Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

Dreaming of "The Cape"

2K views 29 replies 16 participants last post by  Heddgehog 
#1 ·
I have a trip planned for Cape York in July this year. All preparations are going well. The only problem is I WANNA GO NOWWWWWWW WHAAAAAAA!!:sad::sad::sad:

#13 ·
I haven't been up there for a while Ftroop ( love the name) but apart from the usual stuff, like a good service on the 4by first and some basic spares I recon just good tyres (2 spares ) and a snorkel. Lots of creek crossings up there. I guess it depends on how hard you want to go as to what suspension mod's you want to do.

#15 ·
Good tyres are the key. A snorkel is nice, but doesn't a submarine make :). I've never blown a shock on the Cape or anywhere other than the Canning stock route. Could be the Konis, could be the sensible driving. 20 psi would be a bit too low for the PDR for most 4WD's and tyres. 20% reduction from correct on-road pressure would be nearer the mark for the worst bits.

#21 ·
Well I was just chatting to the wife and casually mentioned how good it would be to drive over from WA and up the east coast. I got a positive response as she wanted to go to the Gold Coast for a week in June anyway. I was a bit shocked, but held it back and said how about I drive over and meet you in SA (visit family) then go up from there. I guess that means it is a go go go to spend some money on the new tyres (tomorrow).

So dave have you got room on the July tag along?

#18 ·
may is cutting it a bit early for doing the cape.

i did it 3 years ago in my d22 navara. good shocks and tyres are a must. a snorkle is well worth it, we had water over the bonnet a couple of times doing the telegraph track.

i took a tonne of spares i didn't need but im glad i had them.

#22 ·
Can anybody tell me how full Lakefield National Park gets in July. It says to book early for the July holidays, but the QLD gov. still says the park is closed, so you cant book.

#24 ·
from what i heard it is too wet in lakefield so they have kept it closed...but that might have changed..

Forgot to mention be careful of the crocs they are out and about at the moment as the water holes and swamp dry up they are moving back in to the creeks and rivers.. seen a few about lately just driving too work.

Sounds like an awesome trip and still might pop over to the track to have a looksie, what channel uhf you guys usually run on and roughly when will you be getting up about say chilly beach and north??? might pop out for a few beers only abuot 3 hrs drive to chilly beach from here...if your going that way??

#25 ·
I recon we will be in that area about the 7th or 8th July. If Lakefield is still closed we might get over to Weipa instead.
Will stick on ch40 mostly. Otherwise,what places do you recommend?

#27 ·
I recon we will be in that area about the 7th or 8th July. If Lakefield is still closed we might get over to Weipa instead.
Will stick on ch40 mostly. Otherwise,what places do you recommend?

Chilli beach on the east coast,

north of weipa towards mapoon is pennefather beach (about 60 km of beach) about 1.5 to 2 hrs from weipa.

you can get out to billies lagoon (just south of weipa before myall creek bridge off to the right)/or stones crossing (north of weipa heading towards mapoon on the right) at the moment

heaps of places but i would have to kill you after i told you...hehe haha

the archer camping ground is nice but the river is better..:p

#28 ·
Check link, my mate just got back today from this trip to cape york.
Overlander 4WD :: View topic - Big Reds Cape York Misers Challenge report
that pajero is a great example of way tooo fast on the track, i cannot think of a place where you can cause soooo much damage for travelling to the conditions unless you rolled into it on one of the creek crossings.....far out and they where proud of the fact...lucky i didn't have to go up there and get the bodies out...:mad::mad::mad:

good pickies and write though..sorry forgot to add that

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.