Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife recently purchased a HTC Wildfire to use on her Telstra Pre Paid and wants to download free games from the android market place but on the prepaid plan download data is billed at $2 per mb

Before we knew this we downloaded Angry Birds Game on to the phone and it deducted around $25 from her pre paid account before we realised what the download costs were

We went to Macca's today to see if we could use the free Wifi (50mb limit) to download it for free but although we could browse the web at no cost we could not download any games from market place

We asked one of the Macca's staff and she said she thought the apps store would not let you do this

Cany anybody offer any advice

Thanks in advance

Regards Don

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Home is a caravan with a laptop & a Telstra wireless broadband dongle whizza

The HTC has a cable that will connect it to the usb on the laptop (haven't done this yet)
How exactly can i set up a home wireless broadband or can i cable the HTC to the laptop & download through the laptop on our telstra broadband account

Any help would be appreciated as i dont know much about this kind of stuff

Regards Don

·
Grenade Master
GU4 05
2,613 Posts

The HTC has a cable that will connect it to the usb on the laptop (haven't done this yet)
How exactly can i set up a home wireless broadband or can i cable the HTC to the laptop & download through the laptop on our telstra broadband account

Regards Don
Now depends on OS (operating system) but you should be able to "share" your internet connection with the HTC via the laptop wifi or even easier you should be able to use your laptop alone to download the apps and than transfer to the HTC via USB cable. Another option is to find a free WIFI hotspot which lets you download the stuff. Obviously the McDonalds's isn't one of them. Cheers

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
What sort of places would be 'free wifi hot spots' ? I'm very much in the same boat as Don regarding my knowledge level. Can you use these free hot spots without other people accessing your laptop or phone?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
is the phone locked to telstra???? if not go get a 3 sim starter pack. there pre paid caps come with download limits, i think a $49 cap has $300 worth of calls,150mb of data and i think its like $5 to add a extra 150mb to your limit. i think the $ per mb is pretty good as well

·
85kw of Brute Strength
nissan patrol
829 Posts
OILRIG-its probably on telstra because they probably wanna have some service i spose,

Don- theres some pretty good prepaid options , not sure which recharge you have though

Offers – Telstra Pre-Paid - Telstra

i have an iphone and like 3gbs of data so i not to sure what u need to do

·
Registered
731 Posts

Regards Don
I've got an HTC HD2 and the instructions are pretty woeful, but I'm flat out programming my VCR! You can connect yours to your laptop by downloading "HTC Sync" onto the laptop. This will allow your phone to talk to your laptop. You can then download any app onto your computer using your standard internet connection. You use HTC Sync to transfer the .cab file (format the app comes in) to your phone. Once the file is on the phone you just tap it and it will install.

You can download HTC Sync from here:

Application - HTC Sync 3.0 for HTC Desire HD

The links says HTC Desire, but it also covers the Wildfire

·
Grenade Master
GU4 05
2,613 Posts
What sort of places would be 'free wifi hot spots' ? I'm very much in the same boat as Don regarding my knowledge level. Can you use these free hot spots without other people accessing your laptop or phone?

Thanks
Lots of municipal/council libraries have them, some coffee/bistros shops etc.
Other people shouldn't be able to access your laptop/phone as generally WIFI APs (access points)are setup operating under so called "protected mode" which means that things like "file sharing" ain't going to work unless the feature has been turned off, normally not for public/open networks. It is also trivial from an OS point to block any incoming requests so only outgoing packets are allowed. Most personal software firewalls act in that fashion by default including ones coming builtin with MS® Windows. Cheers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts