Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
buddha's beast
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In desperate need for help.

After replacing the door locking mechanism unit and actuator on the drivers door, I cant close the door. The locking mechanism wont move, so it just bounces off the door latch when I try and close it.

All the rods and power has been connected up and they all work.

Any ideas as I desperately need to drive somewhere tonight and I cant.

The parts were ordered via 'nizzbits', so that should not be the issue.

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
it may already be in the closed position , you can stick a screwdriver into the hole of the locking mechanism(where the latch on the body would normally sit) , lift door handle as if to open and slide the screw driver forward as if it is opening

if you compare it to the other doors you should see what is different and how it works........

i hope

good luck

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Can you use a medium phillips head screwdriver to unlock the latching mechanism?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,364 Posts
x2. just pull the handle up and you should hear it click back, as surgested you can double check by using a screwdriver as a dumby striker plate.

·
buddha's beast
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks heaps guys for the quick response and it worked.

The latch has freed itself and I can lock and unlock it via the key. Phew. You guys are legends.

However, I have now found another problem, which relates to the inside lock not working.
When I try to lock and unlock the door from the inside (not sure why I would want to do this anyway), there is a heap of resistance, but nothing.

I removed the complete unit to see if something was sticking and found that the armature between both units, that is linked to the rod from the inside door lock does not move at all.

I think I read somewhere else in the forum that this was a common issue, but fixed by removing a small metal rod that jams. Being a brand new unit, this is not an option for me.

Just waiting to hear back from Garry.

But thanks again guys for the quick response and easy fix.

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
yes alot of cars now wont let you lock the door unless it is closed and you have to use the key or keyless to lock it, i would say this is to stop people from locking their keys in the car

1 - 8 of 8 Posts