Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

As my patrol ages (2009 GU 160k) I've found it impossible to enjoy driving it as I'm constantly worried what will go wrong next. Trips out bush are now tense unenjoyable times where all I do is listen for strange noises which really takes away from the whole thing. Nothing has gone seriously wrong in the past, but I've found I now just can't beat the nerves.

Does anyone else experience this and how do you stop the nerves and enjoy the ride?

Cheers
Brad

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
160k is nothing, it’s barely run in. Mines over 30 years old with 560k on it, and it goes like a train. I never worry about it because I know it’s got another 400k in it yet. Look after the basic maintenance and it will keep on keeping on. Just tell yourself that it has an impeccable pedigree, and that there’s hundreds of patrols out there with two, three, four times the mileage that are still strong, so there’s no reason to worry about it. And that some things that can go wrong can happen to a vehicle that’s virtually new, regardless of maintenance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probably exactly what I needed to hear. Appreciate the advice @andrew1964. I think a lot of the ZD30 talk has gotten to me over time

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
49,221 Posts
Probably exactly what I needed to hear. Appreciate the advice @andrew1964. I think a lot of the ZD30 talk has gotten to me over time
2009, still almost new, as I've said to many over the years questioning the reliability of the ZD30, once you get past the very early ones they are no worse than any other diesel engine. If you have been keeping maintenance up to it then travel with confidence.

·
Registered
689 Posts
160k's - that's nothing, like andrew 1964 said - barely run in ! as long as you give her regular services you've got a couple of hundred thousand k's at least before you should even worry about worrying........

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,295 Posts
As my patrol ages ..
I've heard this story before from people about different 4x4s and I've come to the conclusion it has more to do with the aging of the driver than the aging of the car. As the years tick by we get less able to deal with adversity and want to eliminate everything we can from our lives that might possibly go wrong. I know grey nomads that have never had a problem on the road but have become increasingly worried about all the things that might go wrong and have given away traveling because of it.

Compared to many of us your car is still just a pup. Like the others have said, maintain it regularly and you have nothing to be concerned about.

·
Registered
nissan gq
2,469 Posts
Hi everyone,

As my patrol ages (2009 GU 160k) I've found it impossible to enjoy driving it as I'm constantly worried what will go wrong next. Trips out bush are now tense unenjoyable times where all I do is listen for strange noises which really takes away from the whole thing. Nothing has gone seriously wrong in the past, but I've found I now just can't beat the nerves.

Does anyone else experience this and how do you stop the nerves and enjoy the ride?

Cheers
Brad
There may be,among your friends others who will be interested to travel in convoy to the places of mutual interest,share experiences and company,so you will have mutual support. (y)

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Buy a Land Rover and drive it, say, once a month to the shops (and back if it can). It'll change your perspective. :ROFLMAO:
That’s a bit harsh. I did well over 200,000km my Disco2. And the transmission and some super **** trades people were the only things that made it be towed home.
Even a half dead fuel pump I drove to work and home again.
Also parts are surprisingly cheap.

As for the OP. I’m at 324,000ish km’s. They are no worse than any other high km car.
I haven’t had anything fail. I just have items that I am putting on the maintenance list. Like alternator (one way bearing has been dead for about 40,000km’s) and idler is getting lazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
Triton n Lovin it.
27,110 Posts
Pffffft, I had a 2002 3ltr and it cost me $400 for a new drag link rod and sold it with 365000klms on it. Had no mods or NADS and only a 2" suspension lift. ;)

Foo

1 - 11 of 11 Posts