I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
16,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
Get a simple Nikon 'Coolpix.' You don't need high quality resolution for posting online.

Film used to be different, but not any more. I use Nikon and Sony cameras all the time and find them more than adequate.

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,795 Posts
Originally posted this in the general discussion thread but it appears to be getting lost. Has anyone trie the Chinese cameras? I don't wish to pay big bucks for a Japanese one, I'll only use it for happy snaps.
Online Buy Wholesale digital slr cameras cheap from China digital slr cameras cheap Wholesalers | Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
It is a step up from the pocket camera and the phone, several different lenses and a bit more control.
Yes it is a step up from a pocket if you want more control of composition, but I would look hard at the lenses, or ensure that the lens ring is suitable for mounting good cheap lenses like tamroc or cannon, or can take an adaptor ring.

Rig I was on a guy got a cheapie from China, original lens produced blurry photos (never saw it personally), but it did take decent pictures with a cannon lens.

Reactions: rgren2

·
Registered
nissan
978 Posts
I'm sure there is a place for it.

On a stereotyping/nationality level, (which is politically incorrect) I'd prefer to buy Japanese for elrctronics/moving part combination.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
16,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Get a simple Nikon 'Coolpix.' You don't need high quality resolution for posting online.

Film used to be different, but not any more. I use Nikon and Sony cameras all the time and find them more than adequate.
Not interested in posting on line, just having a little more control.
DB's post on lenses makes sense, can often pick up Japanese lenses from hock shops reasonably cheaply.

·
I'm not really a Newbie
nissan
3,909 Posts
Are you looking for an entry level DSLR?

How much do you want to spend?

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
16,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you looking for an entry level DSLR?

How much do you want to spend?
Just looking at the moment. Spend as little as possible. I did do a Main Study on photography during my college days, I know a little but not an expert. I just wish to have more control than trying to work through the menus on the pocket cameras when I wish for particular shots. Macro for the myriad of Frangipanni flowers we have or see, long shots or wide. Also shutter speed, aperture size etc.

·
I'm not really a Newbie
nissan
3,909 Posts
Your main quality of images will be in your lenses but you probably know that 😊 id stick to a basic entry level nikon or canon with the twin lense kit and go from there, add some macro lenses if you choose.

Will make it much easier to get accessories and lenses later on. I started off with a d3100 and it was pretty cheap 😊

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
16,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your main quality of images will be in your lenses but you probably know that 😊 id stick to a basic entry level nikon or canon with the twin lense kit and go from there, add some macro lenses if you choose.

Will make it much easier to get accessories and lenses later on. I started off with a d3100 and it was pretty cheap 😊
Sounds like good advice, Japanese quality from start. BTW when I was young ( great song https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ur30bn_3G58) Japanese stuff was rubbish.

Reactions: Bekah

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
'I didn't even need it but for that price I bought it anyway ��'

Sums up my point of view.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
16,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I saw that one just before I replied. Be a little while before I purchase. Setting myself up to be a grey nomad. Just blew my eBay money on a fridge and 2 iPhones so will need to save for a while. Having to help the son and heir out with his rent slows the saving rate.

·
I'm not really a Newbie
nissan
3,909 Posts
I do some professional photography esty, always good to have backup lenses.

Never know when you might need them 😊

·
Registered
243 Posts
subject

If you are looking for a good all rounder...one with built in Macro, excellent zoom capabilities, 1080HD stills and great video producer, hunt around and get a Sony Cybershot DSC-H9.

I've had mine a few years now and taken many thousands of stills and miles of video footage. It has a great battery life and is stupidly easy to use. Initial price was around the 300 mark, but a good second hand one will be cheaper.

One of the best features is the large LCD viewfinder which can be swivelled around to a position which suits the shooter...if you want to shoot from a position above your head, maybe over the top of a crowd, for instance, swivel the viewfinder down towards your face and hold the camera as high as you like...you will be able to position your shot perfectly.

It also comes with a remote control unit which I have found, works great from more than 100 metres.

This Sony uses Zeiss lenses, which are pretty good!

Happy with mine...and I've tried dozens of others, some good,some bad, but usually more expensive.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
425 Posts
Bought a Nikon 5500 and haven't looked back. Came with a tele lens along with the normal lens. Cost $803 delivered off Kogan. A twit in jb hifi tried to sell me an equivalent Sony slr citing it has been around longer than Nikon and take better pictures. Asked if the Sony had GPS stamping and wifi which was a sheepish no...love the wifi transfer instantly to the phone and instantly and $800 cheaper than Sony.

image.jpg

·
Registered
nissan
1,961 Posts
Something like a Panasonic Lumix FZ200 may be better suited to your needs and budget.
It has all the general controls of a DSLR and a low F2.8 Apeture across the full zoom range.
So no need to update/change expensive lense

As others pointed out the lense quality is the main factor in image quality from a DSLR so I would expect the china lenses to be terrible for that price. Even if you did by the cheap camera, fitting a decent lense will cost you $$$$ if it is even possible.

·
Registered
nissan
2,863 Posts
I went for the Canon EOS1100d back in the day and for $400 you can't go wrong. (That's just the first one i saw, I've seen them closer to $300, which seems right in your ballpark!)

Brand NEW IN BOX SLR Canon EOS Rebel T3 1100D Camera EF S 18 55mm III Lens KIT | eBay

The standard lens that comes with it is reasonable, the one above is also optically stabilised to reduce blur in low light.

Very easy to use, and plenty of lenses available to upgrade if you wish.
I slapped a Sigma 120-400mm lens on it and the photo quality is quite good as far as I'm concerned.

If you're on facebook, check out my Mungrel Images, all the early stuff (2013) was done with the 1100D

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,028 Posts
With the current price of entry model DSLRs from the name brands there is no way I'd be considering a no name Chinese item. As DB pointed out their lense quality is crap and you can't tell that from reading a list of specs. If you are only after happy snaps I wouldn't be looking for a DSLR anyway. They are just too big. One of the ultra zoom compacts should be more than adequate. Something like this. https://www.jbhifi.com.au/cameras/compact-cameras/olympus/olympus-sh-1-16mp-digital-camera/563007/

Or this.
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/cameras/c...0-1mp-ultra-zoom-digital-camera-black/659972/

Cheers,

·
Registered
243 Posts
Bought a Nikon 5500 and haven't looked back. Came with a tele lens along with the normal lens. Cost $803 delivered off Kogan. A twit in jb hifi tried to sell me an equivalent Sony slr citing it has been around longer than Nikon and take better pictures. Asked if the Sony had GPS stamping and wifi which was a sheepish no...love the wifi transfer instantly to the phone and instantly and $800 cheaper than Sony.

View attachment 227098
The Sony I have is slightly smaller than this one...the viewfinder is at the back, where it should be..you don't have to carry a spare lens...built in optical zoom is 15X, stretching out to 30X, if you like the digital zoom function. It has image stabilizer and a heap of other settings which are applied automatically...you can choose your own specific settings, if you are into that sort of thing.

Just one other thing....if the Nikon cost 800 less than the Sony...enjoy the 500 bucks the salesman gave you, to take it away!!

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,795 Posts
Agren2, the thing to remember if you buy a dirt cheap camera is that you may have much difficulty in using different lenses if the lenses that came with the camera are chit (and that is highly likely).

Not all cameras will mount a fairly standard lens from a different manufacturer. And if they will mount straight on to the china cheapie it is most likely that none of the 'auto' features will operate so you will be locked into manual for everything to do with the lens like focal length, aperture and speed.

If you do have to get new decent lenses you are looking at a couple of hundred, the really cheap lenses you see in hock shops etc are no good as it is most likely that they will not fit. They are in the shop coz they are old tech.

I always trawl these shops looking for lenses for my D70s and D7100, you don't find much that will work, and what does the shops like cash converters know exactly what they have and will charge appropriately,

So, if you are going to spend $160 on a cheap chinese DSLR, and then most likely have to look at a better lens I can see you spending >$400.

Therefore, to me it would make sense to say ferkit and just by a nikon for a hundred bucks more.

See this excellent starter camera; Nikon VBK330ZA D3200 Single Lens Kit (18-55mm) at The Good Guys

Hunt around, I am sure you will find it cheaper somewhere.

You get a top rate camera where you will have a heap of cheap after market equipment available to you. And the 18-55 VR lens is excellent and will cover almost all you need except telephoto. You will love the VR in lens aspect to give you sharper pictures.

Also, say you get a Nikon D3200 with a 18-55mm lens for $450. You can then add another lens later, and more importantly, if at a later date you wanted to upgrade to a D5200 or a D7100 you can keep your lenses and just buy the body.

Personally, there are a lot of good 'brand' name cameras that will be cheaper to own and operate in the long run that any chinese knock-off.

Some things you should just stump up the readies and buy decent, or it will cost you more in the long run.

(obviously I am a Nikon man, but the same applies to Cannon etc.)

1 - 20 of 61 Posts