Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, ive got this clunk that is driving me nuts.. happens when you change gears is u don't match the revs perfectly.
Can roll along in 4th at 60kph and when u take your foot off the throttle (clunk) when u get back on it (clunk). Have just replaced all the control arm bushes with genuine and it hasn't helped one bit.
Have had it up on stands and it does the same think altho hard to determine where the sound is coming from.

The gearbox and engine mounts seem fine. Engine doesn't move when u rev it, and the gearbox very little.

Thinking maybe driveshaft?
Anyone had a similar problem??

Cheers

·
Registered
nissan
460 Posts
mine is making the same noise, very annoying, sounds like something is going to break.

·
Registered
nissan
2,450 Posts
Yep, mine had a very small amount of play, had it recond, clunk went away.

Take off the rear tail shaft and drive it in front wheel drive, that will eliminate the diff and spline.

·
Registered
nissan
273 Posts
GOT THE SAME DISCOVERED gearbox mount is rooted. Did you check the mounts properly? Gonna replace mine next week.Sounds like exactly what mine does on off throttle feels like the car is gonna snap in 2.

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
You have checked you uni's haven't you. That would be the starting point in my opinion on a problem like this. It is obviously a clunk that is happening as power is transferred on or off through the transmission. Start at the rear driveshaft flange and work yourself back to the engine. ;);)

·
Registered
nissan
273 Posts
Yeah i def have this but my gearbox mount is knackered. I do however have a lot of turning play in the diff. But it seems the same in front diff also. Would that be set up like that because i run lockers? Sorry for highjacking.

·
Every dog has his day
nissan
18,237 Posts
Depends on type of locker. Air lockers or E lockers should be set to standard backlash, but autos have a little internal backlash of their own additional to crown/pinion movement.

Could also be a loose chain in transfer as a long shot.

·
Registered
nissan
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GOT THE SAME DISCOVERED gearbox mount is rooted. Did you check the mounts properly? Gonna replace mine next week.Sounds like exactly what mine does on off throttle feels like the car is gonna snap in 2.
The mount seems to be intact, no splits ect. altho they seem very soft normally. When its up on the stands I get the noise but the gearbox doesn't seem to move a great deal.

·
Registered
nissan
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You have checked you uni's haven't you. That would be the starting point in my opinion on a problem like this. It is obviously a clunk that is happening as power is transferred on or off through the transmission. Start at the rear driveshaft flange and work yourself back to the engine. ;);)
Have checked the pinion nut, diff backlash, tightened all drive shaft bolts and suspension components, replace all the rear bushes tightened tray mounts to no avail. Had it up on stands with the handbreak on, can barley feel any movement in the unis and the slightest bit in the spline. Engine doesn't move when its revved so I don't think its up that end.
is there any aftermarket stiffer gearbox mounts out there?

·
Registered
nissan
460 Posts
my rear shaft is fine, brand new with the extension, all unis are fine, I just checked the front tail shaft, unis seem ok but will replace, and there is slight movement in the slip joint, can pull and push on it. also my gearbox mount seems soft, can easily get movement out of it.

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
Have checked the pinion nut, diff backlash, tightened all drive shaft bolts and suspension components, replace all the rear bushes tightened tray mounts to no avail. Had it up on stands with the handbreak on, can barley feel any movement in the unis and the slightest bit in the spline. Engine doesn't move when its revved so I don't think its up that end.
is there any aftermarket stiffer gearbox mounts out there?
Does it do it in 4WD as well? :(

·
Registered
452 Posts
Another one to check is the lower control arm mounts to the chassis. If the bolt holes on the chassis are slightly ovalised then they can obviously move a bit and introduce slop and make noises, though mine made more of a cracking sound rather than a clunk. It might have come about from control arm bolts that were not up tightly enough in the past.
This could apply to all the control arm mount brackets on either the diff or chassis ends.

·
Registered
nissan
831 Posts
Interesting timing on this thread for me. This has been driving me nuts all week, had it in the shed today and with the shaft off the noise seems to be coming from the diff. As others have said, seems to be a fair bit of play in them but rotating the pinion by hand can reproduce the sound. Think it's about to go........heading to Swan Gully 4wd park on saturday......just might finish it off lol :confused:

·
Registered
nissan patrol y61 td4.2tdi
86 Posts
Rubber Suspension Bushes Failing

Hi Team,
from Apprentice Training days, it should be remembered that these resilient bushes should only have their fixings--nuts, bolts, etc.-- tightened when the full weight of the vehicle is on the suspension, this includes the Panhard Rods.

I usually like to drive the vehicle up and down the driveway a few times before tightening to really ensure the bushings have settled into their working positions.

Failure to do so will cause short term failure of the bushes--I seem to read of this occurrence here regularly lately.
Cheers,
Eddie B.

·
Registered
nissan
460 Posts
Today I replaced the rear upper and lower control arms with superior arms. all noises gone. fixed my issue!

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Today I replaced the rear upper and lower control arms with superior arms. all noises gone. fixed my issue!
That's good news, but Hally76 has replaced his rear bushes with no improvement so he is still looking, poor bugger :(

·
Registered
nissan
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Still haven't had any luck finding the culprit, even switched drive shafts with a mate and its still there as bad. Can something astray in the transfer cause this noise?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts