Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
The Prodigal Child Has Returned
nissan
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sick and tired of rooting around in the shed looking for a sharp drill bit, or a drill bit that's the right size etc etc . Makes for a painful day in the shed.

So I'm looking for a set of drill bits, But there are so many different types it's a joke. I'm looking on ebay at different sets " Sutton " good brand, but then these Viper , Bright finish , Blue finish, Cobalt, Frost , Silver bullet. I'm sure theirs more, This is only Sutton then there are other brands.

I just want some HSS drill bits, can any one help Decipher the mumbo jumbo. I just want a good set that won't break the bank, and do their job.

·
Registered
nissan
4,831 Posts
Sutton or P&N 3rd choice Brobo?? (spelling)

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,348 Posts
Yeh Sutton/P&N (same company now)

The quality is top notch and they're Aussie. What are you drilling?

·
Registered
nissan/swb gq
843 Posts
I'm not 100 % sure what all the other Jargan means either , I know some are shiny silver and some have that gold finished to them , it may be that some of the differences are just the way the cutting edges are finished ( Leading / cutting angle ) .
Personally I just use what ever I lay my hand's on , any good quality bit will work , but if you dont already know how to sharpen them it's well worth either buying one of those bit sharpeners or just do it on a bench Grinder / linisher , it will make them last years buy just touching them up occasionally ( unless to snap or loose them .

I've had the same 2 sets of metric and imperial for years and just sharpen them and change the cutting angle to suit the material I'm drilling , and that's anything from wood , steel , s/s and most thing's in between .

hopefully a machinist will chimp in an educate up all on the exact terminology or what you listed in your original post .

·
nissan
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm ok at sharpening, not great but I'm getting better, I just want a full set of good drill bits So I can do a bit of fabricating in the shed. It really drives me nuts.

·
Registered
9,574 Posts
Unfortunately there is no one drill bit for all jobs.
You do need to consider the material hardness you plan to drill (alloy, steel hardened or friggin tough stainless steel) and the type of drill you are using (i.e. a hand held electric or bench press drill).
Sutton are good for a reasonable price.

Cobalt bitts are really designed for stainless steel and really bloody expensive.

Viper bitts are a special shape for fast cutting and are good for most metals but will still blunt on stainless.

Don't bother with cheap ebay sets of titanium coated bitts (the gold colour ones) they are often just crap with a gold colour coating.

EDIT: I just spotted shanfab's reply and have to agree that a decent sharpener is invaluable. I have a wet stone wheel on my bench grinder and an adjustable jig to hold the drill bit at the angle I want.

But you really need the experience to determine what angle to sharpen at for the material. I really don't have a propper background in this but go with a slightly sharper angle for softer material and les angle for hard material.

·
Registered
nissan
1,339 Posts
If you feel like splashing out, I've read heaps of good things about getting a Drill Doctor, sounds like a good quality bit sharpener.
At the mo' I'm happily getting better at sharpening my blunts/broken bits. Have been using the Viper set with not too many issues.

·
Registered
nissan
1,671 Posts
I have a set of Sutton Viper bits and they are fantastic. I don't use them on stainless but on mild steel, aluminium and cast steel they are fantastic. Best thing you can do for a drill bit is use the right drill speed and don't let the bit get too hot. Too hot means a blunt drill real quick!

·
nissan
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Starting to get some where that's the sort of info I'm after, thanks Geordie.

By the way I was never going to buy the cheap sets, I have had the honour or id that dis honour of using some of those bits. Would not drill through warm butter.

Good stuff guys , Yeah I always do a pilot hole and step it up And I use a bit of crc or oil or cutting fluid and just pick a nice steady speed that cuts well

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,708 Posts
Frost, one set never again, I chew threw them, rough sparkies;) and I dont sharpen these days, easier to buy new at the wholesaler....but Sutton I've found the best so far

·
Registered
9,574 Posts
oh , and if drilling steel , especially hardened or stainless , make sure you use a lubricant / Cutting fluid it make life Soooo much easier and you dont burn out drill bit's as easily ( especially if drilling stainless )

something like this .

http://img-asia.electrocomponents.com/largeimages/R0691331-02.jpg
Ah yes second that.

I even found that when you run out of cutting fluid, a good big blob of spitt works well to cool the bit and lubricate. But clearly then you need adequate beer to keep the spit supply up. Stop for regular brakes to let the bit cool (take swig).

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
I use Dormer drill bits. very happy with the quality but the price hurts.

·
Registered
nissan gq
2,214 Posts
There are many good quality bits around as mentioned,Sutton,P&N,Dormer etc,avoid

the ebay china chit,use a cutting lube,Rocol is a good one,and drill at a speed to suit the

material/drill size,the GLF speed will just burn or the chatter created will chip the edge.

There will be a drilling speed chart on Google fo sho.I have picked up many bargains at

garage sales and junk shops,give 'em a grind ;) and theyr'e yours forever.

Cheers,G.

·
Registered
nissan
1,671 Posts
Good stuff guys , Yeah I always do a pilot hole and step it up And I use a bit of crc or oil or cutting fluid and just pick a nice steady speed that cuts well
Make sure your pilot hole isn't any more than 20% of the final hole size, otherwise you can get binding and chipping of the cutting edge on the bigger drill bit.

·
Registered
nissan
2,588 Posts
if you put 2 nuts side buy side the v in the middle is about what angle your drillbits should be, i think they are supposed to be 118' degrees if you want to get technical

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
Another vote for Sutton or P&N, have used them successfully for the last 50 years, others I've used unsuccessfully :rolleyes:.

I have number drills that go down to #80,,,,,,,, now that is hard to sharpen ;).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts