Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok got stuck in a rather sticky hole with fair amount of silt in it, and after a couple of tries forward and backwards, I lost all drive, after we pulled it out the clutch was slipping badly, by the end of the day it seems to have come right

only has 20,000 on the clutch, and no slipping before today, flywheel machined when fitted etc

so my question is, would you go to the hassle of pulling it out and checking/cleaning and if ok refit

or buy and fit a new clutch plate

or just leave it be and see if it slips again before worrying about it

·
Registered
93 SWB Maverick
1,393 Posts
Some people have luck of removing the fork boot, sticking the hose in there and washing it best as possible.. then taking it for a drive to dry all the water up. best you can do without pulling the box.

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
Some people have luck of removing the fork boot, sticking the hose in there and washing it best as possible.. then taking it for a drive to dry all the water up. best you can do without pulling the box.

yep , thats what i did, just make sure you go for a long drive after cause if there is any water left on it then it will rust together, i also sprayed some brake cleaner in there with it running to flush out water and crap, it came up really good after that

·
Part of the furniture
nissan
4,563 Posts
i would also say,

if your going to do this, i suggest not pumping the clutch pedel.
comon sence prevails, and im not suggesting anyone is that .....

but i have seen people, doing this, and get their mate to pump the pedel to make sure its troughoutly cleaned.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sounds like giving the washing out a try first would be the go :) fingers crossed it works, really dont want to take the box out for a second time in three months :(

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i would also say,

if your going to do this, i suggest not pumping the clutch pedel.
comon sence prevails, and im not suggesting anyone is that .....

but i have seen people, doing this, and get their mate to pump the pedel to make sure its troughoutly cleaned.
and the result was crushed fingers or hose end :crazy:

good suggestion its'a

might get some of the water dispelling stuff that should work as good

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
and the result was crushed fingers or hose end :crazy:

good suggestion its'a

might get some of the water dispelling stuff that should work as good
careful what you use...
brake cleaner only. if you get in there with wd40 you'll stuff it.
and somehow don't wash the lubricant out of the thrust bearing.

·
Registered
nissan
11,202 Posts
sounds likesomeone needs a new clutch boot and slaz all the joining surfaces to prevent as best as possible any water or silt entry.
have also heard of a few people using small compressers and pressureing the bellhousing to prevent water entry. for next time anyway.

·
Premium Member
nissan
1,201 Posts
yeah, my understanding is the silt clogs the clutch plate up and it cant close down again and clamp, so cleaning it should help. if your making some power you should find out on road pretty quick if its gonna slip again

best option is really dont use the clutch underwater :p or especially not in mud, unless your confident about how well sealed it all is...

·
Registered
93 SWB Maverick
1,393 Posts
I have found you need to RTV or silicone the box and all open areas when putting the box back in with new clutch. They RTV them from factory for that exact reason.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
theres a little plastic rectangle plug in the bottom that's often missing too.
the idea is you pull it out after crossing water to let any out. the thing is the scrub pulls them out for you.

·
Registered
nissan
109 Posts
yeah, i had the exact same problem. turns out, it was the final straw for the stock clutch (400,000klicks) and a new heavy duty exedy was in store, along with new clutch boot, master and slave cyls. she runnin orrite now though!!
sounds likesomeone needs a new clutch boot and slaz all the joining surfaces to prevent as best as possible any water or silt entry.
have also heard of a few people using small compressers and pressureing the bellhousing to prevent water entry. for next time anyway.
good idea!!! i cant say as ive ever heard of that before.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok hosed it out there other day, and nothing much came out at all (just clean water)

the little square bung is missing, and sofar touch wood the clutch hasn't slipped again

·
Registered
Nissan GQ ute 1990
128 Posts
same thing happen to me hosed it out but a couple days later it got worse.

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
I have found you need to RTV or silicone the box and all open areas when putting the box back in with new clutch. They RTV them from factory for that exact reason.
X2. RTV the fork boot, both sides of the sandwich plate between the bellhousing and engine block and dont forget around the starter motor too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts