Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not that it's any state secret but I won't mention in this thread what brand of Dropbox/arms I use because I don't want it to appear that I'm having a go at them, which im definitely not, this is a general maintenance thing.

I'm currently on hols and am in Carnarvon. Yesterday noticed a bit of rattling under the car, particularly over speed humps and also, oddly, when braking.

So back at the caravan park I've had a good look under, suspecting loose bolt on a brake caliper or something.

Eventually I find it; the bolts in the dropboxes that go through the hole in the chassis where the radius arm used to go. One was loose enough that it could move back and forth about 2mm, hence the rattle, even with nylocs. The other side not as bad, but definitely not as tight as it should have been.

So I took them out, drop or two of loctite, and did them up with a 600mm breaker bar.

No more rattle.

Now the gearbox crossmember bolts were not loose, so I'm not saying the diff was about to fall out, I'm just suggesting that when you change your oil and are under the car with a grease gun, take a spanner and a socket and check the drop box bolts are tight, one minute for peace of mind!

·
Registered
nissan
885 Posts
Had exactly the same thing happen recently. Had been listening to the noise for a while, figured it was a caliper or even a body mount. Tightened it up and all good. Once again, not a product issue, just a general lack of maintenance on my behalf.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
i have had this happen with std radius arms with the OEM mechanical lock nuts on the GRR. had to use a piece of road sign as a washer, a couple of pieces of my favorite thongs (RIP) as bushes and a nut off the diff end radius arm mount (kept the bolt wired in with some fencing wire). got me to kunnas so i could buy another pair of thongs.

it's a pre-start check for me if i've been driving corries. as are the caliper bolts - lost one of them on the way out to the gas dash one yr.

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HA!!!

I, too, have sacrificed a favorite thong (no, Dronus, the footwear variety), on the alter of continued forward progress.

It was on the western edge of the Simpson Desert, I had a pwr radiator and because of incompetent manufacture the bottom of the passenger side tank rubbed on the head of an M6 bolt that Mr Nissan put there until it eventually rubbed through and started to leak. One tube of silver seal fixed the leak, and a strip of thong folded in half rammed in there with a screwdriver kept it the couple of mm further away that it needed. Then a week later... Identical spot driver's side same problem on GCR near NT/WA border. Lucky I kept the remains of the thong just in case ;-)

Glad to see I'm not the only one !

·
Premium Member
nissan gu td42ti
4,665 Posts
And here's me thinking that my DropBox account is under threat after reading the heading. Till I started reading hahaha

Good info. Never had this issue but have had knocking from panhard under a standing steering turn especially on a gutter or driveway. But worth another check to make sure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts