Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Dropped an RB30 motor into what was my GU 2.8TD... The motor has managed/looks like it has got onto the gearbox shaft (dont know if this is the problem) and the bellhousing bolts were going on fine... when we put the gearbox into gear i tried to turn the motor by hand it didnt seem to be holding and the motor just kept spinning as it was in neautral.

I can see the flywheel spinning from the starter motor hole but thats about it.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
nissan
502 Posts
did you match the spline on gearbow with the clutch plate? for memory you will need to use the clutch form the RD28.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Obvious things first i suppose. Transfer case in gear? Clutch plate in correctly, not turned around the wrong way? Gear lever seated properly, if removed before.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I could agree with you on that and does sound like it may be the problem (which i will test and check).. but my mate did a similar conversion on a GQ though and used the 2.8 gearbox on his car as they are the same. He then installed a Safari Tuff Clutch GQ RB30 exact same one as mine to that gearbox and his car is running like a charm at the moment.

·
Registered
nissan
502 Posts
thats all it could be either the pressure plate isnt ingaging(doupt it) or the splines are different. or you have no 1st geaq ;)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thats all it could be either the pressure plate isnt ingaging(doupt it) or the splines are different. or you have no 1st geaq ;)

Gearbox was never touched/removed for this conversion and was working smoothly with my 2.8TD..

Ill remove the clutch and match the spline on the gearbox tonight and see the results.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
241 Posts
I reckon Benos is on the money, i had the exact same problem years ago when putting a turbo motor in my old MQ
turned out the flywheels on the turbo motors were thicker and when I bolted the motor up the clutch was fully disengaged
I think that also the thrust bearing carrier was a different length and this was also causing issues
It was so long ago I don't really remember how we got around it but we did get there in the end :)

·
Registered
nissan GU iv 2006
1,717 Posts
Hey mate, somthing doesn't look right in that first photo, the splines on the input shaft should come right through the clutch plate????

·
Registered
nissan
502 Posts
Ok then somthing else is missing. the way this clutch looks it should be fine. in the first post you said you could see the fly wheel spining when turning over if thats the case the gearbox should be getting drive. you havent taken the tail shaft off for any reason have ya? there should be drive from the rear of the Box.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The first photo just shows overall pic and that i have placed clutch and pressure plate on without putting any force so its not on spline but then using my fingers on second photo i push everything right in and it sits right back.

The gearbox has not been touched at all. I have not disconnected anything.

When i put the motor in, i can feel it slide onto the shaft. Engine mounts sits in place and bellhousing bolts match to screw in. I put the bellhousing bolts on but not tightened all the way so i can atleast test if the clutch has slid onto the spline, but still spins free..

·
Registered
nissan GU iv 2006
1,717 Posts
Hey mate, have you tried to fit it all to the box?? EG remoove fly wheel from engine, fit up the clutch then fit it all back into the bell housing and test???? Are you 100% sure that then transfer case is not in nutral as prev said??

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Definitely not in neatural because when i dummy fit the clutch on shaft and spin when in gear it locks and doesnt turn.. obviously needs more turning power after that to move the car.. cant do it by hand.

My only concern is when the clutch plate and pressure plate are pushed right back up againts the bearing the spline on the shaft just shows on the clutch plate as per the second photo... im just wondering if thats how its meant to be or are we suppose to see more of the spline come through.

·
Grenade Master
GU4 05
2,614 Posts
I'd double check if the friction plate is facing correct way as well, I've seen this before when the hub of the friction plate bottoms against either pressure plate or flywheel before the pressure plate can on the friction surface properly you only need a "mill" or two and while it looks fine visually the clamping force is not sufficient to transfer the torque from the engine. Cheers

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
My only concern is when the clutch plate and pressure plate are pushed right back up againts the bearing the spline on the shaft just shows on the clutch plate as per the second photo... im just wondering if thats how its meant to be or are we suppose to see more of the spline come through.

when you bolt up the clutch assembly to the flywheel , those fingers ( what the bearing sits against) will move inwards a bit allowing the clutch assembly to sit back a bit more , so more of the spline will be visable when assembled

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I believe i worked out the problem, but need some opinions.

The difference between a GQ and a GU 2.8 gearbox even though they are identical is that the GU one has a spacer on the front bell housing allowing for room so the 2.8 motor's dual mass flywheel will fit in which means the shaft on the gearbox sits a little more back allowing the clutch & pressure plate to fit in.

So, what im using at the moment is the GQ RB30 flywheel which is thinner in size, plus the clutch and pressure plate, which then dropping in the motor hits the spacer on the gearbox and does not slide into the shaft all the way hence causing it to spin freely and not sliding onto the shaft correctly.

Problems around this -

If you remove the spacer from the gearbox the motor will not sit in place right having to modify the engine mounts which i dont want to do.

I could probably fit the GU dual mass flywheel onto the RB30 using the GQ clutch because they are really similar but i assume that will provide me with more torque less power revs at higher end.

Other option is to get a GQ RB30 gearbox where by the shaft sits alot further out but i dont know if i will still have to modify engine mounts for it to fit OR the rear tail shaft.. any help with this would be great.. i dont know if there is any difference in the rear tail shaft of a GQ/GU

This is giving me a headache!

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I believe i worked out the problem, but need some opinions.

The difference between a GQ and a GU 2.8 gearbox even though they are identical is that the GU one has a spacer on the front bell housing allowing for room so the 2.8 motor's dual mass flywheel will fit in which means the shaft on the gearbox sits a little more back allowing the clutch & pressure plate to fit in.

So, what im using at the moment is the GQ RB30 flywheel which is thinner in size, plus the clutch and pressure plate, which then dropping in the motor hits the spacer on the gearbox and does not slide into the shaft all the way hence causing it to spin freely and not sliding onto the shaft correctly.

Problems around this -

If you remove the spacer from the gearbox the motor will not sit in place right having to modify the engine mounts which i dont want to do.

I could probably fit the GU dual mass flywheel onto the RB30 using the GQ clutch because they are really similar but i assume that will provide me with more torque less power revs at higher end.

Other option is to get a GQ RB30 gearbox where by the shaft sits alot further out but i dont know if i will still have to modify engine mounts for it to fit OR the rear tail shaft.. any help with this would be great.. i dont know if there is any difference in the rear tail shaft of a GQ/GU

This is giving me a headache!
You can just get a solid flywheel for a GU. I dont think you can remove the spacer as it is cast in one peice.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You can just get a solid flywheel for a GU. I dont think you can remove the spacer as it is cast in one peice.
Yes, i ended up getting an exedy single mass flywheel conversion kit with a H/D safari tuff clutch to suit. Ill be dropping in the motor hopefully this weekend to see if this time it will fit onto the shaft which fingers crossed it should... weather pending of course bloody melbourne.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts