Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a weird problem...

i always noticed the drivers side was lower than the other..
2 weeks ago i got a2-3 inch lift from pedders, and i measured each side and found the drivers side is lower than the other, by about 2-3 cms... wondering if anyone has this problem?
I thought it was the suspension, but after the lift you can still notice the difference...

anyone have the same issue or know what it could be?

·
Registered
nissan
517 Posts
I know that with my springs along with many other manufacturers, the drivers side spring is bigger than the passenger side. Do you spring have part numbers stamped on them or L=Left R=Right? Is it possible they have been installed wrong way around?

·
Registered
nissan
447 Posts
usually even with the difference in spring size from left to right it will still be lower on the right as is mine, either put up with it or take it back and make them put a slightly longer spring in the right. mine was fixed after being back twice and now im happy, the new awning mounted on the left helped level it out as well

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i noticed it before the suspension upgrade, but pedders installed the new springs and shocks, im assuming they installed it correctly!? well i hope they did!
i will check tomorrow and see if the tags are still on... i only got concerned tonight when i measured and noticed the difference
i was just concerned there is a bigger problem...

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Hopefully it's the most obvious thing and they've put the springs around the wrong way. Otherwise they'd most likely have discovered the problem in their free 362 point safety checks and hit you up for some extra work.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hopefully it's the most obvious thing and they've put the springs around the wrong way. Otherwise they'd most likely have discovered the problem in their free 362 point safety checks and hit you up for some extra work.

haha!

lets hope not!

thing is, it was like that before the upgrade... i never noticed it but my mate did... i assumed it was saggy springs

i leave for Fraser on Thurs.... it doesn't bother me... still drives better

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
Got a weird problem...

i always noticed the drivers side was lower than the other..
2 weeks ago i got a2-3 inch lift from pedders, and i measured each side and found the drivers side is lower than the other, by about 2-3 cms... wondering if anyone has this problem?
I thought it was the suspension, but after the lift you can still notice the difference...

anyone have the same issue or know what it could be?
You say it was lower on one side before the upgrade, this is a concern. Have you owned it since new? if so how long has it been like that? if recent I would be having a good look with a torch up into the rear towers just to make sure there was no cracking or movement damage there, did they replace the top rubber mount/gasket or use your old ones?

They should have damn well noticed if it came in lopsided!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Patrol 2.8 TD
nissan patrol
1,640 Posts
silly question i know but, was the 4wd on a level surface when you measured it.

only reason im asking is mine parked downstairs slants and i worked out the surface was sloping.

the spare tyre probably doesnt help either.

Check it out

that was pre king springs. I still feel it slopes a bit even after kings and ome shocks, im going to have to measure it.

·
ZD30 Out - L77 In!
nissan patrol
3,346 Posts
I recon it’s fairly normal, but how much lower will depend on your accessories and other things hanging off the drivers side. I had a set of 60mm Dobinsons fitted for years and I’m sure the drivers side was longer when I fitted them, but after about 5 years the car sank on the right hand side. I had 30mm poly spacers in all round, so put 15mm spacers on the passenger side to level her out, which solved the problem.

When I removed and measured them, they were the same length each side, so the drivers side had collapsed.

A few weeks ago, I replaced my old Dobinson’s with a new set of HD 2” Suspension Stuff Flexy coils and guess what, it’s now sitting about 10mm lower on the drivers side again. The new coils were longer on the drivers side, so I suspect it’s all to do with the extra weight. If it gets much worse, I’ll just put the spacers back in.

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
This problem I had so I fitted to left springs on the front. Also another place is if the springs are seated correctly. On my LHD it was a nightmare when using ARB springs. Always a slight drop maybe 15mm but you notice and realy got on my tits. As I say the only way we have managed to solve this issue on LHD is to fitt to right springs or two left.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,333 Posts
I was talking to the local Suspension shop here in town as my Patrol suffered from this problem aswell they told me most cars will tilt slightly to the drivers side to offset the camber of the road i don't know if they were taking the p#ss or they were being straight up.

·
Workin for the weekend
nissan
431 Posts
I too hope its nothing bad, mine leans to the drivers side by about 15mm or so too, but mine only seems so when there is only the driver in, once a passenger is in it seems ok.
Remember you also have the fuel tank on that side and the spare tyre.
Hope its not a bent chassis.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
trickygav said:
... but pedders installed the new springs and shocks
then take it back to them, their problem

fwiw, Im with Chaz, 2cm is **** all. did you have a socket set on that side of the car the day you measured it?

·
Patrol 2.8 TD
nissan patrol
1,640 Posts
Would it not affect the way the car handles if its lower on 1 side though. Im taking mine back to find out wtf is going on.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
In talking to suspension people it would appear that vehicle height can vary 20mm from side to side etc and fall within acceptable limits taking into account a reasonable load and the balance of that load. I still wouldn't be happy and at least would request spacers be fitted to compensate before driving away.

But I would still be checking the towers for any signs of cracking or movement, it's not that uncommon.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU4 2006 with Cummins ISDE4.5 270HP , 830 NM Engine Conversion
2,129 Posts
talked to Nissan, the standard factory springs, left side springs are about 10mm lower than the right side ones. once the car is loaded ( one driver plus fuel tanks are full) the car is level. when installing new springs, make sure to have the 'shorter ones' in the left....

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,225 Posts
I would consider it normal, mine was leaning with the factory springs and almost exactly the same after I fitted a two inch lift.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
63 Posts
i could be wrong in my thinking, but wouldnt the camber of the road also have something to do with why the passenger side would side higher on a level ground.
you think about it, if the roads were dead flat you would want your cab to sit level with the road and therefore have your suspension equal, BUT as our roads camber off from right to left (as we drive) having slightly higher suspension on the passenger side would help with the overall cab road and making the bad sit level, but not necessarily true to the road.
hope that make sense?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts