Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.

Looking at double din units today as I want to upgrade and add a reverse camera. So I started looking at eBay for a unit but got so confused with all the different options etc!

Anyone have any thoughts/opinions/experiences with any of them?

I dont want to jump in and buy one and find out its a dunger.

Cheers

·
Registered
nissan
98 Posts
Hey Paul,
Really depends on your budget mate. I made a post the other day about these android units.

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/diy-...ies-40/diy-tablets-patrols-78717/index10.html

they're not as polished as what you'd get with a kenwood or clarion, but the pricetag is great and the features are awesome.

If you let me know what you're after and your budget, I'll point you in the right direction.

all double dins these days have a reverse camera input so thats no drama.
Cheers

·
Registered
nissan
340 Posts
Look at dig options mate. That's what I will be getting soon. Aussie supplier with great reputation for after sales support. Platinum unit for patrol is less then $500. Have a look for reviews on them, quite a few around on various forums.

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts
They're all crap. The sound quality of the eBay units is terrible. The user interface of the major brands are legacy of the pre iPhone era with windows 95 style menus. iPod integration is flakey across the board. The pick of the litter is the pioneer AVH. It's still not perfect but head and shoulders above everything else.

·
Registered
nissan
375 Posts
Nothing wrong with my ebay unit regarding sound or ipod playback. However, the screen is crap. The detachable tablet makes a loose connection every now and again causing it to go purple. The bluetooth tends to skip, like a CD on a bumpy road. CD/DVD playback is fine. And overall the device is just slow.

·
Registered
nissan
98 Posts
I don't have any of those issues with my Android. I wouldn't touch the AVH. Pioneer put their grubby mits on everything and ur stuck stuck their customisation. Id rather have the freedom to instsll what I want and set it up how I like it. Sound quality is awesome.

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts
You tried them out timo?

Yes tried and returned three of them at different price points. Even the expensive ones sound like poo compared to the most basic MOSFET head unit. Maybe with stock speakers you can't tell the difference but with aftermarket speakers it's chalk and cheese.

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts
I don't have any of those issues with my Android. I wouldn't touch the AVH. Pioneer put their grubby mits on everything and ur stuck stuck their customisation. Id rather have the freedom to instsll what I want and set it up how I like it. Sound quality is awesome.

The DSP and EQ in the pioneer craps on anything with android. And the pioneer interface is miles ahead in terms of searching the iPod and navigating playlists. The menus are the most responsive of the major brands, and the themes are the most configurable. Having said that it's a long way short of where we should be in 2014.

AVIC is shyt...maybe that's what your thinking of.

·
Registered
nissan
98 Posts
Yes tried and returned three of them at different price points. Even the expensive ones sound like poo compared to the most basic MOSFET head unit. Maybe with stock speakers you can't tell the difference but with aftermarket speakers it's chalk and cheese.
Fair enough mate.
I guess its different for everyone. I run some mid range splits, amp and a sub, nothing over the top, just your usual clarion/kicker stuff. And while back in my sports car days, I used to love cranking it up and cruising chapel st to show all the chicks how fully sick I was, I don't really crank it anymore, just enjoy the music with the good components. I dont really look for a crystal clear audio quality in my car, my home theatre system is a whole different cattle of fish, but the car is meh..good enough.

A few years ago i installed an "Xtrons" unit into my navara. the thing was rubbish. It didn't even remember what the last track was. With a bit of tweaking, the stock android units are awesome in my opinion. So you do have to be careful what you buy.

The dig audio stuff is pretty much a Chinese unit, rebadged/made to spec for him, you do get the benefit of having a local place to get a refund/return/warranty though. Something you wont really get from the ebay sellers.

You can easily spend up to $1000 on a head unit, so again, it comes down to price, and your expectations (like everything!)

Cheers

·
Registered
nissan
98 Posts
The DSP and EQ in the pioneer craps on anything with android. And the pioneer interface is miles ahead in terms of searching the iPod and navigating playlists. The menus are the most responsive of the major brands, and the themes are the most configurable. Having said that it's a long way short of where we should be in 2014.

AVIC is shyt...maybe that's what your thinking of.
I agree. Avic is rubbish.
Maybe the stock android is not that good, but with a new rom and some tweaks, its as good as anything. You cannot compare the apps on these things to the apps that u get with the big name stuff.
And yeah, its not as polished, so response times are not millisecond quick, but they are really good. I'm also a developer, so I have no trouble tweaking code to get more grunt out of it. I like having that option, but its not for everyone. Most of the units' i've installed for mates and installed new roms on them, they're all happy with. No one's really complained at all about anything.

·
Registered
nissan
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for your input guys. Really appreciate it. I don't own any Apple products so that is not an issue. I have standard speakers too so sound quality is not top of my list either. Main things for me? Good screen resolution (rear view camera). Android so I can change its ROM and have ability to download apps etc. Connectivity (maybe a rear screen for my daughter) and Bluetooth. Thats about it really. Oh, and GPS. I was looking at this:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=281394038823&alt=web

Thoughts?

·
Registered
nissan
98 Posts
That's the exact unit u should get but you're getting ripped. You can get that delivered via EMS for 330.
Look up units from seller pimpkin_cool there's a huge xda thread on how to mod these.
Give us a yell if ya need a hand.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts