Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Nissan
Discussion Starter #1
So I got quite deep into the water yesterday...the car filled with a good amount of water. It cut out pretty quick I reckon it was water in the intake that choked it. We pulled it out of the water and tried to start it but it cranked for a while then stopped abruptly like it was hydrolocked. We managed to tow it all the way out with @benf98 beast and got it home. Tried cranking it again and it cranked fine albeit with heaps of water pumping out the exhaust. My question is this. Before doing that puddle I have always heard the tank fuel pump when I turn the key on but now I don't. It cranks for ages and doesn't kick over. I reckon it could be lack of fuel from the fuel pump not working. Does anyone know what could be the problem?
IMG-20200801-WA0001.jpg

Registered
nissan gq
So I got quite deep into the water yesterday...the car filled with a good amount of water. It cut out pretty quick I reckon it was water in the intake that choked it. We pulled it out of the water and tried to start it but it cranked for a while then stopped abruptly like it was hydrolocked. We managed to tow it all the way out with @benf98 beast and got it home. Tried cranking it again and it cranked fine albeit with heaps of water pumping out the exhaust. My question is this. Before doing that puddle I have always heard the tank fuel pump when I turn the key on but now I don't. It cranks for ages and doesn't kick over. I reckon it could be lack of fuel from the fuel pump not working. Does anyone know what could be the problem? View attachment 522156
Should have pulled sparkplugs before cranking,but that said,you have an extensive job ahead, 馃挬 is it fresh or salt water ? disconnect the battery to reduce further electrolysis,until you have dried out the majority of the electrics.

Registered
Nissan
Discussion Starter #3
so i pulled the soaked ecu out and dried it. Now it fires and runs for a while but is clearly struggling for fuel. The fuel pump doesn't seem to be doing its thing. Anyway, hopefully she'll be all good.

Registered
Nissan
Discussion Starter #5
Well. Got her running. Turns out fuel pump fuse was blown. Runs slightly rough with a bit of black smoke. Also does small backfires in the airbox when you rev it the first time. I'm thinking maybe lack of spark somewhere? Anyway, now to dry the carpets...

Registered
And change gearbox, diff (s), xfer oils and check wheel bearings, swivels and uni's.
Also alternator might need keeping an eye on for bearing and brush noises.
Aircon front bearing may also be compromised as well as dried mud in radiators etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts