patrols and love them for the money. From memory it's around $500 for fitting the lokka.
Hope that helps cheers Russell

·
Registered
nissan
777 Posts
I would of went lokka but didnt want to wait 4 months and pay an extra $160 for what is an identical product.

Nothing is bullet proof and im sure plenty of each brand has failed. You seriously know that the lokka is stronger, better design/better materials? Not having a dig, if thats the case I will recommend them from now on

Yep they are bloody awesome !

·
Registered
Nissan
1,260 Posts
I would of went lokka but didnt want to wait 4 months and pay an extra $160 for what is an identical product.

Nothing is bullet proof and im sure plenty of each brand has failed. You seriously know that the lokka is stronger, better design/better materials? Not having a dig, if thats the case I will recommend them from now on

Yep they are bloody awesome !
Yes,"Peterson's 4WD & Offroad" mag did a test on all the auto. lockers last year in the US, and the AussieLocker came out tops . They tested them to dsestruction.

·
Registered
nissan
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Slowzuki
Where did you get your Aussielocker from and what part number if you can recall.

Cheers for everyones input. I might go for the cheaper option as it is only a touring vehicle soon to have 33" tyres

·
Registered
Nissan
1,260 Posts
Slowzuki
Where did you get your Aussielocker from and what part number if you can recall.

Cheers for everyones input. I might go for the cheaper option as it is only a touring vehicle soon to have 33" tyres
Unit came from 4wdsystems in S.A. Searched through my documentation and have everything but the model no. Sorry.

·
Registered
nissan
777 Posts
Top traction 4x4 (forum vendor) has a few in, have bought 3 from him myself (me and mates) so give him a buzz, will have a lockright in your hands by next weekend

1 - 15 of 15 Posts