Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This study ran for twenty years and finished in 2010.

There were 1824 respondents aged between 55 and 65 at the commencement. Categorised as: non-drinkers, moderate drinkers and heavy drinkers.

After 20 years 69% of the non-drinkers had died, 60% of the heavy drinkers had died and 41% of the moderate drinkers had died.

These findings have been echoed by several other studies from around the world.

There is some speculation as to why this happens and what causes it. What other factors are involved, if any. Is the alcohol actually beneficial in a medicinal sense?

I have my own theory which is basically that having a few drinks reduces stress and anxiety and that is helpful for most of us.

Any other opinions or comments?

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
10,999 Posts
Now I really can call my beer fridge 'The giver of life'.

Well, kinda...

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was run by The University of Texas, state funded. The hypothesis was unknown and, I guess, not what they expected. It has been attacked by several groups but without success.

AA suggested that some of the non-drinkers might have been alcoholics who'd given up but the damage had already been done. Clutching at straws. I'm sure there is more research under way but it will take time, maybe another 20 years?

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,671 Posts
That's all good but my dad died at the age of 39 from alcohol.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,220 Posts
What is moderate drinking? Do I fit into that category?

I've had the observation that those who live a life without extreme are the ones that live the longest. That means they don't diet, go vegan, follow naturopathy, only eat fatty foods, only eat meat, drink lots or drink little. And whether or not it's the lifestyle or the personality, they usually are the most self satisfied and least stressed people too.

Both my sides of the family have a relatively consistent history. Dad's side is English/First White Aussie and generally are the meat and three veg type and moderate to low drinkers. They're you're typical picture of health (not fat, reasonable active, bland but text book balanced lifestyle), but apart from my Grandmother having cancer at 70, she's still kicking into her 80s very well. Most live to 70-80 and just about all I've known have at least made late 60s.

My Mum's side, Polish, Czechoslovakian, eat lots of fat and carbs, drink lots for a very long time, most were smokers until recently. They're over weight, they're relatively active (still farming or gardening). Apart from workplace related injuries and my cousin dying of cancer at 26 (he died without even being sick or knowing he had cancer), no history of problems. They don't really age from 50 on and all live well into their 70-90s. Mum's Dad had a heart attack and passed away whilst driving a couple years ago, but he was 78 and had no prior problems and was active.

Dad's side seem to die slowly and painfully, Mum's side quickly.

My missus' has a very similar family (Mum's side is Early White Aussie/English/French and her Dad's side is Ukrainian). They too have family members pass in a similar fashion.

Personally, I think that's enough evidence for me to continue following a relatively eastern european style lifestyle. Eat fatty carb loaded whole foods, drink lots, work hard and be satisfied with life.

EDIT: Might also add, that the men on both sides worked as Fitters and Turners except for my Dad, me and my Brother. All women were either stay at home mums or worked in the education system or both, except for my sister. That includes cousins, aunties and uncles, and grandparents.

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bad luck with your Dad Skeg. 39 is too young to go, for any reason.

All my family have been drinkers. Mostly the hard stuff, like whisky. Dad died at 70 but that was because of war injuries. My Grandfather drank too much and died of cirrhosis at 85.

G/grandfather made it to 92. Cause of death was 'senile decay' they could say that then. In modern times the Death Certificates are more specific. My G/grandfather's father was killed after being run over by a horse and cart at 56. All smoked too BTW.

Have you looked at your Dad's Death Certificate Skeg? Maybe there was something else lurking there?

·
Registered
nissan
1,961 Posts
My grandmother didnt drink, lived to 92.
Her husband had the odd scotch, never got drunk. Lived to 93.

My other grandmother has never had a drink in her life, is currently 93 and healthy.
Yet her husband who had never had a drink in his life either passed at 75 of a heart attack

Think it has more to to with genes than anything else.

·
Registered
nissan
1,671 Posts
I've had the observation that those who live a life without extreme are the ones that live the longest. That means they don't diet, go vegan, follow naturopathy, only eat fatty foods, only eat meat, drink lots or drink little. And whether or not it's the lifestyle or the personality, they usually are the most self satisfied and least stressed people too.
^^this. But I'm going to die early anyway, I have the wrong genetics. Family history of immune problems, kinda funny when you think I don't get sick, but strong chance I'll go with rheumatoid arthritis or another autoimmune disease.

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
10,999 Posts
It'll probably be cancer that gets me.
Have a good chance of getting it from both mum and dad's side. Mum reckons nearly everyone she can remember on her side has died of cancer.
Oh well, can't go through life worrying about it. If it happens, it happens. If not, cool.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
358 Posts
There were times I thought I'd die from drink, but after a day decided I wasn't.
But I suspose if I die, I won't wake up. So I won't know if the drink killed me.

·
Registered
nissan/patrol
3,663 Posts
Mate of mine never gets sick and he is a HEAVY drinker. Unfortunately it has ruined his life, lost his job, lost his house, lost support from his family and lost most of his mates but he seem to be healthy and never gets sick. I think the alcohol cleans his body of germs plus he never eats so bacteria can't enter his body through food.
Problem is with this immunity comes liver damage, heart problems and death. He is 29 been drinking a minimum of a slab a day since he was 16. He drank the good stuff when he was employed but now can only afford goon bags. He did work for a winery for a bit which helped him drink some better drops but that usually happened during work hours.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,220 Posts
Mate of mine never gets sick and he is a HEAVY drinker. Unfortunately it has ruined his life, lost his job, lost his house, lost support from his family and lost most of his mates but he seem to be healthy and never gets sick. I think the alcohol cleans his body of germs plus he never eats so bacteria can't enter his body through food.
When drink gets in the way of life, then that is when the self-satisfaction, stress and happiness drops off. I reckon the mental affect speeds up a person's decline, not really the drink.

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts
i eat and drink according to my turds.

if i have a meal and don't do a poo for a day, I will not eat that again because i don't like unblocking toilets filled with more than a day's worth of dark matter.

if i have a meal and poo practically as i finish, well i will probably avoid that meal in the future.

If i unload an entire roll of paper during the clean up, i also acknowledge something wasn't quite right and at multiple times consider if I needed to change my approach and consider a towel on a stick.

ghosties are just the peak of dietary goodness but i have trouble sticking to the strict meal timing and types of food which allow this glorious (and yet also suspicious) feat of digestion.

i generally aim for a 10 to 18hr turd-turn around from meals. generally speaking though, a shorter period is more desirable than a long bake.

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Are you sane? It really doesn't matter if you are or not. I recommend you eat plenty of peanuts, very good for stabilising the crapping.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts